The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Creed II

The latest: "it is coming out in November!!! Thanksgiving!!!"

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...statue-2017-12

We know that Dolph Lundgren is back as Drago and from the earlier casting calls for MMA fighters, we know that Creed will be fighting his son. Stallone was supposed to direct it but it looks like he bowed out a couple of weeks ago: https://www.avclub.com/creed-2-gets-...pla-1821196141
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Will it be the same without Stallone though?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
He's still in it, presumably still as Creed's manager. He co-wrote the script, too. Obviously, we're not going to get Stallone vs. Lundgren, round 2, but I suspect there will be some kind of conflict there.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't know if I want Creed to be a series. This one I can give it a pass since it can be a revenge movie, the set up is already there. I never did watch Creed, is he his son or grandson?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't know if I want Creed to be a series. This one I can give it a pass since it can be a revenge movie, the set up is already there. I never did watch Creed, is he his son or grandson?
Illegitimate son. "Creed" retroactively made Apollo a cheater.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Creed was really good. I didn't expect it to be so good either but it was.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Illegitimate son. "Creed" retroactively made Apollo a cheater.
Wow, but still, does that mean this newbie boxer is 30 years old?

does that mean he cheated on his wife right before his match? maybe him dying was karma?

What a way to kill daddy Creed's character but I guess it's a good movie since everyone loves it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Creed was really good. I didn't expect it to be so good either but it was.
I watched all the Rocky films (before creed) about 3 years ago and I enjoyed them but can't say I'm a huge fan, didn't think any of them were amazing but I had fun. I think this one would be similar. I just don't want to add more movies to my backlog, how much more can they do to the story even if it's a new boxer
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I just don't want to add more movies to my backlog, how much more can they do to the story even if it's a new boxer
Just watch on 1.5x speed, you'll finish a 2 hour movie in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

does that mean he cheated on his wife right before his match? maybe him dying was karma?
Hm, Rocky IV was 1985, assuming Creed was born 9 months later in 1986, and Creed 1 took place in 2015... he'd be about 29.

Quote:
I watched all the Rocky films (before creed) about 3 years ago and I enjoyed them but can't say I'm a huge fan, didn't think any of them were amazing but I had fun.
I'm an enormous fan. They start out so small but so great, then keep getting bigger and more intense... then it all becomes really, really sad between Rocky V, Rocky Balboa, and Creed. A guy that fights to get everything, does, then little by little loses everything and everybody until all he has left is his dignity. And then he gets possibly terminal cancer. Yeesh. SAD!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Rocky films are basically a portrayal of most real life sports athletes. They have their prime and rise to fame when they're really young. They have their "regular years" into their 30's or whatever, then they age and start performing worse and then they fall out of popularity...and then it's the waning years where they basically retire and then fans who liked them as kids are now nostalgic for them.

It's basically the same thing for any really popular sports athlete. What can you expect? People age and get older, of course they're going to lose their skill and then when they get really old they have to retire.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

What a way to kill daddy Creed's character but I guess it's a good movie since everyone loves it

I watched all the Rocky films (before creed) about 3 years ago and I enjoyed them but can't say I'm a huge fan, didn't think any of them were amazing but I had fun. I think this one would be similar. I just don't want to add more movies to my backlog, how much more can they do to the story even if it's a new boxer
The interesting thing is Carl Withers wanted to appear in Rock Balboa(Rocky VI) when asked if his likeness oculd be used for flashbacks, despite his character being dead.

Apollo was was an arrogant showman, but he was no cheater. However, yes he was retroactively a cheater who conceived a second son the night before he died in Las Vegas. That would give Adonis a 1986 birth. So he would have been 29 years old starting his boxing career. Why not have Apollo and Mary Anne's son attempt boxing and have a more emotional connection with Mary Ann horrified at the possibility of a deja vu. Instead his wife learns of her husband's infidelity and the random one nighter was also dead so she raised not their son, but her husband's illegitimate son. It would have probably suited better even if it was an illegitimate son conceived just before he died to have the movie not take place in 2015, but perhaps right after Rocky Balboa (Rocky XI)? Apollo and Mary Anne's son would have been in his mid 20s' or if they went the out of character illegitimate son route he would have been 20 years old. That would not be much younger than Tommy Gunn was in Rocky V.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
He didn't direct the first Creed.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
He's still in it, presumably still as Creed's manager. He co-wrote the script, too. Obviously, we're not going to get Stallone vs. Lundgren, round 2, but I suspect there will be some kind of conflict there.
I meant more in terms in, didn't he direct all of the movies?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I meant more in terms in, didn't he direct all of the movies?
No. He directed Rocky II, III, IV and Rocky Balboa. Which is technically "most" of them, but yeah. Creed was directed by Ryan Coogler, who did Fruitvale Station and the upcoming Black Panther movie.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Drago's Son has been Cast

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_ib_1jeuy/

officialslystalloneCongratulations to Florian “ Big Nasty” Munteanu for getting the part as IVAN DRAGOS son! 6 feet four, 245 pounds of talent.#mgm #creed #creed2
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Am I the only one who wishes they'd get actors to play the opponents in these movies? Ever since Rocky V it's been real boxer after real boxer and none of them have "stuck" the way the opponents in 1-4 did.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Am I the only one who wishes they'd get actors to play the opponents in these movies? Ever since Rocky V it's been real boxer after real boxer and none of them have "stuck" the way the opponents in 1-4 did.
I agree but I think some of that has to do with Rocky’s opponents in the first four movies just being more interesting characters that lent themselves perfectly to the story being told. I mean Apollo was a very relevant character at the time mirroring in many ways the showmanship displayed by boxers in that era. Clubber Lang was in a way his own underdog Rocky like character but just from the other side of the tracks. Again he was perfect in showing the need for Rocky to embrace his own “coming up from nothing” origins. And Drago was of course very culturally relevant during the whole 80’s Cold War/Regan era. It was an easy way to make Rocky a national hero once again but continue to humble and humanize the character.

As for the rest of the boxers/opponents in the rest of the films they were just there mostly because you’ve got to fight someone if you’re going to box. I think those films weren’t so much about “who” Rocky was fighting but more of “why” he was fighting. Those films were just more about Rocky’s personal growth as his career came to end and didn’t really need an opponent that carried the same weight as he did. In those films Rocky was his own opponent. That’s not to say that the first four films didn’t feature some of those same elements but his opponents character development was integral in creating the Rocky character legend we see today.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, but did anyone care about Tommy Gunn? Did Mason Dixon leave a meaningful stamp on the saga? Does anyone even remember who Creed fought in the last movie?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, but did anyone care about Tommy Gunn? Did Mason Dixon leave a meaningful stamp on the saga? Does anyone even remember who Creed fought in the last movie?
Exactly that’s what I’m trying to say. We really weren’t supposed to care about those guys in 5, Balboa, or Creed because it was all about Rocky and what he was fighting for and not so much who he was fighting. Hence why Stallone chose to get fighters for those films. Plus I know Stallone has said that he always wanted the boxing in those later films to look more authentic. I’m not sure if he actually achieved that but I can say that never really mattered to me.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-eyeball View Post
Exactly that’s what I’m trying to say. We really weren’t supposed to care about those guys in 5, Balboa, or Creed because it was all about Rocky and what he was fighting for and not so much who he was fighting.
It's still possible to do that and have memorable opponents.

Quote:
Plus I know Stallone has said that he always wanted the boxing in those later films to look more authentic. I’m not sure if he actually achieved that but I can say that never really mattered to me.
I'm sure that's more what it came down to. But I mean, sh**, just send the opponent actor to boxing camp for 3 months. This is Hollywood.