The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #61
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Alright, since works died down, here's my top 5 episodes.

5: 4.22 "Commencement"
At an elongated runtime of 60 minutes and a ticking clock established at the beginning of the episode, I loved the big movie feel this finale had. Season 4 had its ups and downs and getting to this finale is a bit of a chore, but you'll be hard pressed to find a Smallville fan who doesn't find this as one of the seasons stand out episodes. And it ends with a tease of the Fortress of Solitude. How awesome is that?

4: 5.09 "Lexmas"/5.05 "Thirst"
A tie, but they kind of go hand in hand with my affinity for Holiday themed episodes. Season 6 attempted a Thanksgiving episode with "Rage" but like most of season 6 it felt kind of flat. Lexmas and Thirst on the otherhand fully embraced the holiday spirit filling each frame with tinsel and snow or candy and jackolanterns. Rosenbaum's performance pulls us through the cheery wonderland he imagines if he were to give up his power for the sake of a normal life which just serves to make the ending that much more heart breaking when he learns all the wrong lessons from his experience. The Halloween episode on the other hand was a fun monster mash filled with costumes and kryptonite-powered vampire sorority sisters. Plus, it had Kristin Kreuk wearing leather, so... yeah... easy points for that

3: 4.06 "Transference"
The episode that many realized Tom Welling can act charismatically when he needs to. I love body swap episodes and this one didn't disappoint. Lots of little moments like "Clark" seducing Chloe only to break her heart just because he can, quitting the football team, and generally just watching Clark throw his social life down the toilet in the most hilarious and cringe inducing ways possible. I almost died when Lana enters and Clark rolls his eyes and says to himself "Ugh. This one." There was a lot of body-swapping/possessions taking place in Season 4 but this one is easily the best.

2: 1.01 "Pilot"
Not a lot of pilots ever make my top ten lists, let alone the number 2 spot. It usually takes a few episodes for the show to begin to gel with who the characters are and for the actors to get their characters down. But I love the confidence of this pilot. It knew right out the gate what it wanted to be from the actors nailing their characters to establishing the right distictive tone through use of colour and music. This was directed by David Nutter who has a great track record of shooting effective pilots such as Supernatural, Roswell, Arrow, The Flash, and many others.

1: 10.04 "Homecoming"/3.19 "Memoria"
Another tie but I can't choose one over the other. I'm more partial to the early seasons so by the time Homecoming rolled around I was already a bit emotionally checked out. I still loved the show but in a different way; it was a lot less heart-string pulling and more comic-bookiness. Which is great in its own way, but I wasn't prepared for this nostalgic look at everything that's come before it(and what's to come!). At times I still feel like the episode can't help but feel a bit empty without the presence of Chloe, Pete, and Lana at the high school reunion, but then I realize that's the point. So much has changed over the years, and we were to watch it happen with Clark. Memoria, on the other hand, is my vote for the most beautifully shot episode the series has ever produced. On top of the smooth camerawork and cinematography, Lex's tragic backstory is unfolded revealing the truth about his mother and his younger brother Julian. It's sad and touching and changes the landscape of both characters for the remainder of the series. Like a nice bottle of Armagnac, 1963, I don't sample this one too often. But when I do, it hits juuuuust right.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #62
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I never noticed the Woodward and Bernstein connection. Good catch. Also, bonus fact: That guy you were referring to in the bar was once(possibly still is?) Allison Mack's boyfriend. The connections continue!
Aw man I wish I had known that. Aw well, I wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind when I made that video. If you notice in the Lana segment I get a little preachy about being respectful towards women. At the time I was going through a bad falling out with a high school friend back home who I was rather fond of and I was just a mess.

Speaking of Lana, one of my favorite moments was in the episode Slumber when Clark was explaining his dream to her and he mentions she was with him at the lake.

LANA: "Really? What were we doing?"
CLARK: *Awkward Pause* "Nothing."

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #63
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

SMALLVILLE AVAILABLE TO STREAM FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER THIS OCTOBER VIA HULU

So, at least that's something. Hopefully this will usher in a small, new wave of fans as Buffy did by being present on Netflix.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #64
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
SMALLVILLE AVAILABLE TO STREAM FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER THIS OCTOBER VIA HULU

So, at least that's something. Hopefully this will usher in a small, new wave of fans as Buffy did by being present on Netflix.
Gotta admit, if I didn't already have all 10 season boxsets I'd be pretty miffed since I have Netflix instead of Hulu.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #65
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

So after being close friends with the guy for over a decade, I finally convinced my friend John to binge Smallville as he's home from work recovering from an injury that has him laid out for the next few weeks.

He's been texting me tiny observations as it goes on and I realized our text messages have kind of become an amusing commentary on the whole series.

He's just beginning Season 3 now. When he's done the series, I think I'm going to upload our text history to anyone bored enough to check it out for a laugh.

...Yeah, ok, maybe I just wanted an excuse to revive this thread, so what?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #66
Slade
god status

I actually forgot about this thread, but I'd actually be down to read them.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #67
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Working through it now. I watched it for several seasons but eventually my work kept me from watching it, so now I'm gonna see what I missed, eventually. So far I loathe Lana and Chloe (used to be a big Chloe fan...not sure why. Maybe it was the high school me.) What makes the show for me is the Kents. Always loved Jonathan and Martha. Also, man I hate that theme song.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #68
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

How do the Luthors hold up?
(they were always my favorite part)
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #69
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Not so long ago my GF watched all of the seasons but did struggle to finish the last couple. I wasn’t so dedicated. I did at first watch every episode with her but stopped someplace around season 5 or 6. I think I might have seen some of the episodes from season 7-8. None of 10.

I liked the first 3 seasons the best. I started off not liking Chloe but as the seasons went on I liked her more and more. Lana I never liked. Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling are both really great. The Kent’s are great too.

Not sure if any of the following counts as spoilers but didn’t want to take the risk.
Spoiler:
I didn’t like when Pete left the show. In the later episodes I didn’t like all the drawn out plots with Green Arrow. And the Chloe Watchtower thing could not hold my interest. I liked the new “meteor freak” every episode thing from the first seasons the best.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 AM   #70
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm not sure if I started watching properly from season 2 or 3 but did catch up on the earlier eps, I then watched it right through to the end. Really liked the show, it had it's stronger and weaker points like others but kept my interest.

I liked the Kent's also and thought the Luthers were well written, I liked how they gradually changed them over time.
Chloe I didn't like as much earlier on, she had her good and bad moments but her character grew a lot and I did like her after that. Lana..... always with the 'I'm hurt' , I liked her at times too but not others, her character had gotten old for me later on. Lois I liked, more so as she got more as time went on.
Clark, bit bias there but over all good character with the odd flaw.

I'd have to re-watch it as it's been a while, see if my perspective is still the same,

Last edited by newfan; 03-12-2018 at 02:15 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #71
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I always liked Chloe, I just wish the writers let Clark handle some of the investigating from time to time. Alot of it was him saying "I'm going to go check up on Lana/Lex to see how their doing. Let me know when you find something."

Lana I liked as well until Season 7 when her storylines just started turning into cheesy science fiction episodes. That being said, I completely understand why people couldn't stand her.

I'm not into collecting these, but glad to know there's still something new coming out for fans of the show.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #72
newfan
Mad Scientist

, Lex. I'm not big on collecting those either, just have 2.

I need to re-watch to remember properly, as I said, I came to like Chloe, there was only a short time early on that I didn't.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #73
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Overall it's a really strange selection they went with.

Two Clarks, but neither with his red jacket which he wore for 95% of the episodes.
Lois, dressed like Season 6, I'd guess.
Green Arrow. Fair enough.
and Lex, appearing as he did once in a single dream sequence.

Strange how Oliver gets one but Lana and Chloe are left out. I'd honestly put them out before Lois, personally.

Weird assortment, but yeah, happy there's at least something out there representing the series.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #74
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Overall it's a really strange selection they went with.

Two Clarks, but neither with his red jacket which he wore for 95% of the episodes.
Lois, dressed like Season 6, I'd guess.
Green Arrow. Fair enough.
and Lex, appearing as he did once in a single dream sequence.

Strange how Oliver gets one but Lana and Chloe are left out. I'd honestly put them out before Lois, personally.

Weird assortment, but yeah, happy there's at least something out there representing the series.
Oh yeah, what the hell? No the red Jacket..
Yeah, Chloe and Lana being more major characters from earlier and Chloe for the whole series too.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #75
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Right??

I think they went with Lois from Season 8's "Plastique" from what I can tell.

If I had to choose 5 to make from the show I'd probably go with Clark, Lex, Lana, Chloe, and Pete. If you wanted to swap Pete out for someone, I'd probably go with Lionel.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #76
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

They could do some variants. Seems like Clark had black on a lot, they could do a version of that and also release a Lois as Stiletto, lol. I would think collectors of the show merch would want Pete and Jimmy both. I guess they are just sticking with the really recognizable characters.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #77
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
How do the Luthors hold up?
(they were always my favorite part)
The Lex/Lionel relationship always confused me. It's a great foil to the Kents, but the constant gaming they do always confused me.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #78
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Lex/Lionel relationship always confused me. It's a great foil to the Kents, but the constant gaming they do always confused me.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #79
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

What I also never got was how everyone was just able to walk into stately Luthor Manor...and Clark's loft.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #80
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

It's like a drinking game. How many times has Clark come home to find someone waiting for him in his barn? How many times has Lex asked "How did you get past my security?" How many times does Lex say "I have my best people in Metropolis..."