The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #6981
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
We've been having on-and-off rain all weekend. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't making it cold close to the end of May, when it would typically be skin-meltingly hot.

And you're complaining that it's NOT??!! How can you not like this cool weather in May??!! I LOVE it!! Yes even the on-again, off-again rain. I've even managed to sprout some of the local wildflowers sometimes called rain lillies. Lovely and smell so sweet! I just tossed some seeds from a patch along my route home into my tea rose pot, and they are already sprouting up! My mom has been wanting to start some in her wildflower garden patch, but hasn't had any come up yet.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #6982
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
then i'd really have no social interaction. a fun circle ;o).
Nah, it's a great big wide internet full of other places and people more worth talking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Imagine ten cubes all coming at you at once on an almost weekly basis nonstop in rants .
Then in that case, were it me, I'd be gone from there. Maybe it leaves it open for them to act act like "Yay, she left!" but they'd be the ones clueless to the fact that they're continuing so soak in a cesspool of a forum/site they're mistaking for a hot tub. (But then, look who are the ones that s*** in the water.) Probably only a matter of time before they turn on another in their group.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-23-2017 at 07:50 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #6983
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
And you're complaining that it's NOT??!! How can you not like this cool weather in May??!! I LOVE it!! Yes even the on-again, off-again rain. I've even managed to sprout some of the local wildflowers sometimes called rain lillies. Lovely and smell so sweet! I just tossed some seeds from a patch along my route home into my tea rose pot, and they are already sprouting up! My mom has been wanting to start some in her wildflower garden patch, but hasn't had any come up yet.
Well, on the one hand, it's great, but on the other...it's almost the end of May. Which of course means June is probably going to be sweltering.

In something I've been meaning to address for a while, there's a particular movie genre I can't stand:
Quote:
Wacky Jimmy's a wild card that looooves to party! But then everything changed WHEN HE HAD A BABY DUPED ON HIM. And now Jimmy's party time...is Daddy Time! Too bad being a single dad is HARD WORK. Stay tuned for PARTY DAD at 9/10 PM Central on Fox!
And so on. I get it, you want to ride on the dead horse that's Three Men and a Baby. But "Clueless 30 something men can't take care of a baby but have to" isn't just boring, but honestly a little insulting to single fathers that are trying to do a good job. I understand that Raising Hope might be a good example, but it's enough of a thing that I was put off. Heck, just the very concept of "Men who shouldn't take care of kids look after kids" as a comedy isn't very fun, at least for me.

I personally might take a different spin on it, where the comedy comes not from idiots who don't know what they're doing, but people who do know what they're doing but aren't the type you expect.
I'd do something where a Mafia-esque mob are raising an abandoned baby. Or Viking Warlords.
"Oh sh*t a baby...it's ours now. This is our sweet summer child"
"...Halcyon, it's autumn."
It's certainly a different breed of Wacky and most of the humor might stem from the very idea of Good Dads coming from Viking raiders. Like stealing just TWO GOATS so they could feed the baby and then that climbs into Goat Antics. Including putting one back because it turned out to be a ram, or too old.

And then it's an uphill battle to still avoid the tropes of "Baby Movie Comedy" that's still a plague.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #6984
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Have you seen the anime movie Tokyo Godfathers? It's a more bittersweet take on tbe idea. Three homeless guys (one's a drag queen) find an abandoned baby. And get attatched. And so on. Hits ya in the feels.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 PM   #6985
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ohhh yes. I love Tokyo Godfathers. Mostly because it's not a "hardy har" comedy and doesn't make fun of their inability to care for the baby because "men are inherently incompetent with children". I'm not even sure if I want to call it a comedy at all, even if it has its funny moments.

I'm also pretty sure Hana is a transgender woman, not a drag queen.

I spent a lot of time screaming through the final chase scene the first time I watched it...

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 05-23-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:30 PM   #6986
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I smashed my fingers changing out the Coke soda syrup at work. Stupid thing was heavier than I remembered and my fingers hurt a lot after that.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #6987
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Ohhh yes. I love Tokyo Godfathers. Mostly because it's not a "hardy har" comedy and doesn't make fun of their inability to care for the baby because "men are inherently incompetent with children". I'm not even sure if I want to call it a comedy at all, even if it has its funny moments.

I'm also pretty sure Hana is a transgender woman, not a drag queen.

I spent a lot of time screaming through the final chase scene the first time I watched it...

Hmmm I'm not sure if Hana was actually transgemder or not. But I do remember that being a drag performer was how he(she) made his "living"(such asit was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I smashed my fingers changing out the Coke soda syrup at work. Stupid thing was heavier than I remembered and my fingers hurt a lot after that.

Gawds I HATE those things! Thankfully I never have to mess with them since we have the maintenance guys for that but yeah they are pretty darn heavy.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #6988
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Going to get rain and storms today. Plus, my nose is running like crazy and I don't know why. Must be allergies.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #6989
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Histrionics in YouTube reviews. YouTube thumbnails are an interesting topic on their own, but what’s going on in these is just a symptom of a larger phenomenon.

For the record, I didn’t like Alien Covenant that much either, but at no point during the screening, or subsequent discussions about the film, did I feel compelled to face-palm. Even if you were heavily invested in the Alien franchise at some point, surely you are used to disappointment by now?! Ranting about it like a deranged street preacher has got to be more about theatricality than genuine frustration.

The quality of discourse in the typical YouTube review is so remedial that I am surprised when the video titles are spelled correctly. Everything is s**t, or dumb, or ‘hot garbage’, or a ‘dumpster fire’, that was made by morons and douchebags who only rose through the ranks of one of the most competitive industries on Earth because the business itself is financed by even bigger morons and douchebags. All of this spewing from the mouth of a semi-literate blowhard in a printed t-shirt, shot against a Funko Pop! infested Billy Bookcase that they couldn’t be bothered to tidy before shooting. Funko Pop!s are the marker of good taste by the way.

I could carry on but it’s time for my medicine.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #6990
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Realizing some things that could have been seriously better on my homework AFTER turning it in. Good thing it's not the final version of the project...and we probably won't go with that design anyway...but it still looks pretty crummy....
Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 AM   #6991
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Hmmm I'm not sure if Hana was actually transgemder or not. But I do remember that being a drag performer was how he(she) made his "living"(such asit was).
Being transgender and drag performer isn't mutually exclusive.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:28 AM   #6992
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That is true. But she carried on after leaving that profession, so it wasn't just an act for her.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #6993
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

We also see that she takes offense being called a man, dislikes being in the men's ward at the hospital and she wants to be a mother.

The movie was really refreshing to see a trans person that wasn't being used as a punchline for the usual jokes you see transpeople are afflicted to.

Although some translations do give her male peonouns

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 05-25-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #6994
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Plenty of trans people figure out who they are when starting out drag

I've never heard of this movie but if it has a decent trans portrayal I'll have to give it a look
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #6995
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's a pretty awesome movie. It's about three homeless people in Tokyo (an alcoholic deadbeat, the trans lady we've been talking about, and a teenage runaway) that find an abandoned baby, and try to figure out where she came from, all while coming to terms their own inner issues, through Christmas and New Year.

I think the biggest source of humor from Miss Hana is that she's melodramatic, not from the fact that she's trans.

(The third act is also a serious heart-stopper on first viewing. I was terrified someone wasn't going to survive)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #6996
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Ok, that concept definitely has my attention. Now I know I gotta check this out!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #6997
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There are a couple scene that could be a little cringey - complete with one that I can't watch after the first time.

And a line that's pretty iconic.
"Could you bring me a trash can?"
*tiny trash can is delivered*
"...I can't fit in it..."
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #6998
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I can handle a few cringey scenes, but thanks for the heads up

I'm one of those people that experiences intense second-hand embarrassment, to the point where I have difficulty making it through scenes where a character embarrasses themself multiple times, so I'm kinda used to cringe for entirely unrelated reasons, haha.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #6999
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ah, okay. It's more violence on the homeless sort of deal.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #7000
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Aw. How rude.