The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 06:05 AM   #841
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So...um...yeah, The Lazarus Contract did something to screw Wally over a bit more

The timeline's been meddled with again due to the Titans going back in to tamper with the speedforce after Deathstroke acquired powers due to Black Wally. During the visit to the past, Damien temporarily stops White Wally's heart, and he was fitted with a pacemaker, which alters his history so now he's always had one and thus has a limit on his speed.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:25 AM   #842
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

That sounds convukted and confusing. Wally West is supposed to be the fastest character in DC Comics, but now is kept in check with a pacemaker?

What is this supposedly flaskback tale about, The War of Jokes and Riddles? I get that Joker and Riddler are fighting each other, but why and why is it a flashback and not set in the present?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #843
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So...um...yeah, The Lazarus Contract did something to screw Wally over a bit more

The timeline's been meddled with again due to the Titans going back in to tamper with the speedforce after Deathstroke acquired powers due to Black Wally. During the visit to the past, Damien temporarily stops White Wally's heart, and he was fitted with a pacemaker, which alters his history so now he's always had one and thus has a limit on his speed.
How awful.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #845
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I thought it was a rule that Gotham heroes were not allowed weded bliss such as the tease with Dick and Barbara never being intended tofollow through with 11 years ago. I would love to have both Bruce and Selina and Dick and Barbara be married couples, but until it happens I see it as nothing more than a tease. I have learned that the hard way. Even if Bruce marries Selina and its a company-wide evemt it will likely last as long as Ollie and Dinah were permitted weded bliss.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #846
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The latest issue of Batman leaked, and yep, it's happening, but we won't know for a few months what Selina will do as the next big story is a flashback

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06...solved-months/

Sounds interesting, and holding it off for a few months gives them a chance to gauge fan anticipation and reaction

It would be a real bummer if Bruce's decision to quit and settle with Selina is somehow a part of Manhattan's mind manipulations and when he finally does recover somewhat, either after Doomsday Clock or whatever, he may call it off. I think the potential of Damien being raised by a step-mom that could keep him in line and possibly even encourage a bit of rule-breaking would be divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I thought it was a rule that Gotham heroes were not allowed weded bliss such as the tease with Dick and Barbara never being intended tofollow through with 11 years ago.
They did follow through with it in Convergence, only to immediately undo it.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-06-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #847
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never thought it would happen and I cannot believe that we did not have it hypd in a solicit months ago. I really want this to happen but I have my doubts.

So this Gotham Girl character knows Batma's secret identity. The dialogue suggest that Gotham is dead from what had struck Wally West back in 1984, a disease which the meta power kills the user gradually. I remember this duo being advertised but did not realize half of the duo was killed off already. Also, Batman mentions that he is scared! Batman admitting that aloud and to a new kid on the block? I could see him speaking more openly to Dick Grayson and felt it would have have been best to play pff this angle through Dick's encouragement just like what happened in Batman#615 during the Hush storyline which Bruce revealed his secret identity to Selina.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #848
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Also, Batman mentions that he is scared! Batman admitting that aloud and to a new kid on the block? I could see him speaking more openly to Dick Grayson and felt it would have have been best to play pff this angle through Dick's encouragement just like what happened in Batman#615 during the Hush storyline which Bruce revealed his secret identity to Selina.

but that just it. Tom King wants Batman to open up to a character that HE has created. some writers just do not respect legacy characters.

instead of Batman opening his deepest emotions to the people who he knows and trusts (like Dick Grayson) why not just have him spill his guts to someone he barely knows?

the last time Batman open up to a perfect stranger (Holly Robinson) didn't he end up getting his throat slashed?

HOLY lack of contingency plan for every eventuality, Batman!!!

i wonder if anyone will even remember any of these stories years from now?
long after the hype has long since died down.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #849
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
but that just it. Tom King wants Batman to open up to a character that HE has created. some writers just do not respect legacy characters.

instead of Batman opening his deepest emotions to the people who he knows and trusts (like Dick Grayson) why not just have him spill his guts to someone he barely knows?

the last time Batman open up to a perfect stranger (Holly Robinson) didn't he end up getting his throat slashed?

HOLY lack of contingency plan for every eventuality, Batman!!!

i wonder if anyone will even remember any of these stories years from now?
long after the hype has long since died down.
The issue where Batman proposes to Catwoman will absolutely be remembered.

Whether or not it SHOULD be remembered is a different argument.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #850
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Even if it does'nt amount to anything, that scene does change the dynamic of their relationship and deepens their bond and love story for another generation.

Mark my words, it may take a bit, but those two will eventually be married. If not by King, then maybe someone else, and it will be one of those things DC will be afraid to mess around with for quite some time when it happens...and may end up being stuck with given how testy fans were to the five year loss of Lois and Clark.

Some couples are so iconic that you pretty much have to glue them together. Look at Spider-Man. Ten years on from OMD removing the marriage from the core continuity and Marvel have never actually went a decade without publishing stories about him being hitched to MJ via other mediums and books.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #851
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So if its not happening in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps or Batgirl I do not know what is going on. So what is Gotham and Gotham Girl? I know nothing about them.

Dick Grayson or Alfred should be the one to have that conversation with as far as it being in character. What could have driven such a conversation with a stranger? The likely death of a character makes Batman embrace happiness that he might have and still fight crime? I would have thought a person close to him.

Was it strange to anyone for Batman saying multiple times that he was scared?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #852
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
So if its not happening in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps or Batgirl I do not know what is going on. So what is Gotham and Gotham Girl? I know nothing about them.

Dick Grayson or Alfred should be the one to have that conversation with as far as it being in character. What could have driven such a conversation with a stranger? The likely death of a character makes Batman embrace happiness that he might have and still fight crime? I would have thought a person close to him.

Was it strange to anyone for Batman saying multiple times that he was scared?
Read the first arc of Batman "I Am Gotham." It was pretty interesting... basically a couple of superpowered humans try to become Gotham's Superman and Supergirl...
Old 06-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #853
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.newsarama.com/30684-tom-...he-future.html

So Gotham did not even last one story and was killed by Gotham Girl? There had to be alternatives to Psycho Pirate puppetry!

Duke Thomas, is that the kid who helped Batman recover in Zero Year?

If this was 19 issues ago and it mentioned a marriage and a death than I guess there was a hint of this? Was the death referred to as Gotham the vigilante or another character? Its hard pressed to believe that it would be Bruce Wayne and/or Batman after the events of 2008-2010.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #854
myconius
Abby Normal

Bruce X Selina

part of me hope they do end up together, but i know their relationship has always been doomed to fail. they are both far too damaged!
but that's another reason why they've always clicked, even if it is only momentary.

i contemplated picking this issue up, but just flipped through it quickly and put it back down.
Tom King's dialog is just too stiff and robotic for me to take seriously.

it's really a shame that Paul Dini wasn't able to pick back up where he left off with 'Heart of Hush'.

unlike King, Dini is a writer who really knows how to write dialog and capture emotion!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #855
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
part of me hope they do end up together, but i know their relationship has always been doomed to fail. they are both far too damaged!
but that's another reason why they've always clicked, even if it is only momentary.

i contemplated picking this issue up, but just flipped through it quickly and put it back down.

it's really a shame that Paul Dini wasn't able to pick back up where he left off with 'Heart of Hush'.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._QL80_TTD_.jpg

unlike King, Dini is a writer who really knows how to write dialog and capture emotion!
I did pick it up and its the only story I have read in Rebirth that features Batman. That is why it was disorienting to me. I am all for it. It's just hard to get past what lead to it being in character for Bruce Wayne. Is it in character to propose to Selina Kyle? Yes. Its just the way it happened. There have been worse events and more personal things between them like Heart of Hush that would have made it a better epilogue. Sure,Bruce would go through the time warp and New 52, so perhaps that is why it did not happen then,but it would have been the perfect follow up in a contained narrative. Any chance this could inspire Mr. Grayson and Ms. Gordon? I know, I know,probably not and one married couple is lucky in Gotham if even that,but one can hope,right?

When talking about it doomed to fail, who is this death that King mentioned in the above linked interview from the time Vol.3#5 came out?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #856
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._QL80_TTD_.jpg

That is a damn good story. Yessireebub!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #857
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Would you gentlemen,want to read it over the weekend and discuss it in another thread?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #858
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Would you gentlemen,want to read it over the weekend and discuss it in another thread?
Nah, sorry... I'm already eyes deep in about five different books right now. But I'll be reading Stephen King's "IT" soon, so we can discuss that later...
Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #859
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Nah, sorry... I'm already eyes deep in about five different books right now. But I'll be reading Stephen King's "IT" soon, so we can discuss that later...
You know how to access it easily if you change your mind. As gross as the removing of Selina's heart is the story gets it right with Bruce and Selina.

I read it two years ago. It took me 5 weeks to get through 1,090 pages so good luck. I remember it well despite the passage of time. For the last week of school the students were allowed to pick one film from my personal film catalog I have listed. They chose It of all films because they all thought the story was horror. I assured them I would not own anything straight up horror*Ghostbusters/Scooby Doo/Gremlins),but they learned it was not scary like its hyped to be. Its The Goonies grown up fullfilling a vow to kill a Clayface/Joker hybrid. So yes, I showed the Tim Curry version at school as a reward for passing standardized. The new one, I never would due to the rating and some stuff I am glad the telefilm left out that could be included on the remake.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #860
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
I did pick it up and its the only story I have read in Rebirth that features Batman. That is why it was disorienting to me. I am all for it. It's just hard to get past what lead to it being in character for Bruce Wayne. Is it in character to propose to Selina Kyle? Yes. Its just the way it happened. There have been worse events and more personal things between them like Heart of Hush that would have made it a better epilogue. Sure,Bruce would go through the time warp and New 52, so perhaps that is why it did not happen then,but it would have been the perfect follow up in a contained narrative. Any chance this could inspire Mr. Grayson and Ms. Gordon? I know, I know,probably not and one married couple is lucky in Gotham if even that,but one can hope,right?

When talking about it doomed to fail, who is this death that King mentioned in the above linked interview from the time Vol.3#5 came out?
i really tried so hard to get into King's writing. me not buying an ongoing Batman title was almost like severing one of my own limbs.
but seeing how much he just does not understand the character was unbearable!
Tom King treats Batman like he's a bumbling Emo idiot!
and the dialog .... oh my GOD! the dialog is so stiff and redundant!
i almost bought issue #24 just for David Finch's art, but seeing that awful dialog fall out of Batman mouth just broke my heart!!

100% honest, i'd MUCH rather have David Finch writing and drawing the series by himself, then let King anywhere near it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That is a damn good story. Yessireebub!
still one of my favorite modern Batman stories!!
alongside me being a total sap for Bruce/Selina shipping...

i love the scene where Batman jumps Scarecrow inside Arkham, and starts torturing him for info where hush is.
meanwhile Joker is watching in absolute glee!!!

"Better than Christmas. Swear to God."

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman