The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #201
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Came up with awesome plot points for my current novel while driving into work this morning. Furiously writing notes at my desk...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #202
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Just started reading a couple of books I ordered on Amazon for writing- one is "Hot Sex- Tips For Writing Steamy Sex Scenes"; already read all of that one. It was an interesting and fun little series of how-to esseys on erotica, romance, do's and don'ts and spicing things up in romance/erotic scenes. Nothing incredibly enlightening, but seems to have some good advice.

The other is a much deeper read from what I've seen so far. The book is called "Violence: A Writer's Guide", and it's basically about how to create realistic violence and fight scenes. Goes in depth into some of the finer points like psychology of a fight, what happens during a confrontation in real world situations, weapon types and use, and even consequences. It deals with myths and injuries, legality, unarmed vs armed, and even reasons for using violence all from a real world perspective. Very informative so far.

I picked these up because I want to ramp up my writing and try to get outside my comfort zone as a writer, as well as to find ways to improve and make it more exciting and real. I've reached a level where I feel I've gotten pretty good, but there's still plenty to learn and ways to grow. I have a few other books sitting in my to-buy list, mostly on things like forensics, crime, a few cultural studies, and sci-fi elements.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #203
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Huh... I'm gonna look for that "Violence" book, as that sounds like a good place to pick up some tips. I always like to make sure my stuff is realistic, and I'm not too proud to fact-check myself.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #204
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It's really good so far, I'd definitely recommend it. The author has written several other books on the subject, but this is rhe only one with writers in mind. Apparently he's an expert on the subject. Rory Miller is his name. I'm liking this one so far.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #205
CyberCubed
Overlord

Cylon does anyone beta read or proof read your work after you write it?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #206
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Cylon does anyone beta read or proof read your work after you write it?
Absolutely.

The first review my writing goes through is my own self-review; I wait at least a month after finishing the project so that my intimate familiarity with it can fade, then I print it out and read it through start to finish with a big ol' red pen. I correct everything I find myself and rewrite any/all of the stuff that needs improvement/fixing, then I send it out to others.

My wife reads most everything I write; on my current project, I've been sending her the chapters pretty much as I finish them and then incorporating what feedback and criticism she provides.

I have a few reliable friends who I can count on to tell me "this character is unbelievable" or "this scene is flat", who read and provided in-depth comprehensive feedback of my last novel. I am totally going to use them again for this current project. (I also review and critique their own work.)

I also have a group of peers that I met online, practically none of whom knew each other personally and yet we've all become super close friends. We review each other's stuff and just talk shop; the group is the single only reason I still have a Facebook account.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #207
CyberCubed
Overlord

So when its time for it to be published by that online publishing company you showed me a couple months back, does anyone from that company proofread any material you send them, or do they immediately publish/print whatever you send to them?

There's always the possibility of the occasional grammar error or spelling mistake that slips by everyone, so does this get checked by the publishing company or do they just print what you give them?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #208
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
So when its time for it to be published by that online publishing company you showed me a couple months back, does anyone from that company proofread any material you send them, or do they immediately publish/print whatever you send to them?

There's always the possibility of the occasional grammar error or spelling mistake that slips by everyone, so does this get checked by the publishing company or do they just print what you give them?
No, publishing websites like the one I use don't proofread or edit your work unless you pay them. Their free services simply print/bind what you give them.

And honestly, I've read a lot of high-end mainstream novels with facepalmingly bad typos. I think it all comes down to the more eyes on a page, the higher likelihood of 100% perfect writing. It always bugs me on those rare occasions I find a typo or something that slipped through and made it into print...
Old 02-06-2016, 05:03 AM   #209
Amaranthus
Banned

I'm going to try to write something today and translate it to English.
I really don't have much experience and reading how Cylon does it easily really makes me nervous. I know it shouldn't, but it does. I hate myself at times.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #210
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
I'm going to try to write something today and translate it to English.
I really don't have much experience and reading how Cylon does it easily really makes me nervous. I know it shouldn't, but it does. I hate myself at times.
I've been seriously writing for over ten years; I started in middle school, and I wasn't really any good until my last year of high school.

Practice, mate. Just keep writing, and don't let quality hold you back. Skills have to develop.

In other news, I wrote three pages last night and hope to finish the chapter tonight... but the lady and I have babysitting for an afternoon out, so ciao!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #211
CyberCubed
Overlord

Cylon have you ever gotten books published to real brick and mortar book stores? Like Barnes and Noble or any "real" store that sells books? Or have your published novels only been available for sale from online only?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #212
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Cylon have you ever gotten books published to real brick and mortar book stores? Like Barnes and Noble or any "real" store that sells books? Or have your published novels only been available for sale from online only?
I went to the trouble of getting my last novel on Amazon, and I know what steps I would need to take to get into the local Barnes & Noble stores or other distributors, but I haven't bothered yet.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #213
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I went to the trouble of getting my last novel on Amazon, and I know what steps I would need to take to get into the local Barnes & Noble stores or other distributors, but I haven't bothered yet.
Would you have to spend your own money to make that happen?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #214
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Would you have to spend your own money to make that happen?
Yep. The more publicity and marketing you do, the more money it costs. As a dad with two kids, my time and money are limited and I made the decision not to pursue "public" publishing or availability at this time.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #215
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Yep. The more publicity and marketing you do, the more money it costs. As a dad with two kids, my time and money are limited and I made the decision not to pursue "public" publishing or availability at this time.
I see this is what I figured. Its a good thing online and digital avenues still exist, unless you're a big name author or strike a deal with a publisher, or just plain rich in real life, its rather difficult to get books printed in "real" stores.

I guess I'm old fashioned, I think that if something isn't sold in retail stores it isn't "official" because of the old ways.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #216
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I see this is what I figured. Its a good thing online and digital avenues still exist, unless you're a big name author or strike a deal with a publisher, or just plain rich in real life, its rather difficult to get books printed in "real" stores.

I guess I'm old fashioned, I think that if something isn't sold in retail stores it isn't "official" because of the old ways.
It's not official. They are available for purchase, but it's through a self-publishing website so I doubt very many people browse through its offerings whenever they're in the mood for a new read. It does happen occasionally, though; I've seen it happen and cashed the checks.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #217
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
It's not official. They are available for purchase, but it's through a self-publishing website so I doubt very many people browse through its offerings whenever they're in the mood for a new read. It does happen occasionally, though; I've seen it happen and cashed the checks.
Out of curiosity how many copies of your highest selling novel have you wold? I understand you don't want to make your profits public and don't want to reveal that here so I won't ask about that, but what's your highest selling novel? Do you know how many times it sold?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #218
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Out of curiosity how many copies of your highest selling novel have you wold? I understand you don't want to make your profits public and don't want to reveal that here so I won't ask about that, but what's your highest selling novel? Do you know how many times it sold?
Yes, I can track how many I sell. I usually don't remember to check it, as I don't do anything to promote it, so when the check came in the mail, it was a complete shock.

I don't want to get into specifics, but the number I've sold can be counted without taking off your shoes. And I'm going to decline to name the title, as I no longer advertise my novels on the 'Drome, but I'll tell you it was the anthology.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #219
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Listening to the soundtracks from the "Ocean's 11/12/13" trilogy as I continue to write the current chapter of my sci-fi novel... it's taking a little longer than expected, only because I'm not having as much free time lately as I would've liked. Words are flowing easily, though...
Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #220
Amaranthus
Banned

I've been postponing it. But this weekend I'm writing.
No joke.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote