The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #81
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Yeah I can understand why CGC does it that way, but I also think its dumb. I have a lot of Dynamic Forces signed stuff with COAs that are legit that I want to get graded but I'm not gonna do it and get a green label as opposed to the signature series. So unless you go to the big Cons where CGC is there to witness it you are kind of SOL. I've met quite a few comic creators and have 200some signed books and sketch covers that would like to be graded
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #82
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Nope,

''The prestigious CGC Signature Series label (yellow) is applied to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC employee or select CGC authorized witness.''

I believe these comics would be graded with a Green ''Qualified'' label.

''A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear." Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as "Name Written on Cover."

Sam is correct. These would get Green label as they have already left Kevin's hands and gone through the distributor. The only way to get a Yellow Label (signature series) copy would be to have intercepted a copy before it left Kevin and had it sketched in front of a witness and graded. As of this posting I know of a total of 8 copies that have yellow labels: My 4, plus 4 that were witnessed at the 35 days of Kevin Eastman event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
Yeah I can understand why CGC does it that way, but I also think its dumb. I have a lot of Dynamic Forces signed stuff with COAs that are legit that I want to get graded but I'm not gonna do it and get a green label as opposed to the signature series. So unless you go to the big Cons where CGC is there to witness it you are kind of SOL. I've met quite a few comic creators and have 200some signed books and sketch covers that would like to be graded

The CGC is only looking out for their best interest. It would only take 1 Signature Series book to turn out to be fake to ruin the entire Series in the eyes of the collectors. "If 1 book is a fake, how can I know that my book or one that I am buying is real?"
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #83
MattLawrence
Foot Soldier

could you not simply attend a con kevin is going to be at and get the comic signed to get the yellow label ? of course cgc would have to witness it
MattLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #84
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLawrence View Post
could you not simply attend a con kevin is going to be at and get the comic signed to get the yellow label ? of course cgc would have to witness it
Yes. Except that these books are already signed and sketched when they get into the owners hands. You can't buy blank ones. The only blanks that exist(ed) are in the hands of Kevin Eastman and (maybe) IDW.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #85
MattLawrence
Foot Soldier

perhaps kevin could verify he did them ? and then just sign them again lawl ?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #86
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLawrence View Post
perhaps kevin could verify he did them ? and then just sign them again lawl ?
I tried that with a pre-signed Turtlemania Gold. I had him hand it to the CGC personally and they wouldnt do it.

With these, he COULD sign them again, but only the witnessed signature would be valid. The original signature and sketch would be considered a flaw; and in this case, a major flaw.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #87
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
The CGC is only looking out for their best interest. It would only take 1 Signature Series book to turn out to be fake to ruin the entire Series in the eyes of the collectors. "If 1 book is a fake, how can I know that my book or one that I am buying is real?"
Thats why the first thing I said is "I can understand why CGC does it that way." But you'd think a COA from the actual promotion, like Dynamic Forces would have some water and be able to qualify for the signature series. Obviously a dealer's COA isn't worth too much. Anyone could forge a signature and print off a cheap COA but the Dynamic Forces ones are pretty legit. I have a ton of them, it'd be nice if I could get them graded under the signature banner.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #88
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
Thats why the first thing I said is "I can understand why CGC does it that way." But you'd think a COA from the actual promotion, like Dynamic Forces would have some water and be able to qualify for the signature series. Obviously a dealer's COA isn't worth too much. Anyone could forge a signature and print off a cheap COA but the Dynamic Forces ones are pretty legit. I have a ton of them, it'd be nice if I could get them graded under the signature banner.
Yeah man, I've got some signed certed books I'd love to get SSed, so I totally get the desire, and understand the frustration.

Unfortunately there is nothing gained by accepting these books. The CGC wouldn't see a large enough monetary gain to risk their reputation like that.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #89
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

They would from my wallet

Living in Iowa I'll probably never make it out to SDCC or NYCC. Was going to go to C2E2 in Chicago this year, but with getting married in July and closing on a new house in February I don't think I'm going to have the funds to go and enjoy it like I should. So hopefully next year. So I won't have a whole lot of opportunity to take advantage of Signature Series at cons, which is a bummer. I think of my 200some signed comics probably 75 or so are Dynamic Forces ones with COA's, if they allowed those as SS I would get them all graded
Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #90
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Nope

Thanks for correcting me. Always learning something new!

-ms
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #91
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Mr. Jones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTA...item5647faec8a
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #92
rich
Mad Scientist

This seller just listed 10 of them !!

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #93
MattLawrence
Foot Soldier

so that just leaves shredder and splinter unaccounted for
Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #94
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
You gotta wonder if he is a retailer that actually bought 500 copies of #1, or if he went around reserving every copy in his area.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #95
King Suck
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
You gotta wonder if he is a retailer that actually bought 500 copies of #1, or if he went around reserving every copy in his area.
Thats Todd of Langs Comics. Hes my online TMNT comic guy. He bought more then 500 but is only selling 10 online.

ETA- Hes a good guy too. Ive had a few issues pop up with a couple of my orders and hes always qick to fix them.
King Suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #96
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Wow that Leo one with buildings in the background is awesome....and up over $200!!! wow!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #97
Donnie
Something from the Past

Is anybody on here currently bidding on some of these? If so, do you plan on getting the whole race?!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #98
Powder
So tired of this place

I would've bidded on the Casey book but it was way outta my range before I even clicked it. I own two Eastman originals, so no biggie.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #99
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I would've bidded on the Casey book but it was way outta my range before I even clicked it. I own two Eastman originals, so no biggie.
Yeah, I'd imagine that one is going to sell for a reaaallly high price.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #100
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Here is a link to a couple Kevin posted on Facebook back in August.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8189979&type=3

-ms

Tags
kevin eastman