The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Do you think nunchucks should stay as Michelangelo's choice of primary weapon.

After 2k12 and Rise, I personally think that his primary weapons should be along the lines of the Kusari-fundo and Kusarigama. I mean nunchucks are cool but I think you can get more out of the mentioned weapons like capturing, trapping and grappling also they are a lot more ninja too, so thoughts.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I think so, especially in showdowns with Shredder or missions to the Technodrome. Donatello should also use naginata.

Maybe Donatello and Michelangelo could carry bo and nunchuks for simplier missions, like beating up Purple Dragons on the Manhattan streets, as a tribute to earlier missions.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Any kind of discussion about "should we take away Mikey's nunchuks?" makes me think of when the censors did that for us in the second movie and cartoon and so on.

So... "hard no" from me.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Any kind of discussion about "should we take away Mikey's nunchuks?" makes me think of when the censors did that for us in the second movie and cartoon and so on.

So... "hard no" from me.
This exactly.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No. But an additional backup weapon would be fine, esp if it offers a bit different utility.

Why not, makes sense to have other tools in the arsenal, for all of them. Leo himself aught to also at least carry a tanto for situations where katana-length blades don't have enough space to be used effectively enough, or need the more stabby aspect of them. For Mikey I think the Kusarigama would add more for him and having a blade on it would be useful when he needs to do more than give an enemy a concussion or skull fracture, esp if his own life is at serious imminent risk. A bladed sickle... that could be kinda nasty caught across a neck if need be...

Keep the nunchucks as the main though.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-25-2019 at 04:03 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Mikey should have a real weapon like kusaigama, kusari-fundo or kyoketsu-shoge and not a hand-to-eye coordinator tool that's only been popularized due to Bruce Lee.

It's nothing about "censorship", but two batons with a chord for grappling implement isn't fancy enough for TV. So they'll always be portrayed with the dance tricking stuff instead of real combat. And dual-wielding nunchaku is just silly as it ruins any usefulness a nunchaku would have when used as a flail.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why not a san setsu kon nunchaku?

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

A sansetsukon is a better weapon then a nunchaku, but I don't think it'll fill in for the trope the nunchaku does in media, being very spinny and thwirly.

I doubt Mikey's fighting style would be changed in media cause spinning, flailing and whipping is cool. Just look at the over use of spinning weapons in 2k3

I think a chain/rope weapon would suit Mikey better. I could see a lot of fun usages for a kyoketsu-shoge, especially with trapping and grappling enemies and the use with the two-bladed dagger.

And the Kama that came with the 88 Turtle figures was more in design with the kyoketsu-shoge, so throwback there.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Why not a san setsu kon nunchaku?

https://i.ibb.co/TvSXvt2/sanset.jpg
Well considering it's just nunchucks with an extra bar and it doesn't do the things a kusarigama or a kusari-fundo does, naw dog
Old 11-27-2019, 12:13 AM   #10
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

In 2012 didn't his chucks also act like kusarigama with a retractable blade and extendable chain?

Just do that again.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

So... "hard no" from me.
First of all, this.

Second, there's a lot of problems with how Michelangelo has been characterised in TMNT media outside of Mirage, and changing his primary weapon isn't gonna improve him at all. In fact, I'd say it's the best part about him. Nunchucks are pretty cool and are the reason why I usually go with Mikey in Turtles in Time.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
pferreira
Foot Elite

They gave Mikey a grappling hook and look at how much the fans loved that.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #13
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
They gave Mikey a grappling hook and look at how much the fans loved that.
So just do the same thing over and over again and completely disregard things that technically makes more sense(seriously dual weilding nunchunks aren't really that versatile compared to sais, swords, and even a Bo staff) because the fans will get mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Nunchucks are pretty cool and are the reason why I usually go with Mikey in Turtles in Time.
Nunchunks haven't been cool for like a decade plus Mikey can do something like this with the mentioned weapons.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
So just do the same thing over and over again and completely disregard things that technically makes more sense(seriously dual weilding nunchunks aren't really that versatile compared to sais, swords, and even a Bo staff) because the fans will get mad
I personally...didn't mind the grappling hook...(runs away).
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Yes, it was silly to bend to the trend in 1990 when blades and sais are sharp. Grapple hook as a primary resource not a primary weapon.

There should be a poll added to the initial post.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

When did nunchuks stop being cool?

Also I remember the controversy after the first picture of tmnt 2011 snowed Mikey with a different weapon. They had to do damage control that it was temporary upgrade to be used occasionally
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

Nunchunks haven't been cool for like a decade plus Mikey can do something like this with the mentioned weapons.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/70...3402f30ac1.gif
Nunchunks aren't cool ...as opposed to katanas, wooden bos and sais? By that logic shouldn't they just say "**** it" and use guns instead? After all being a ninja is also pretty outdated these days, isn't it?
Old 11-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #18
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Nunchunks aren't cool ...as opposed to katanas, wooden bos and sais? By that logic shouldn't they just say "**** it" and use guns instead? After all being a ninja is also pretty outdated these days, isn't it?
Said cool not practical and there are tons of new characters who still use katanas.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Said cool not practical and there are tons of new characters who still use katanas.
But what exactly makes nunchucks uncool? I don't think that's hurting Michelangelo's popularity at all. He's the most popular Turtle. Last time someone thought something about TMNT was uncool/outdated, Cowabunga was replaced with Booyakasha. And I'd rather not have that again.

Michelangelo has hardly been tolerable since like 1991, but his weapon of choice is definitely not the problem.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #20
Donnie
Something from the Past

Michelangelo uses the nunchucks. Period. They were always the coolest weapon of the four to me.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote