The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Seems all the main storylines are coming to a head. Finally getting Bishop's attack on Burnow Island that was foreshadowed like 20+ issues ago, lol, Leatherhead will be back soon, Ch'rell is on the island so we'll see what he does FINALLY, and then the Patheon stuff will follow leading up to issue 100.

Only stuff seemingly on the backburner is whenever Karai gets back to NY and whatever happens with Null's subplot. It's kinda shocking to remember Karai hasn't been in the main ongoing since issue 50, and no indication when she'll show up again along with Koya/Bludgeon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #22
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Only stuff seemingly on the backburner is whenever Karai gets back to NY and whatever happens with Null's subplot. It's kinda shocking to remember Karai hasn't been in the main ongoing since issue 50, and no indication when she'll show up again along with Koya/Bludgeon.
There's a nice surprise waiting for you in the November solicitations thread.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #23
ChosenOne
Banned

Upon reread, I'm even more in love with this issue than the first time around. I like how one-off it feels (because it literally is), IDW could stand to slip more of these stories into the main ongoing. We've only had like four or five in the entire run, and it's a very welcome deep breath before the plunge into an entire year of up-to-eleven craziness. I really liked the art, too. Leatherhead reminds me, whether intentionaly or not, of the 2012 cartoon. And the detail on that panel just before he announces his presence, with Donnie twirling the bo behind his back... That got my attention the first time and stuck with me. Very kinetic. The Turtles themselves, both art-wise and writing-wise, reminded me of their Archie selves at several points. So nothing but positives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess they'll transition to Leatherhead becoming an ally of the Turtles as usual, I guess him killing those 2-3 random Utroms is forgiven? lol. Either way for a single filler-ish story, it was ok.
I've given this some thought. What else can they do, really? They can't kill him... Certainly not hand him over to Earth authorities and most definitely not to Bishop... He already turned the Mutanimals down... The Utroms and Neutrinos let him off the hook, as stated in this issue... The possibility of letting the Foot take him in is probably not even worth mentioning for obvious reasons... All that's left for the Turtles is keep an eye on the guy, stop him from murdering any more people or aliens or mutants, help him work through his issues, and pray that he can become a force for good. Heck, they're "best buddies" with Stockman and half the Pantheon these days... And I don't think they hold grudges much, considering they just let Bebop and Rocksteady go after Splinter took over the Foot. And they just knew those two would eventually be serious trouble... Leatherhead sparing the security guard is already a good start.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It seems like, for now, the turtles are going to plan ahead for their next encounter with Leatherhead...though they don't realize the Krang hallucinations are a thing.

What I can say though is that leaving Leatherhead loose is going to be a mistake on the parts of the Utroms and Neutrinos. And I'm pretty sure the decision was headed by Ma'riell.

And just realizing this...
What was the point of the scene with Casey and Jennika? It basically just interrupted what could have been the bigger "fight" with Leatherhead that we were all expecting. Not very appreciative of the big interruption of bright yellow against the dark green mood of the museum scenes. That's probably why stylistically, but story wise...???

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 08-22-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #25
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Definitely a gap filler between issues and worth a second read. As much as I dont like the reincarnation angle I can deal with it, but the one thing I cannot seem to get past is Krang going the way of DeviantArt. I would have liked to have seen Krang sidelined in another way. The thing he does is put Leatherhead into a fixed neutral character not evil like the 1987 cartoon and not good like the 2003 cartoon. However, is it confirmed if LH is an aligator or crocodile?

Its interesting to note Leatherhead was not persued for a crime by the Neutrinos and he got away with his action. Considering how determined to go through judicial process after what Krang did it is surprising.

So how will Agent Bishop use Leatherhead?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
And just realizing this...
What was the point of the scene with Casey and Jennika? It basically just interrupted what could have been the bigger "fight" with Leatherhead that we were all expecting. Not very appreciative of the big interruption of bright yellow against the dark green mood of the museum scenes. That's probably why stylistically, but story wise...???
Direct follow-up from the previous issue. It took time away from Leatherhead, which was a little frustrating, but it is nice to know exactly what's happening with the Rat King refugees. Ice cream instead of indoctrination... or, maybe, ice cream BEFORE indoctrination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Definitely a gap filler between issues and worth a second read. As much as I dont like the reincarnation angle I can deal with it, but the one thing I cannot seem to get past is Krang going the way of DeviantArt. I would have liked to have seen Krang sidelined in another way.

So how will Agent Bishop use Leatherhead?
I don't get your DeviantArt comment, but I love Krang's demise. I think it's spectacularly badass. It advances Leatherhead's story, and provides a tragic yet fitting end to Krang's.

Probably the same way he uses Slash. Unless Leatherhead willingly agrees to be a mutant hunter, which I suspect will end up being the case.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This years old image has even been made into a fan made shirt.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #28
ChosenOne
Banned

Did anyone else chuckle a little to themselves when Donnie said that "the clock is ticking", while in the presence of an oversized crocodilian?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Did anyone else chuckle a little to themselves when Donnie said that "the clock is ticking", while in the presence of an oversized crocodilian?
Yes, the croc was ticking.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #30
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Yes, the croc was ticking.
Would've been even funnier (though probably too obvious of a reference) if that Mouser had bitten Leatherhead's whole hand off.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #31
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Perhaps Agent Bishop has a tool to stop Baxter's mayoral campaign with Leatherhead injured by mousers and Baxter's association with Krang and mutagen?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Perhaps Agent Bishop has a tool to stop Baxter's mayoral campaign with Leatherhead injured by mousers and Baxter's association with Krang and mutagen?
Why would Bishop want to prevent Baxter from becoming mayor? That would be beneficial to Bishop, not detrimental...
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #33
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Why would Bishop want to prevent Baxter from becoming mayor? That would be beneficial to Bishop, not detrimental...
I thought Agent Bishop could find reason to manipulate Stockman.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #34
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Only i manipulate Stockman. I will find this Stockman and manipulate him when i complete my Utrom Shredder robot body! And then i will kill Bishop but keep Baxter brain !
Old 08-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #35
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The "deviantART" comment refers to how it's basically a dying site at this point; everyone's using different art services these days. Meanwhile, I'm more disappointed with the way the story of Krang's trial happened rather than his actual death at this point; the Malignoids were a major interruption and any action with them could have been spent trying to keep Hakk-R from killing people, while in the meantime, any Utroms coming to the trial would slowly be realizing how fvcking nuts Krang has gone since they last saw him. Cut down on the "oh we talked to Ma'riell about this" and...actually show the talk. At least in this one situation.

Just watch Baxter's inauguration as Mayor be the big final page on #100 after stuff with Kitsune mulls over.

"Leatherhead's acting really weird, Burnow Island's in shambles, that stuff with the Mutanimals just happened, Kitsune has Shredder's head, Baxter's the mayor now, AND PROM IS TOMORROW!"