The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Rise Official Episode Discussion S1 EP7 Bug Busters

Well, this is gonna be a good one. Tomorrow morning at 9:30AM!

Some previews and trailers:

https://giphy.com/tmnt (Some cools gifs from the episode)

http://mikeyandpizza.tumblr.com/ (2 latest posts are a trailer and a full scene)
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I love the talk of a Battle Nexus and seeing Leatherhead, Rocksteady, Bebop, and Halfcourt there!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

15 minutes... hyped!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

At this point i’m almost certain Draxum is a mutated Shredder.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, finally another one that ranks up there with Origami Tsunami and makes me want to know what happens next. Took it long enough! I mean, if this right here was what 80% of the series was actually trying to be it would be a whole lot more likeable for what it is. (And the full half hour block to really tell it... so nice.) Which really kind of annoys me that after all the other nonsense I'm sure this plot won't even continue next week (or no new ep at all...?) or for god knows how long.

Favorite part was definitely Leo finally again showing some smarts and good instinct. And accidental ninja-ness. Maybe its bias talking, but this show definitely seems to reach for trying to be half decent when he isn't being played as just some "one liner" dope in the background and is actually doing something that matters.

My only gripes really are that the yokai thing is rather wasted and has no real point that actually matters when just being mutants would have changed literally nothing, and that trying to attach the Battle Nexus concept to it feels a bit forced.

So, as expected sooner or later, finally direct mention that Draxum created them. Although with the "teenage mutant ninja"...something (sheep something? why?)... I guess they're trying to make people question if they really started out as turtles or not. (I'm surprised this TMNT don't even get the TMNT thing yet... esp since Turtles was kind of the obvious last word to add?)

And whatever that line was from Donnie, something about getting praise or validation or whatever from a parent-aged adult for the first time... Yeah, so Splinter is in deed the crappy parent people thought he was?

edit: Also, Draxum suggests he is supposedly a yokai? Albeit an evil one. And said he wants to turn all the humans into yokai? How does that work exactly... Mutants, sure, but turning humans into Japanese demons?

Um. Hm. So... turtle yokai? Is that why they're turtles? I will laugh my ass off if these Turtles were human.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Honestly, I think I'm going to hold off on watching the episodes for myself for now for reasons I already implied in other threads. It is interesting to see the reception of this episode being better than the first, though, which I did watch and was pretty disappointed by, and it is comforting to hear Leo is a bit less of a moron in this episode.

I just hope that, if those mutants who appeared alongside Draxum have more than cameos later, they're not all working for him, which I suppose is a possibility given the story behind Halfcourt.

Last edited by 80gmrp; 11-17-2018 at 12:18 PM.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

I haven't been interested in a while for a new episode till now. I absolutely loved it. Leo was boss here, he was smart and every thing I love about the guy. This shows why Leo should be leader too LOL.Hopefully he becomes leader in the final.

I also love how they continue the Raph/Leo rivalry.

Last edited by Leofan26; 11-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
matteso586
Stone Warrior

1) So that's where the delivery guy turned mutant fish disappeared to. 2) It appears that Big Mama has cameras hidden all over New York City. How else would she get pictures of every mutant the Turtles have met? 3) Theory time! Splinter WAS one of Baron Draxum's specimens. He had that portal making thing on a shelf in the pilot.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, so not every monster we've seen run around is exactly a mutant, more like just cryptids or supernatural monsters. That's the take away I get from Big Mama using "Yokai" to describe them. This is yet another piece of information I feel should have come at an earlier point, but at least I guess it's better now than not at all.

I'm also a little puzzled about Leo's realisation at the end, what did they assume they were before? They don't remember Draxum creating them, so is the implication that they thought they were natural beings? I don't get it. Is this another example of an episode being out of order?

By the way, does the Battle Nexus take place in another dimension like before? We know it's not in NYC at least.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nah, they knew they're mutants. From the first episode ending:
Quote:
Raph: We're heroes, we deserve a name, like... Mad Dogs!

Leo: Mad Dogs? You don't think something like Ninja Mutant Turtle Teens... or.. I dunno, we'll keep brain storming."
They probably were just too young to remember where or how they came to be. But at the same time, I guess Splinter never told them?

Although in that first ep they already were given reason to suspect Draxum had a hand in it, so why they should be surprised now is beyond me.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Ninjinister
無問題

The way Big Mama and the Baron both used the term, it was just as if Yokai was just the term they used for what the Turtles and we have been calling mutants. It didn't sound like they were two separate things.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #12
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Good episode. Makes me wish all of them were the full length.

It’s funny that the newest episode of Ducktales did a Ghostbusters bit too.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #13
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Nah, they knew they're mutants. From the first episode ending:

They probably were just too young to remember where or how they came to be. But at the same time, I guess Splinter never told them?

Although in that first ep they already were given reason to suspect Draxum had a hand in it, so why they should be surprised now is beyond me.
They suspected they were somehow mutated by the substance that Draxum used, they didn't officially know that they were mutated by Draxum himself. Or at least that news hadn't really sunk in before now.

Sometimes when we hear something big it doesn't register right away, because your mind is too focused on something else to pay attention to certain information. Or you are too shocked to really process the information.

That sounds like that may have been what happened to the Turtles here, since they were likely just toddlers best when they were first mutated. So they were too young to fully remember what happened. Splinter being a deadbeat dad feels very insulting to the character. But perhaps that is how he is protecting his sons to keep them from asking too many questions about their origin. But now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, the turtles are going to begin questioning how were they mutated? Why were they mutated? How did they escape Draxum? And the first person they would turn to is dear old dad.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #14
matteso586
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Good episode. Makes me wish all of them were the full length.

It’s funny that the newest episode of Ducktales did a Ghostbusters bit too.
What a coincidence.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #15
Vicky82
Emperor

Great episode, This is my favourite episode so far.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #16
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
At this point i’m almost certain Draxum is a mutated Shredder.
Other than your own instincts, what reason do you have for thinking that?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #17
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo2003 View Post
Other than your own instincts, what reason do you have for thinking that?
The fact that he’s connected to the turtle’s origin, the fighting, and his spiky appearance. Those along with the fact that it seems like exactly the type of twist this incarnation would pull.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
The way Big Mama and the Baron both used the term, it was just as if Yokai was just the term they used for what the Turtles and we have been calling mutants. It didn't sound like they were two separate things.
Well after Draxum talking about mutations and then now talking about turning all the humans into yokai, I wish he (or the show) would make up his mind on what we're calling it. lol Rather than waste a term that could have been better used in another season with a different arc. (Although Big Mama did explain to them that they, as yokai, had been around a long time, rather than being mutants.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
They suspected they were somehow mutated by the substance that Draxum used, they didn't officially know that they were mutated by Draxum himself. Or at least that news hadn't really sunk in before now.
Eh... still no reason they wouldn't suspect he was the one in involved since he's the one they heard it from in the first ep and didn't seem to have any help other than his, uh, shoulder gargoyles.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well after Draxum talking about mutations and then now talking about turning all the humans into yokai, I wish he (or the show) would make up his mind on what we're calling it. lol Rather than waste a term that could have been better used in another season with a different arc. (Although Big Mama did explain to them that they, as yokai, had been around a long time, rather than being mutants.)

Eh... still no reason they wouldn't suspect he was the one in involved since he's the one they heard it from in the first ep and didn't seem to have any help other than his, uh, shoulder gargoyles.
As I said, the impact of that information may not have completely sunk in since they were focused on stopping Draxum and getting Mayhem back. Plus Mikey's comment of them starting out as imitation crab didn't help matters.

The shoulder minions haven't been introduced by name in the show as of what I've seen. But they are known as Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory), the names of the two ravens the Norse God Odin has as pets.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
But they are known as Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory), the names of the two ravens the Norse God Odin has as pets.
Didn't know that detail, that's pretty cool.