The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Trinities in DC Comics

We all know that DC's three most popular characters are the three most important in universe as well. They of course are Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. This got me thinking, there seem to be several trinities within DC yet never necessarily referred to as such. There is a secondary trinity of heroes that also make up the Justice League's definitive and founding lineup, they are Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash. Yes, Aquaman is often ridiculed because of his limited effectiveness on land and struggled to hold onto a title yet he along with the primary trinity, Green Arrow, and Dick Grayson have been in constant print since 1940. Green Lantern is also a big name in DC and perhaps Hal Jordan or the mantle itself is essential within the universe as Green Lantern and Flash have become more mantles yet very important ones. Is Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash a secondary trinity within DC?

A third trinity arguably just below them in importance is Green Arrow, Hawkman, and Martian Manhunter. The three of them are all long running JLA members.GA and Hawkman have a friendly rivalry and represent different political views within vigilantism. They were the core of a JLA offshoot just before the New 52 was painted over with Rebirth. They all have held titles and get several chances to varying degrees of success. Is Green Arrow, Hawkman, and Martian Manhunter a tertiary trinity within DC?

Beyond that there are three younger heroes perhaps sidekicks or associates that are depicted in other media and in comics. They are Robin, Batgirl, and Supergirl. Often Dick Grayson is depicted as Robin and Batgirl is depicted as Barbara Gordon. These three are shown of an importance within DC comics and in the other media at large. Yes, Wally West is important, but he can be folded within Flash in the above secondary trinity concept. Are these the three greatest associated characters or sidekicks and a trinity within DC?

Justice Society has a core three members even many decades removed form World War II. They are Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, and Wildcat. A couple of others have found ways to slow their aging process and continue in their identities but these three gentlemen have kept the original superhero team going and mentored new generations within in it. Are Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, and Ted Grant the Golden Age or JSA trinity?

There is also the Marvel trinity of Captain Marvel, sister Mary Marvel, and best friend Captain Marvel Jr.(his name always seemed off). Of all of the purchased characters these three have had on and off importance in DC. Of Fawcett Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr. are
a trinity in their own right?

Finally, there is the founding three of the often overlooked Legion of Superheroes. For 30 years the group was in constant print and a favorite of DC's offerings. Three members founded it and are the foundation of the group and its complex history, they are Cosmic Boy and often couple Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad. Are these three futuristic heroes the trinity of Legion of Superheroes? Of the groups of trinities that i listed I think in print its the only other one referred to as such, I am not certain about the JSA trinity.

Thoughts on my connections? Are these correct or am I thinking too much?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Spiderman

Isn't Marvel's more Captain America, Hulk and Spiderman.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Isn't Marvel's more Captain America, Hulk and Spiderman.
He's talking about the DC character Captain Marvel (Shazam)
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
There is also the Marvel trinity of Captain Marvel, sister Mary Marvel, and best friend Captain Marvel Jr.(his name always seemed off). Of all of the purchased characters these three have had on and off importance in DC. Of Fawcett Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr. are
a trinity in their own right?
Thoughts on my connections? Are these correct or am I thinking too much?
He isn't Captain Marvel anymore he is Shazam. They stopped calling him that because of Marvel copyrighted the name and owns the rights to Captain Marvel for their comics and media .
Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Instead of debating whether Billy Batson should be called Captain Marvel or Shazam what do you all think of the idea of various trinities within the greater DC Comics brand?

What are your thoughts on this idea?