The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

iZombie

Anybody watch?

Despite it being from the creator of Veronica Mars, and despite the glowing press reviews of the pilot, I had a feeling it was going to suck. I don't like the comic its based on, and the overall look of the marketing material made me think its just not for me.

Having now seen the pilot... Well, its a lot better than I thought. But partially thats just because it feels like Zombie Veronica Mars: The Series. Which, as bizarre of a pairing as it sounds, is married decently enough for the first episode. I felt what worked best in this are the same staples of what made V-Mars so appealing: Rob Thomas's writing, Josh Kramon's score, a likeable snarky female lead solving crimes.

The parts that don't work for me is odd comic book transitions and the very, very bland cast of characters that surround the lead. I know its early and they're still fleshing things out(weak pun intended), but by the end of Veronica's pilot we got to know loving father Keith, bubbly best friend Lily, arrogant jackass Logan, wrong-side-of-the-tracks Weevil, just-trying-to-get-by Wallace, narcissistic Sheriff Lamb... Just a full universe of characters in 45 minutes while also establishing the society of Neptune("the town without the middle class") AND laying the groundwork for a season long mystery. This doesn't seem to want to reach that far. And thats upsetting. Because I know Rob Thomas can.

But I suppose I need to judge it for what it is and stop comparing it to Veronica along the way(as hard as that will be since the lead even narrates with a Kristen Bell-like delivery).
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

So...I guess nobody watches it.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I watch it. The first season is currently being shown on rte two in Ireland, though it's placed on a bad time slot at night. I've never read the comic and don't know much about it (I actually never heard of it until I looked up the show on the Internet), but I think the tv show is great on its own merits. It's not one of the best shows out there, but it has a good mix of drama, comedy and action.

I think the show gets better after a few episodes, as there's character development and story arcs later on. It's one of the best detective shows that I've watched recently along with Veronica Mars and Castle, though it's not as good for the time being and it's sometimes difficult to know what's going on.

I actually don't mind the comic book transitions. I think they're a nice homage to the comic book and give a good transition to the next scene.

I wasn't really interested in watching the show in the first place either. I only watched it because Rob Thomas was involved with it, but I liked it enough to want to watch more episodes. It's like a cross between Buffy, Veronica Mars and Castle.

Last edited by Wesley; 04-01-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Well said!

Yeah, I find it's one of the most reliably enjoyable series out there. While I don't see it becoming one of my all time favourite shows, I always have a fun time watching.

The comic book transitions I've either come to enjoy or just have gotten used to, and I'm not sure which lol.

And to backtrack on my original post, the surrounding cast has gotten much better. Major has become a real favourite of mine and I just can't help but feel for the guy.

Also love seeing Liv switch personalities every episode. In some ways, shows like this or Dollhouse are kind of an actor's dream role.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Not yet, but I've heard really good things about it.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I agree that the supporting cast has gotten much better. Although Rte two is only up to episode ten (a new episode is aired once a week most weeks), Major has become a favourite of mine as well.

I like Liv having a different personality in each episode, too. It reminded me of Dollhouse as well.

I think it's hard to judge a show when I've only watched ten episodes of it, though, so it's probably better to wait until I see all of season one first.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I don't want to spoil anything for Wesley, but I seriously enjoyed the season finale this year. Nice game changer

Spoiler:
Kind of a bummer that Drake died. I surprisingly liked that character. He reminded me a bit of John Cena

Last edited by Krutch; 04-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I watched the season 1 finale and thought it was great. The first season ended on a high note and I'm looking forward to two. I think rte two only got the airing rights for one at first, as the show has been replaced with Sons of Anarchy from next week onwards. I'd say the channel will probably get the rights for the later seasons as well, as iZombie was promoted a lot in the rte guide.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Yeah the Season 1 finale was great. Major became a badass. And its always good to see the lead character make a "bad" decision for the right reasons.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
TLP
Hench Mutant

I haven't seen this show yet, so I can't really give my thoughts on it. Although, I like to think it could take place in the Arrowverse. I'd love to see a crossover with the Flash; having Solomon Grundy (who actually appeared pre-zombie and died in Arrow's second season) as the villain of the episode.
TLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

I know nothing about the series whatsoever & don't plan to explore it, but why is this thing seemingly named after a would-be Apple product?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP View Post
I haven't seen this show yet, so I can't really give my thoughts on it. Although, I like to think it could take place in the Arrowverse. I'd love to see a crossover with the Flash; having Solomon Grundy (who actually appeared pre-zombie and died in Arrow's second season) as the villain of the episode.
I could actually see Liv showing up on Flash, but having Liv exist in the same universe as Flash and Arrow just completely ruins her show. But they're all DC/CW shows shot in Vancouver so I suppose its not outside the realm of possibility for crossovers to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I know nothing about the series whatsoever & don't plan to explore it, but why is this thing seemingly named after a would-be Apple product?
Honest to God, I have no idea. Seriously. Gotta assume its short for "I'm a zombie" most likely.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #13
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Anyone keeping up with this season?
Old 05-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I keep meaning to start watching this but I keep forgetting. Maybe if I post in this thread so the thread is marked as replied, I'll pay more attention and stop forgetting
Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The first couple of eps I've seen kinda reminds me of Stitchers, but with zombies.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Anyone keeping up with this season?
No, but season 2 starts airing in Ireland on rte two at 2.15 am on Sundays from this week. It really should be on at an earlier time slot, though.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #17
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Its alright but I prefer if Chew got an adaption(hopefully an animated one at that)
Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 AM   #18
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

This season has been... weird so far. Not bad, just... weird.

Spoiler:
Now that the zombie secret is "out" to the public, the whole show feels like it's lost a bit of it's identity. Still enjoying the heck out of it, though.