The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
bushido
Stone Warrior

Batman/TMNT II #2 Preview and Discussion

Preview here.

Last edited by bushido; 12-20-2017 at 01:24 AM.
bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Still looking forward to this, but I hope it's better than the first issue.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh look, Donnie still sucks.

I really hate this mini-series. It'd be fine if it weren't for the Donatello bashing. I've missed Bebop and Rocksteady.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ra's on Bane: "I considered recruiting him, but of course, he's not one who can be controlled."

What's he talking about? He did recruit him. He was promised to Talia. It was a huge story.

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Ra's on Bane: "I considered recruiting him, but of course, he's not one who can be controlled."

What's he talking about? He did recruit him. He was promised to Talia. It was a huge story.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...edemon0218.jpg

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...9427-38304.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bKAotc04qv.../banetalia.jpg
What DC-earth # do you think these crossovers take place on?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I love that Bane/R'as/Talia story... good stuff...
Old 12-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Well...
Spoiler:
At least Bebop and Rocksteady knew their place?

Quote:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...edemon0218.jpg

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...9427-38304.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bKAotc04qv.../banetalia.jpg
Continuity kind of doesn't matter here.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Continuity kind of doesn't matter here.
Yeah, this miniseries seems to take place in its own bubble universe, divorced from either IDW TMNT or current DC Batman continuity
Old 12-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, this miniseries seems to take place in its own bubble universe, divorced from either IDW TMNT or current DC Batman continuity
But... why? The slightest little editorial nudge on either side and it'd work fine for both.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
But... why? The slightest little editorial nudge on either side and it'd work fine for both.
The same reason none of this is canon (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

If it was (in addition to a couple of a few others), then we'd also have to deal with all of this being connected to Ghostbusters, the X-Files, Usagi, Mirage Studios, the entire DC multiverse (not to mention how CoIE and all the other reboot ****ery DC has done factors in). It's not really anything anyone wants to deal with, that's the whole point of the Tommy Westphall theory. It's best just to be clear about this not taking place in any established continuity.
Spoiler:
Hahahaha!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Read the issue, it was a nice set-up issue. The art is better than the story so far though.

Anyone notice the spelling error when Bane was explaining his venom to Bebop/Rocksteady? When he was saying, "At any moment," the text reads, "At any momemt." I'm surprised to see a spelling error in a comic as big as this.

Bebop/Rocksteady decided to be minions of Bane rather quickly. Mr. Freeze's scenes were short but good. No Karai in this issue, but we get Baxter. I'm interesting in seeing Karai wrestle the Foot Clan away from Bane.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The same reason none of this is canon (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
If it was (in addition to a couple of a few others), then we'd also have to deal with all of this being connected to Ghostbusters, the X-Files, Usagi, Mirage Studios, the entire DC multiverse (not to mention how CoIE and all the other reboot ****ery DC has done factors in). It's not really anything anyone wants to deal with, that's the whole point of the Tommy Westphall theory. It's best just to be clear about this not taking place in any established continuity.
I can't vouch for a lot of those, but the Batman vs. Predator books were absolutely written with them being intended to "work" in Batman canon. And Batman vs. Spawn, Frank wrote as part of his Dark Knightverse.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tmanAliens.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...awn_Batman.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...edition%29.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...The_Spirit.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tham_cover.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oy_Starman.jpg
Even taking stories just featuring Batman, so many have been published that it's impossible for all of them to be reconciled into a single timeline. This page from Batman: Lost, part of the Dark Nights: Metal event series, pokes fun at that

Spoiler:
Old 12-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Even taking stories just featuring Batman, so many have been published that it's impossible for all of them to be reconciled into a single timeline.
Of course not. But every one that I've read has attempted to reconcile itself into whatever the current Batman continuity happens to be at that particular moment.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Of course not. But every one that I've read has attempted to reconcile itself into whatever the current Batman continuity happens to be at that particular moment.
For the most part, yeah, I think you're right. But sometimes they do a story that they specifically say is "set aside" in its own continuity; sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not.

Reading comics got a lot easier when I finally accepted that continuity is a lie, at least in most superhero comics from the Big Two. Continuity is like a gigantic, holographic Venn diagram, and almost any two stories featuring a character can be fit into a single narrative if the reader wants them to be. Likewise, stories that the reader doesn't care for can simply be ignored, with no major ramifications for the most part.

Every time the creative team on a character's series changes, the stories will change, characterization may change, anything is open to being changed, but it's all just taken as is. Sometimes the changes are welcome and accepted, sometimes the readers react negatively and there's a significant amount of backlash. It all depends on the character and the changes made.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I can't vouch for a lot of those, but the Batman vs. Predator books were absolutely written with them being intended to "work" in Batman canon. And Batman vs. Spawn, Frank wrote as part of his Dark Knightverse.
Sure but do you actually take it seriously? Do any writers? If the Batman/Spawn crossover is canon then not only would that imply Spawn takes place in a variant of the DC Universe (which itself would raise some questions), it would potentially also mean that it's conntected to Sonic the damn Hedgehog.

And while the idea of Lex Luthor teaming up with a goofball like Doctor Eggman in the gritty world of DKR is amusing, doesn't that seem to be far too absurd?

Quote:
Sure as do I, as does anyone.
Hahahaha!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Batman Spawn crossover is canon to Spawn, though. after the crossover he continued to sport the facial wounds from a batarang.

But canon is very loosy-goosy nowadays with DC and Marvel, DC seems to go out of their way to avoid any Elseworld designation to their "non-canon" stories to the point that the reader should just decide what's canon to them and don't be too fussy about continuity.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Batman Spawn crossover is canon to Spawn, though. after the crossover he continued to sport the facial wounds from a batarang.
No, go back and look. That appeared to be the case for a few months, when McFarlane skipped ahead from #19 to #21, leaving #20 unreleased for about 5 months. When the missing #20 came out, it wasn't Batman that did the head wound, it was Harry Houdini that did it.

The intention was clearly to make people think the Batman story was canon to Spawn for a little while, though.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

Batman calling Donatello, Donnie feels weird to me. Like he should be calling him by his complete name.

Quote:

Even if this was completely canon I can't believe you'd pull out a pre-New 52 story to insist is still in current canon. Unless it's been referenced sometime after Flashpoint nobody should assume it is.

Either way though you've been reading comics long enough to where you damn well know literally zero people who have ever written has ever kept continuity straight.

Last edited by Ninjinister; 12-20-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

You can't keep continuity with Batman anyway. He's remained around 35 years old for 70+ years, he now has had 4 Robin's, and we're expected to believe Dick Grayson grew up, became Nightwing, joined the Teen Titans, and all the other Robin's like Jason Todd and Tim Drake lasted about a year each until Damian arrive? And between all that joining the Justice League, fighting crime for years, etc?

DC has no real choice but to pull the retcon card every decade now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote