The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Screw this.

If this is how Nick is going to release this show then they're not getting a single damn penny from me... unless they include an isolated score and/or 5.1 audio mix.

What the hell are they even thinking? It's not Spongebob, it's not like each episode is self-contained. There are story arcs and timelines and stuff. At least 4Kids' releases were tentatively in an understandable order, even if it wasn't chronological.

First you release the short version of Turtles Forever in full screen and now this BS. Come on Nick, at least try a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
its not illegal there are tons of Cartoon shows on youtube to watch. If it was Illegal Youtube would have them all taken down and accounts suspended.
Of course it's illegal.

tmntuploader had his account removed since he had every episode of the 4Kids series on there, as did ForeverMutation. I've even had one or two of my videos removed with 4Kids content.

Just because people do it doesn't mean it isn't illegal.

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 03-23-2015 at 03:17 PM.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

What I also don't get is why they're seemingly releasing the last 6 episodes of Season 1 first? Apparently its the "Return to New York" 3 parter and then "Lone Raph and Cub" with "Search for Splinter." so the last 6 Season 1 episodes.

I mean its exactly the same as the 4kids DVDs from 2003 that released only 3 eps per disc. Did we time travel back to 2003 or something? When was the last time 3 episodes per DVD was considered acceptable...over a decade ago?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #23
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
its not illegal there are tons of Cartoon shows on youtube to watch. If it was Illegal Youtube would have them all taken down and accounts suspended.

I watched the first season of 2003 turtles on youtube.

besides that show came out in 2003 so its old
Yes...it IS illegal unless the actual copyright holder is the one posting them. CyberCubed is exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You're confusing companies legally putting their shows up on youtube compared to fans uploaded episodes on youtube. There are official shows on youtube based on official channels, that's why you see stuff up there.

Shows that are put up by fans on youtube are technically illegal. I doubt any of us really care about that, but its a shame we have to resort to youtube rather than proper DVD releases
Yes...it is a shame that's how we have to watch this show. I rarely watch a youtube video, but I have been watching this series with my 5 year old on youtube as it's the only way to watch it. Unfortunately I didn't watch the show when it originally aired, so I desperately want a video release of this!!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have all the episodes downloaded to my computer but I am part of the "old guard" that prefers watching stuff on TV with physical discs.

I dislike streaming media and I only watch things on the computer if I have to. Nothing beats sitting down in a chair and watching a blu-ray/DVD on your big-screen TV.

I hate the itunes generation that's phasing out physical media forcing us to watch shows on our tiny phones or ipads.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #25
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
I hate the itunes generation that's phasing out physical media forcing us to watch shows on our tiny phones or ipads.
Exactly. Streaming things have lower bitrates - and therefore lower quality - than physical media. Even if it's convenient sometimes, it shouldn't be the be-all end-all.

Did you know that CD audio is far superior to anything that you can get on iTunes?

Same goes for film. You can't tell on your silly iPhones/iPads, but there's a lot of pixelation and degradation in a film/TV show from being encoded to fit on a mobile device. If I were a filmmaker, I'd be a little disheartened to see people watching my movie - which I put a lot of time and money into creating, with lots of thought and consideration into the details - on their tiny, stupid iPhone screen.

Maybe when most people's internet connections get ultra-fast, physical media will have less of a purpose for existence in terms of A/V quality. But for now they're here to stay.

But there's also the practical reason of having a feeling of "owning" the media through the possession of a disc. I have lots of music on my computer that I don't have a physical CD for, and it doesn't feel like I really "have" the music. If I had the proper materials I might try to print out a few CD labels and jewel case inserts to put them in, but I don't have the time nor the interest to go through all that.

I think people who want to keep all their media - photos, music, video, and even books - "in the cloud" are tacky hipsters.

TL;DR - I whine about iTunes being low-quality.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #26
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
I have all the episodes downloaded to my computer but I am part of the "old guard" that prefers watching stuff on TV with physical discs.
I dislike streaming media and I only watch things on the computer if I have to. Nothing beats sitting down in a chair and watching a blu-ray/DVD on your big-screen TV.
If you prefer watching on a television to watching on a computer, then why did you switch from watching this show on dvd to watching it on computer?
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #27
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

To Nickelodeon.

Piss On You.
Piss on Your POS DVD's.
Piss on your 'out of order, only 3 episodes per Disc' crap that Nobody will Buy.
Piss on 'nope, no Season Boxsets.'
Piss on you not giving a flying crap about the 2003 show.
Piss on you for not just letting it go to another company who could maybe DO something with the release.
Piss on you Royally Screwing This Up.
Piss on Your Own Face, Nick.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrminister4446 View Post
Why do people here want DVD's anyways? Why not just watch it on youtube? Plug your laptop to your TV and problem solved.
Three words:

Pride.
Of.
Ownership.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #29
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
If you prefer watching on a television to watching on a computer, then why did you switch from watching this show on dvd to watching it on computer?
Do you realize how mind-bogglingly hard it is to find DVDs for this series, let alone be able to purchase them? Some of the harder-to-find ones go for over 100 bucks!!

Nick doesn't need to do a lot to get my money. If they just picked up where 4Kids left off with half-season releases, I'd buy them. If they just released a soundtrack CD, I'd buy it. If they just released one DVD that had nothing but special features, I'd buy it.

I don't even care if they make a special box set or not. All they need to do is do a competent job at releasing... something! and I'd swallow it up, as would others.

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 03-23-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
What I also don't get is why they're seemingly releasing the last 6 episodes of Season 1 first? Apparently its the "Return to New York" 3 parter and then "Lone Raph and Cub" with "Search for Splinter." so the last 6 Season 1 episodes.

I mean its exactly the same as the 4kids DVDs from 2003 that released only 3 eps per disc. Did we time travel back to 2003 or something? When was the last time 3 episodes per DVD was considered acceptable...over a decade ago?
They probably did it that way because they also were releasing on VHS still way back when, and didn't want to undercut their own profits by offering the situation of "buy 12 VHS tapes or 1 DVD set at significantly less". Instead, they offered "buy 12 VHS tapes or 12 DVD disks at pretty much the same cost."

Quote:

Totally with you, CC. Pride of ownership to me means that I can actually hold something in my sticky sweaty hands. No downloads, please.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #31
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
To Nickelodeon.

Piss on you for not just letting it go to another company who could maybe DO something with the release.
Like Shout! Factory.

Dammit Nickelodeon, just put out Back to the Sewer in a complete set. No, just put out the whole damn series in a complete set, and make sure you've got the episodes IN THE CORRECT ORDER.

And yes, I'm an old fossil who actually likes having things on a physical format.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #32
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Basically everything I would've said has already been said. I was ready to jump on these til I saw "Each single-disc volume includes 3 first season episodes" - hmmmm. Think I'll pass on that one.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #33
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

When companies do stupid stuff like this...this is the kind of crap that promotes bootlegging and illegal stuff.

Instead of doing the Field of Dreams thing of 'if you build it, they will come'...we just get crap after crap releases. Crappy release of Turtles Forever, and crappy releases of the 2003 show.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #34
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

Pass until they do it right. I gave up years ago and tracked down all the dvd's i was missing. It wasn't so bad since I already had all of the multi-disk sets.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #35
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

The cover art on these is a real turn off. The previous DVD releases may not have amazing covers, but at least they grab your attention and weren't an eyesore to look at.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120210.../dvd_toons.htm
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #36
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Yeah I think I'll just stick with the collection I have now if that's okay with everybody.

What makes it sadder is that Nick probably thinks it's throwing us a bone by doing this when that bone just isn't in any good condition to be chewed.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #37
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
Yeah I think I'll just stick with the collection I have now if that's okay with everybody.

What makes it sadder is that Nick probably thinks it's throwing us a bone by doing this when that bone just isn't in any good condition to be chewed.
Yeah it's a bone that just leaves splinters. (No pun intended.)
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #38
pennydreadful
trash

This is absolute crap. I'm dying for a 2k3 release and there's no way in hell I'm buying this. I can already see how this will play out - the crappy release won't sell well, they'll take it as a sign that nobody's interested in 2k3 anymore and they won't bother releasing the whole set.

ARGH!!!!

Nickelodeon gives with one hand and takes away with the other.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
The cover art on these is a real turn off. The previous DVD releases may not have amazing covers, but at least they grab your attention and weren't an eyesore to look at.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120210.../dvd_toons.htm
Yeah, especially the later covers that didn't have stock poses of the characters and had original artwork that actually depicted the episodes they had.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #40
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Bu--but... Nickelodeon... why... why can't you do this..?
Come on, Nick. 3 episodes a disc is one thing (and for god's sake, we had enough of that **** when the show was going on), but out of order? Seriously?
I feel like Nick is doing this to spite us. Oh, you waited since 2005 or so for an actual season release of this show? Too bad! We're going to give you more of the bullsh*t you had to put up with before. Just... no.
You did it with Avatar. You did it with Korra. You even slightly did it with your own TMNT series. Is it so hard to just release the damn episodes season by season? Just have a Season 1 set, a Season 2 set, so on and so forth. Is that so f*cking hard?!
Geez. This post started off so calm, but the more this sets in, the more it pisses me off.
Oh, and in case you're wondering if I'm planning on buying this (if you need it spelled out for you), no f*cking way.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 show, dvd releases, nick