The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #541
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The problems with Rey fall on JJ Abrams as a storyteller. All character motivations and arcs are based solely on plotting and getting the characters where they need to be to reach the endgame the audience expects. It's what he's always done and why all of his movies seem great during initial viewing but don't hold up after that.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #542
Sumac
Banned

I wasn't bothered with Rei rise to power, but I felt that she was bland. She was generic protagonist, not particularly likable or having anything that was really memorable about her.
Finn had much more character than her.

It was surprise to me, because, before watching movie I was pretty sure that situation will be different and I will definitely like Rei and will feel lukewarm about Finn, but it actually ended completely vice-versa.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #543
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I watched the Star Trek JJ film like 3 times because I wanted to love it, it was my first taste of Star Trek, people praised it and called it the perfect reboot, while others called it "it feels more Star Wars than the prequels", so I bought the DVD blindly and forced myself to like but I just couldn't.

I still want to give Trek a try, but I feel overwhelmed by all the shows and me being a completist, I have to watch it all and there's just too much, even if I only go watch TOS and TNG. Maybe one day.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #544
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
All this talk of Rey having too much power, and not once has anyone brought up Finn's ability to wield a lightsaber.
Anyone can press a button and swing around a lightsaber. And he basically ended up in a coma after that and I don't think there was a single scratch on Rey.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #545
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Anyone can press a button and swing around a lightsaber. And he basically ended up in a coma after that and I don't think there was a single scratch on Rey.
It's not supposed to be that easy. The saber itself is partially force controlled, which is one of the reasons folks believe Kylo Ren's is all static at the edges. Because the guy's got no chill.
And there's absolutely no balance on the thing, because it's essentially just a grip.

For all we know Rey had some force training as a small child.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #546
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It's not supposed to be that easy. The saber itself is partially force controlled, which is one of the reasons folks believe Kylo Ren's is all static at the edges.
What? Lightsaber blades are Force-controlled, even partially? No, that's not a thing. That's never been a thing. And Kylo's blade is static at the edges because of the way he rigged it and the design he chose.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-a...lly-explained/
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #547
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

There've been multiple times where characters who can't use the force were able to wield a Lightsaber.
Mostly characters from the now non-canon EU, but then there's still General Grevious and Han Solo. Granted, the latter was just to cut open a Tauntaun, but still.
If they could use one, there's no reason why Finn can't. Although the level of skill he displayed while using it's still pretty questionable.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #548
plastroncafe

Quote:
What? Lightsaber blades are Force-controlled, even partially? No, that's not a thing. That's never been a thing. And Kylo's blade is static at the edges because of the way he rigged it and the design he chose.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-a...lly-explained/
This guy would disagree with you:
http://www.askajedi.com/2010/09/09/a...a-light-saber/
Spoiler:
Quote:
Dear Jedi,
Can a non-force user wield a light saber? If so, how come we don’t see more of them out there?
Dear Anonymous,
This is a complicated question, but in short, yes. Non-Force Users can indeed use a lightsaber.
Han Solo did it, but didn’t fight with it. In a non-canon story Boba Fett did however. In Episode III, the Clone Wars miniseries, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars General Grevious does too. In Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 2 Pre Viszla does it as well as one of the thieves who stole Ahsoka’s. In season 3 of the same show we know Cad Bane jumps on the bandwagon as well. Finally we have Anja Gallandro, who appeared in Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights in the novel Return to Ord Mantell by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moestra.
So we have G, T, and C canon examples of it happening.
Now, how come we don’t see any more of them out there? Well, to be honest, they aren’t very good weapons unless you are Force Sensitive. You need to Force to block blaster bolts with them because that requires being able to predict where a shot that moves at that high of a velocity will land. You can’t really beat a Jedi with one unless you are Force Sensitive or otherwise enhanced.
Pre Viszla got more or less humiliated by Obi-wan Kenobi when he tried it.
General Grevious had to rely on cybernetic augmentation and we saw how that didn’t help much against Obiwan.
Boba Fett even lost the second Darth Vader decided to use the Force against him.
Anja Gallandro was only as effective as she was with her lightsaber because she was hopped up on drugs, even then it was shown how sloppy and unrefined she was compared to a Jedi.
The Thief that tried it was easily beaten by an old and physically infirm Jedi Master in one motion.
So, you end up basically with what a lightsaber is: a melee weapon that has as much of a chance of damaging you as it does damaging your enemy. Yes, it is cool, yes it can cut through just about everything, but it is still bringing a knife to a blaster fight unless you have the powers needed to make up for that weakness.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber Says something similar.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #549
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Finn didn't beat a future sith lord who has trained for years in his first encounter and apparently was the cause of the destruction of the new Jedi order. When you have to justify that "maybe she was trained before off-screen, we don't know", you know you wrote a character badly. Again Rey is far from the problems TFA has, it's but a small nitpick.

If anything as an activist you should be mad Rey was only a Mary Sue and Captain Phasma treated like trash instead of revealing midriffs that the cast itself defended.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #550
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That doesn't disagree with me at all. Of course you can't use a lightsaber well without the Force. Finn didn't use a lightsaber well and almost died.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #551
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
of course. can't damage the face! ;o)

would make her less of a hero with a single scratch in an intense battle and weaken her stance among the men and...

god, who thinks up that crap?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #552
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
of course. can't damage the face! ;o)

would make her less of a hero with a single scratch in an intense battle and weaken her stance among the men and...

god, who thinks up that crap?
Grow up already.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #553
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
If anything as an activist you should be mad Rey was only a Mary Sue and Captain Phasma treated like trash instead of revealing midriffs that the cast itself defended.
I should?
Did Feminist Pope make another decree that I missed?

As I've said else thread, I don't see Rey as any more/less of a Sue than any of the Dude Skywalkers.
I remember leaving TFA and having a friend say, I'm surprised you like this. Normally you balk at the whole, "Holistic Approach To Narrative" thing.
(ie: everyone just so happens to cross paths right when they need to, and the world is a closed environment.)
And my answer to that was, but it's baked into the story from the get go, so it doesn't bother me. I know to expect it. When coincidental things happen, it's because the Force is trying to assert balance.
"These are not the plot devices you're looking for."

We know she has a past, because they showed us a glimpse at her backstory, something we never got about Luke because unless I'm entirely mistaken, there was no way of knowing there was going to be a sequel. Where as this was known to be a trilogy from day one.

As for Phasma, yeah, she was Worf'd...but there's no way they weren't going to do something else with her down the line. Otherwise she'd have been like Daniel Craig and uncredited.

Again they knew from day one that there were going to be more movies, so she'll be back.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #554
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
And my answer to that was, but it's baked into the story from the get go, so it doesn't bother me.

Again they knew from day one that there were going to be more movies, so she'll be back.
So, because there will be more movies, in our initilal meeting with hero, story might be trash?
Good reasoning, all in the name of justifying badly written female character.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #555
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I know Finn got his ass kicked in TFA, and his whole arc with the lightsaber was a bait-and-switch, but I hope we get to see him wield another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #556
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I know Finn got his ass kicked in TFA, and his whole arc with the lightsaber was a bait-and-switch, but I hope we get to see him wield another one.
Same.
He's such a fun character, I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #557
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm pretty sure he wielded a lightsaber for the sole purpose of allowing misdirection in the promotional campaign and helping to build another damn Mystery Box for Abrams. He probably thought he was really clever.

Most signs point to Finn and Poe going full-gay in episode 8, so I wouldn't worry about him going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #558
plastroncafe

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he wielded a lightsaber for the sole purpose of allowing misdirection in the promotional campaign and helping to build another damn Mystery Box for Abrams. He probably thought he was really clever.

Most signs point to Finn and Poe going full-gay in episode 8, so I wouldn't worry about him going anywhere anytime soon.
This is exactly what I meant by seeing more of him.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #559
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

EW has posted a featurette about those Crystal Foxes that we seen from the trailers, they are going to be animatronics along with some CGI ones.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/20/star...crystal-foxes/

They are called the Vulptex, a pack of them are called Vulptices
Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #560
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Are they going to be important or something?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw