The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #41
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
In terms of stories everything has kind of already been done. With Shredder gone for now, you have your gang wars between the Foot and other mobsters or gangs in NY, you have your alien aspect with Krang/Utroms, Triceratons and other Dimension X aliens, you have all your random mutant stories with the Mutanimals and other one-off mutants, you have Bishop and the U.S. government protecting Earth from aliens or mutants, and then you have your time travel stories, etc.

Other than introducing some more old characters that haven't debuted yet like Rahzar/Tokka, Armaggon, Lord Dregg, or some Nick characters like Tiger Claw, they've covered almost everything.
Well it isn't like they can't and haven't been doing their own stuff for a while now. There is plenty they can do without having to rehash source material. I hope this book has a LOT of life left and we can go beyond the usual arcs that we have come to expect from each new TMNT iteration.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
In terms of stories everything has kind of already been done. With Shredder gone for now, you have your gang wars between the Foot and other mobsters or gangs in NY, you have your alien aspect with Krang/Utroms, Triceratons and other Dimension X aliens, you have all your random mutant stories with the Mutanimals and other one-off mutants, you have Bishop and the U.S. government protecting Earth from aliens or mutants, and then you have your time travel stories, etc.

Other than introducing some more old characters that haven't debuted yet like Rahzar/Tokka, Armaggon, Lord Dregg, or some Nick characters like Tiger Claw, they've covered almost everything.
Or you know, make up new characters and stories?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #43
ChosenOne
Banned

Let's not forget we're still two years away from #100, and between the main ongoing, Universe and whatever else pops up, there's still quite a lot of ground that can be covered in regards to other essential characters and storylines in that time.

So the Battle Nexus, Maligna, Ch'rell, Null, Hun and other dangling threads could still be explored; "new" villains like Tokka & Rahzar, Dregg and Armaggon* could still be introduced; and other classic beats like Splinter's death and the return of the Shredder could still happen.

Heck, I bet Splinter's death will happen for sure.

The thing that would thrill me the most if this comic is to continue past #100 would be a Shredder War between Raph, Karai and Ch'rell, and eventually a resurrected Saki, all vying for the mantle of the Shredder with the Turtles caught in the middle. I feel that would pay tribute to several of the iterations that came before while leaving enough room for IDW to make it their own story. That seems to be the winning formula anyway.

* - Why not kill two birds with one stone, and have another time travel story with Renet taking the Turtles to a different future from the one in Turtles in Time #4 now that they've averted Shredder and Krang's rule, and have Armaggon pop up as the big bad of that arc? Among all the possible shout-outs to Archie, one could even bring up the fact that we're not quite in the clear of a global rise in sea level just yet...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Let's not forget we're still two years away from #100, and between the main ongoing, Universe and whatever else pops up, there's still quite a lot of ground that can be covered in regards to other essential characters and storylines in that time.

So the Battle Nexus, Maligna, Ch'rell, Null, Hun and other dangling threads could still be explored; "new" villains like Tokka & Rahzar, Dregg and Armaggon* could still be introduced; and other classic beats like Splinter's death and the return of the Shredder could still happen.

Heck, I bet Splinter's death will happen for sure.

The thing that would thrill me the most if this comic is to continue past #100 would be a Shredder War between Raph, Karai and Ch'rell, and eventually a resurrected Saki, all vying for the mantle of the Shredder with the Turtles caught in the middle. I feel that would pay tribute to several of the iterations that came before while leaving enough room for IDW to make it their own story. That seems to be the winning formula anyway.

* - Why not kill two birds with one stone, and have another time travel story with Renet taking the Turtles to a different future from the one in Turtles in Time #4 now that they've averted Shredder and Krang's rule, and have Armaggon pop up as the big bad of that arc? Among all the possible shout-outs to Archie, one could even bring up the fact that we're not quite in the clear of a global rise in sea level just yet...
It's like you want me to fall in love with you...
Old 08-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #45
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Well it isn't like they can't and haven't been doing their own stuff for a while now. There is plenty they can do without having to rehash source material. I hope this book has a LOT of life left and we can go beyond the usual arcs that we have come to expect from each new TMNT iteration.
Even if IDW has the license forever and the numbering stayed the same. Big changes will eventually come with the creative team, right? How long do creative folks in the comic industry usually like to stick with projects? Would all the same team be creatively fresh and motivated to do turtle stuff in 4 more years? I mean that would be near a decade working on the same book for some of them. And if a new team came in they might want to start over and do their own origin story and other usual arcs even if the numbering stayed the same. It's just hard to imagine lots of totally new content being added to the franchise. But I would be in favor of it.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #46
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
You are a very uncreative person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah man, for real

There's countless unexplored story opportunities. I do hope we get more slice-of-life stories with the IDW Turtles, to me they're often at their most entertaining when they're relaxed and just hanging out. But of course I still want to see the IDW team come up with new characters for them to interact with, both friends and foes. Old Hob and the Pantheon have been great additions to the TMNT mythos, I think they can come up with other worthwhile contributions.

And I still want a Spider-Man crossover, dammit
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #47
ToTheNines
[sic]

He's a dumb ass. He can't help it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Which we have recently with Hakk-R, but his role in all his appearances so far has been a quick fight with the Turtles but they get away. I wonder if he'll continue past #75 or whatever happens to him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #49
snake
Disgusting

One new character? Welp, quota's filled.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #50
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Everybody pack it up, time to go home
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

We usually get more old characters re-imagined than new ones.

In the Dimension X arc so far we've gotten two new characters, the guy from the second issue, (who generally feels like Belly Bomb and Joe eyeball merged into one character) and the ball thingies from the first one if you count them, but besides that we've gotten Crying Hound, Stump/Sling, Antrax, Ace Duck, and we know Malinga is coming.

In the upcoming Ghostbusters mini we know the ghost of Darius and the Dark Turtles will be used. Prior to that we had Bishop and Darkwater both from the cartoons. Of the Mutanimals not counting Hob himself, the only other new characters are Sally and Herman the crab. I do love that we have Koya and Bludgeon with Karai though rather than old familiar mutants.

The good thing is the Pantheon has a nice mix of new and old characters, with more emphasis on new ones. Gothano, Toad Baron, Kitsune and Aka are new, while Rat King, Jagwar and Manmoth are old. One of the reasons the Pantheon genuine feels exciting is it's not based on any old material and the new characters they can do anything with.

A lot of the new characters we do get from IDW tend to be secondary human characters, like Harold and his wife, Jennika, Woody, etc. But a lot of the major villains or recurring characters tend to be from TMNT history, and we already have Ch'rell teased too to possibly be the next big villain after Shredder/Krang.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Don't forget to turn out the lights on the way out.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:57 AM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

Come to think of it since #51 began the new story arc, the only new IDW characters we've gotten besides the reveal of the last few Pantheon members are Jennika, Harold's wife and Hakk-R.

- The first story arc opened with Jennika, Darius and Jammerhead/Street Phantoms, the latter two from Fast Forward.

- Then we had the Old Hob/Mutanimals and Hun arc, nobody new introduced.

- Utroms wake up on Burnow Island, Ch'rell is teased, then we just had Traag and Granitor return for another fight

- Leatherhead finally debuted in IDW as well

- Then just Kitsune using Alopex to attack the Turtles and them going after her in Alaska

- Then the finale of the Darius/Street Phantom story, this did introduce Harold's wife. So that's the only other new character so far.

- Bishop debuted and he originated in 2k3, as well as Dark Water with Agent Winter and Knight. For those who don't know Dark Water is from Season 8 of the original cartoon.

- Then of course the Pantheon arc introduced new characters like Gothano, Toad Baron, etc. Jagwar and Manmoth are from Archie.

- Current Dimension X arc introduced Hakk-R and the alien from the second issue, everyone else is an old character. Everyone else like Antrax, Stump/Sling, Crying Hound, Ace Duck, etc. are old characters reimagined. Malinga is also from Archie.

- In Universe it's the same, we got the IDW debut of Wyrm, a Metalhead story, the Bishop intro arc, Toad Baron, the IDW debut of Dreadmon, Karai's arc.

So since #51 we've gotten 2 new IDW original Pantheon members (Gothano, Toad Baron, in addition to Aka and Kitsune who are IDW created), two new human allies like Jennika and Harold's wife, and then just one real new villain in Hakk-R, and the alien from Dimension X #2.

So as seen just in the whole last batch of issues from #51 on, IDW does tend to bring back old characters moreso than create new ones. Maybe after issue 100 we'll see IDW introduce more new original characters.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #54
2K3
Foot Soldier

Quote:

I agree; outside of say "Terracide", "The Future Shark Trilogy" and (like you said) a "Battle Nexus Tournament", most of the stories have been done.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to this (long-overdue) Triceraton storyline. Hopefully it'll be on par with the 6 part epic of 2K3 Season 3 (Space Invaders/ Worlds Collide)
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #55
snake
Disgusting

I'm gonna argue that the Future Shark Trilogy is the most creative the franchise has ever been. How do you even come up with that sh*t?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I'm gonna argue that the Future Shark Trilogy is the most creative the franchise has ever been. How do you even come up with that sh*t?
The same way you come up with "teenage mutant ninja turtles."

Drugs. Just all the drugs. Incredible drugs.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #57
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

I would be interested in seeing a TMNT vs Mutanimals arc...I don't know what it would be about but it would be interesting to see them actually pitted against each other rather than just the brief differences in ideology that Hob has in contrast to the Turtles
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #58
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Don't forget to turn out the lights on the way out.
What, are we not gonna lock the door?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #59
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
I would be interested in seeing a TMNT vs Mutanimals arc...I don't know what it would be about but it would be interesting to see them actually pitted against each other rather than just the brief differences in ideology that Hob has in contrast to the Turtles
Me too! I do hope the comic eventually gets around to that, Hob's war on mankind has been a long time in the making for it to just be brushed aside.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #60
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
Sick idea. I like it.