The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you agree that's it's the first TMNT comedy that's actually funny?
Yes 10 34.48%
It's funny but not the first TMNT comedy to be funny 6 20.69%
No, I don't find it funny 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Would you agree this is the first time a TMNT comedy is consistently funny?

Alright, normally I'm not a fan of making TMNT a comedy. It's too obvious to make an over the top concept like TMNT a comedy.

More importantly, I don't feel like it as has worked all that well before. I know that's probably not a popular opinion here, but I genuinely feel that it hasn't. I get the jokes in the Fred Wolf cartoon, they're just not funny, like at all. I find the comedy of the 90's movies to be annoying and somewhat distracting. Next Mutation is overall too baffling, with the comedy being a large factor in that. The 2012 Nick cartoon can be funny but the comedy tends to be too lazy and dumb, stuff like yelling and burping is meant to be funny just because it's yelling and burping. And the comedy in the PD movies (especially OotS) just pisses me off.

But the humor in Rise is honestly pretty good in my opinion. It doesn't rely on catchphrases, or pizza, or burping, or screaming, or blatant reference to genitalia or really anything else that gets tired quickly. There's a lot of visual gags, character gags, subverted expectations, slapstick, building on previous jokes etc. And it actually works, I'm actually laughing at most of the episodes.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ehhh... Hard to say. Makes me laugh, but not that often. Not sure I can label that as consistent. But I don't really need TMNT to make me laugh much anyhow and prefer it just here and there and feeling more natural, so, eh. Where 2018 tries too hard is annoying.

So far Donnie is still oddly the one that largely carries the humor that tends to get a laugh from me.

I prefer just scattered humor that works, like 2003 tended to have. Rather than trying so hard to be funny, it's just some funny little line or remark from someone that sounded more natural.

Similar, my favorite funny moments from OotS are more simple, subtle things. (e.g. The slight change in Leo's facial expression when it suddenly dawns on him the "silent but deadly" joke Mikey made at his expense. Mikey's joke isn't the funny part...Leo's subtle reaction is and kills me every time.)

edit: 'Rise' Leo's humor tends to try too hard, annoyingly so (for gods sake stop trying to be Mikey), but when it does get me it's likewise more subtle stuff there too. Like the simple "Ew, gross" when he slaps the skeleton guy's hand away in Minotaur Maze.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

For me, it’s definitely the funniest. But the 2003 series had a way of always finding a way to make me laugh.
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

No, though that's more because I disagree with you on the earlier incarnations--and even then, not totally. I like the Fred Wolf and Jim Henson comedy, but both do go too far at points. The Next Mutation, I haven't seen a lot of, but what I have seen was only funny on accident. 2003's cartoon, for all its qualities, had pretty awkward humor because it seemed to think it was okay to make its comic relief characters annoying so long as other characters called them out as such. Needless to say, this got even worse in Turtles Forever. Turns out annoying is still annoying even if it's called such in-canon. 2012 has some pretty good humor, though inconsistently applied.

This show...I have to agree with the Nostalgia Critic about, which isn't too common for me. The jokes are often good, but very few of them seem necessarily tied to the Turtles' personalities, which in turn often barely exist here. I get that the property can go too far in the opposite direction; quite a lot of people found the excessive pizza jokes annoying. But those were a symptom of distilling Michelangelo into a pizza-afficianado and then distilling all of the Turtles into Michelangelo, and the franchise had really moved on from that after the 1990s. So I say bring back jokes that feel tied to the Turtles.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I find plenty of laughs in each iteration, barring perhaps the 4kids series, whose attempts were a bit cringey IMO. So it's not the first to be "actually" funny, no. Fred Wolf's dry humor & sarcastic wit is often amusing, the live action versions have endearing cheese, 2012 often played chicken with the censors, etc.

But yeah, maybe this one is the funniest. Kinda hard for it not to be, in fairness, given it puts humor first, whereas the last show's core element was action.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I don't agree that Rise is the first version to be consistently funny, (I think the 80s show was just that for the first 7 seasons), but consistently funny it is!

I find the best humour to come from Donatello and how clever/critical he can be. Splinter is pretty funny too, but I find Leonardo and April to be pretty hit or miss despite them being meant to be funny.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

For as much as I laugh at this show, it's Splinter is just too much for me--and it isn't even because it's Rule Of Funny taken too far, so much as the type of comedy they do with him. Splinter has been funny before, but it used to be because he was witty and could make funny observations about things. Now, the joke is that he's a whimsical fool--and in a series where the other heroes are already pretty big jack-offs, to boot.

Granted, this franchise isn't mandated to keep things the way they were, though at least some of its fans will whine when they're changed. But here they're jumping on a comedy bandwagon I was already sick of thanks to Teen Titans Go and (to a lesser extent) DC Superhero Girls, and which Thundercats Roar looks to continue.

Look; I have no problem with superhero shows being comedies. In fact, I vastly prefer that to the brooding that goes on in the new D.C. cinematic universe and The Flash TV series. But does the joke of every superhero comedy have to be that the superhero acts less than heroic; out of being stupid, selfish, of both? That is getting on my nerves.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Have to agree with you there, being funny and acting heroic aren't mutually exclusive. But I guess "dumb" comedy is the in thing so they have to be dumb in order to be funny...?

Maybe someday smart, witty humor will come back...
Old 12-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I have a lot of episodes recorded. Still haven't gotten around to watching it. How would you describe the comedy and humor of this series? Because this show is aimed at a younger audience. The humor and comedy would probably be geared to a younger audience. So they probably don't do the kind of human that adults would get.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It varies, and really depends on what you like imo. As someone has labeled it before, some of it is more "dad joke" groaners that may or may not make you mentally roll your eyes depending if you like that sort of thing.

I find the more enjoyable humor in some of the reactions.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It varies, and really depends on what you like imo. As someone has labeled it before, some of it is more "dad joke" groaners that may or may not make you mentally roll your eyes depending if you like that sort of thing.

I find the more enjoyable humor in some of the reactions.
So a lot of "Dad Jokes" at the expense of Master Splinter?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #12
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

I do find the Turtles funny. I love how in the Longest Day they're trying to fight the Foot but can't be bothered to put down their devices. Some of the other characters not so much. Splinter's kind of just lazy and April is super annoying. A lot of the villains attempts at humor have fallen kind of flat as well.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
So a lot of "Dad Jokes" at the expense of Master Splinter?
Not literal dad. Lame jokes that aren't all that funny. (Excluding those who like that kind of humor.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranimals View Post
but can't be bothered to put down their devices.
Honestly, this show is trying so hard to be relatable to present culture and habits that it will be interesting to see how badly it has aged a decade or two from now. lol
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #14
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

This show by far is the funniest of the current tmnt shows and have been consistently making me out loud laugh.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote