The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #921
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Probably spent a lot on marketing, too
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #922
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

If this movie fails, you can all blame Warner Bros. for this trainwreck.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #923
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I wonder how much money it took to CGI edit Henry Cavills upper lip
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #924
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i did enjoy the Justice League movie for what it is.

but i truly wish they would have just set up a solid plan to follow Grant Morrison's run on JLA from the get go.

what we got was a Dark Knight Returns mash-up with Superman: Doomsday and New52 Justice League Origin.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #925
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Only in the wacky world of Hollywood is $96 million over the course of a few days an underachievement.

And yes, I understand the relationships between budget and box office returns and profit, etc. It's all just kind of absurd when you stop to really think about it.

Maybe it'll do well on home video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #926
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Only in the wacky world of Hollywood is $96 million over the course of a few days an underachievement.

And yes, I understand the relationships between budget and box office returns and profit, etc. It's all just kind of absurd when you stop to really think about it.

Maybe it'll do well on home video.
Not really..... I mean, if you spent a thousand bucks on something and only got like... 350 back for it, yeah, for some people that 350 sounds pretty sweet.... but you lost a lot of money to earn that. 96 Million is nothing if the thing cost over 300 million to make.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #927
myconius
Abby Normal

as much as people would like to slam the gavel down and declare judgment, the race isn't finished yet.

i can definitely see where i lot of people were disappointed. i have a BUNCH of things i can complain about with this movie.
but there are things i still did really enjoy about it.

i'd definitely buy the home release because i really want to see if there is some sort of extended cut or deleted scenes.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #928
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Justice League: Legion of Doomed???

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #929
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Justice League: Legion of Doomed???
Y'see, that's what they should gone with. Even though you can't say Marvel owns the invasion plot, we've seen so many movies about alien invasion after all.... did the Justice League have to copy the same 'invasion from another world' plot form the Avengers movie? Honestly, had the villains had been the Legion of Doom instead, maybe organized by Lex while in prison or whatever, the movie would have played completely different and there would have been no way to compare it to Avengers. Honestly seeing the guys mix it up with Bane, Bizzaro, Grundy, Cheetah, Captain Cold, Black Manta and um... someone for Cyborg, would have been way more exciting than Steppenwolf and his army.

Hell, Marvel hasn't done the 'supervillain team up' thing yet, especially since most of them die at the end of their movies. DC could have beat them to the punch, but they just played it safe and cut and pasted a storyline already used by the competitors.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #930
myconius
Abby Normal

the movie plot was mostly a re-hash of the New 52 'Justice League: Origin'.

with some different plot threads tossed in, and swap Darkseid out for Steppenwolf.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #931
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post

http://www.dccomics.com/sites/defaul...1.74478718.jpg

with some different plot threads tossed in, and swap Darkseid out for Steppenwolf.
So if I've seen "Justice League: War," I'm pretty much good on the basic plot, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Y'see, that's what they should gone with. Even though you can't say Marvel owns the invasion plot, we've seen so many movies about alien invasion after all.... did the Justice League have to copy the same 'invasion from another world' plot form the Avengers movie? Honestly, had the villains had been the Legion of Doom instead, maybe organized by Lex while in prison or whatever, the movie would have played completely different and there would have been no way to compare it to Avengers. Honestly seeing the guys mix it up with Bane, Bizzaro, Grundy, Cheetah, Captain Cold, Black Manta and um... someone for Cyborg, would have been way more exciting than Steppenwolf and his army.

Hell, Marvel hasn't done the 'supervillain team up' thing yet, especially since most of them die at the end of their movies. DC could have beat them to the punch, but they just played it safe and cut and pasted a storyline already used by the competitors.
I've long thought the rogues gallery was the most interesting part of the DC Universe. Batman's villains alone are far better than anything Marvel has to offer, and it's far more amusing to watch the Legion of Doom or Injustice Guild try to work together than say... the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or the Sinister Six.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #932
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post

http://www.dccomics.com/sites/defaul...1.74478718.jpg

In other words, 100% Geoff Johns, then. That muther****er. As much in love with old stories as Snyder was, I wonder where he got the idea with for his JL duology, then... when that Geoff Johns story is only like 3 years old.

Just like with the GL movie (in which he was heavily involved and held full creative veto power), though, he has so many angles and people to hide behind. "It was Snyder's fault!" or "I tried to help Whedon but by then I could only help so much!"

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-20-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #933
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
So if I've seen "Justice League: War," I'm pretty much good on the basic plot, eh?
it borrowed ideas from Justice League Origin, but not exactly.
there were still plenty of different plot threads, just as there were many differences in JL: Origin vs JL: War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In other words, 100% Geoff Johns, then. That muther****er. As much in love with old stories as Snyder was, I wonder where he got the idea with for his JL duology, then... when that Geoff Johns story is only like 3 years old.

Just like with the GL movie (in which he was heavily involved and held full creative veto power), though, he has so many angles and people to hide behind. "It was Snyder's fault!" or "I tried to help Whedon but by then I could only help so much!"
the overall vibe of this movie felt so much of the same theme as the New 52 JL that Geoff Johns did.
the Team coming together, yet still acting like a bunch of jerks towards one another, Batman getting constantly getting punked our on, Cyborg's New 52 origin added in as well as making him instrumental to the plot . . .
they even threw in the scene one member embarrasses himself talking while accidentally touching Wonder Woman's lasso of truth. except it was Aquaman instead of Hal Jordan.

even though the scenes are very different, both Justice League (film) and Justice League: Origin start out with Batman encountering a Para-demon on the rooftops of Gotham.
there are nods to the New52 story all over the place.

the whole time i was watching the movie i kept wishing they'd gone with a storyline like 'JLA: New World Order'.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #934
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Actual box office ends up $2 million lower than what WB was forecasting yesterday($94 million vs $96 million). Word of mouth is obviously not great on this and the lower numbers from Sunday is probably not a great sign for JL's long term box office success.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #935
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I’ve seen lots of reports that even though the RT score is low and whatnot, that the audience review scores are only slightly lower than Thor....like in the mid 80ish% favorable.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #936
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Yikes ... $2 million lower? What a sh*t show this turned out to be. Some people at WB are for sure losing their positions for this.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #937
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Now that we're seeing JL is not even fiscally going to be a success... what do you guys think WB is going to do, being how overly reactionary they are to anything?

It's such an interesting dilemma. WW is a big money-maker and well-loved, yet anchored to this DCEU they're probably going to want to distance themselves away from after this. They've got Aquaman coming out on the horizon (it's the ONLY DC movie coming out in 2018 ), also anchored to the DCEU. Shazam! filming soon... will they make its place in the DCEU more nebulous? What the **** is going to happen with "The Batman" now? Man of Steel 2? Surely they won't attempt a JL 2. Will they pressure Jenkins into making WW 2 spin off some kind of WW shared universe, instead?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #938
Sumac
Banned

Rumor has it, that everything now depends on success of Aquaman.
If it succeeds, then James Wan will receive rein of DCCU. Otherwise, it will be bunch of solo movies.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #939
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Given DC's track record much rather have a bunch of solo films with the occasional teamup rather than a boring, forced overarching narrative.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #940
sdp
Megan Fox = April

If they get rid of Affleck then I'm done with DC movies until this DCEU is over.

So is somehow the Monsterverse with Godzilla the one that has so far made the best (modern)shared universe after marvel? Wow. Bet no one saw that coming.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote