The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I always preferred Ryan Brown since he created Rat King and Leatherhead not to mention his other media contributions. Do not forget Dan Berger still works part-time for Peter thus having the longest association with Mirage post-TMNT.
Name two more and we can have a Mirage Magnificent Seven.

Oh, Steve Murphy. I can't think of anything he's ever done for TMNT that I actually LIKE, but he does deserve blame--I mean, credit.

So one more?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

Oh, Steve Murphy. I can't think of anything he's ever done for TMNT that I actually LIKE, but he does deserve blame--I mean, credit.

So one more?
You don't like the Archie series or his early Mirage work like Sons Of The Silent Age? I think the dude's a legend. Preachy at times, but otherwise top notch.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #23
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
So one more?
Dooney, surely?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #24
Cipher
Foot Elite

"Sons of the Silent Age" is a top five of all time. Murphy had certain goals with his early years on a kids' book, which is fair, but he knew what to do with the characters and their world to present poignant stories as well.

Did he also do "Dreams of Stone"? That's pretty solid too. He also co-wrote, or perhaps scripted entirely, the first issue of "Soul's Winter" as well, which is another top-fiver.

Also, I could have sworn Jim Lawson created Rat King. Is that wrong? Didn't he write Tales #4?

More on-topic: Of the two co-creators, I do slightly prefer Laird's vision, if for no other reason than he was willing to treat the series a serious, though still playful, avenue for story-telling. But the reason I really love the series owes itself to a handful of other creators, Lawson and Murphy very prominently among them.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
Powder
So tired of this place

Yes, Rat King is Lawson's creation.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its kind of ironic PL doesn't like a lot of mutants, but at the same time includes lots of aliens, creatures and monsters and other sci-fi elements for the Turtles to face instead.

After a while, what's the difference?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You don't like the Archie series or his early Mirage work like Sons Of The Silent Age? I think the dude's a legend. Preachy at times, but otherwise top notch.
I'm not a fan of the Archie series but I forgot Murphy did "Sons of the Silent Age." That was an incredible story... I take it back.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #28
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylonsklingonsdaleksohmy View Post
i'm not a fan of the archie series
whaa!!!???

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
whaa!!!???
Sorry. The Fred Wolf cartoon and the offshoot TMNTA (yes, very far removed eventually) just hold no interest or appeal for me. I grew up with the cartoon and can't go back.

And when it's a choice of buying one TMNT comic, one with a decapitated giant cow head on it and one with a bloodsoaked Shredder holding Raphael's bandanna, seriously, how do you not go with Image over Archie?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #30
Powder
So tired of this place

Did you read the later half of the Archie books? They're tonally more like the 4kids turtles than the OT at that point. Once Chris Allan comes on board the book's a lot more serious/mature.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of the best episodes of the original cartoon are still some of the most entertaining episodes of TMNT of all time.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #32
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Did you read the later half of the Archie books? They're tonally more like the 4kids turtles than the OT at that point. Once Chris Allan comes on board the book's a lot more serious/mature.
Which is where my undying love comes in. Though Mitchroney's style does have a certain charm.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the Archie series

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

I gotta say the Archie series is definitely among my favorite incarnations. Right up with the first movie and 2K3. For what it's worth, it was the Archie book that kept me a fan through the years there wasn't any new TMNT media. Although the book had also been cancelled by then, I re-read those issues a lot in the years before 2K3. I didn't start picking up Mirage until around 2001, nobody around here ever really carried it, so my emotional attachment to that book is really rather minimal by comparison.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 PM   #35
pennydreadful
trash

TMNT Archie comics were the first TMNT comics I ever owned, so I've got a big mushy soft spot for 'em. I thought they were fun and had a lot of cool stuff - admittedly some really corny stuff too, but then again, look at Volume 4... can't win 'em all, y'know?

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #36
Cipher
Foot Elite

Adventures is cool, but I'm not going to pick a bone with anybody for not enjoying it. Even its later issues are more enjoyable in a "This is creative and it's amazing you got away with it considering the audience" kind of way than anything else. It's the best take on the original Playmates-driven aesthetic, but ... yeah. A lot of its appeal rides on putting it in context.

#62 is pretty stellar, though. I'd have had no problem with the book ending on that issue.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #37
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I was shocked when Peter told me to my face he resented TMNT for being such a big thing especially into the defining cartoon that shapes my and so many millions of views of the TMNT and why we love it so. The only thing he liked out of what made the turtles into a household name that he liked was the Technodrome and Baxter Stockman turned into a mutant fly. Why withhold all the comics that did not debut in the black and white comic and why not incorporate elements into the characters as they are in the comics I questioned for years. He just has a strict view of wanting to see his product a certain way and it got far away from his ability to do so. His wanting to remove TMNT from his lives is understandable and he has a genuine love for his creation so I respect that.

Kevin, met him as well and I like his shinier more people person personality. He is more open and glad his product makes us happy and change it to the way people want to see it which draws me more to him than Peter. Would he approve of anything? No, if it has potential of keeping his product with life which means it could excite fans AND make him a buck yes I can see that easily.
It's funny as people probably wouldn't even know him or the comic he helped create without the cartoon. The cartoon MADE the Turtles even if it did change his ideas. I personally wouldn't care as long as people enjoyed something I helped create. I mean it's also rather naïve to assume one's product would stay the same and not be changed. Look how many incarnations Marvel and DC characters have gone through? Did he really think the Turtles would stay the same all these years? Doesn't matter really, we've got all sorts of incarnations of Turtles to look at. That's why I don't think any series is really a betrayal of the original, it's just another way of telling the story, no more different than the different incarnations of "A Christmas Carol".
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

Some people are more creative-minded than commercial-minded. It's clear now in retrospect that Kevin was the "capitalist" and Pete was the "artist".

I see both sides of it. And I will say that anyone who gets involved in a commercial endeavor should expect certain things upfront. On the other hand, me personally, if I put a lot of work into creating a character or story, and then other people "messed with" it, I'd be furious, regardless of money. It's no longer "mine", at that point, it's been stolen and vandalized. And especially if there were aspects of the story or a particular character that were deeply personal, for one reason or another... nobody else would be able to execute it "correctly", because the personal aspect of it would be gone, the "Why" would be gone. And someone could justify it by saying, "No, it's just a new *version* of your character", to which I'd reply, "No, you're absolutely wrong, it's not the same character/story AT ALL because there were specific reasons I had for doing this, that, or the other, and now, it's broken, because the people who changed it didn't understand WHY certain things were important, and arrogantly pasted *their* nonsense on top of what I had done as if it wouldn't matter. So no, it's a completely different story/character now." I'd be pissed, honestly.

But yeah, that's the kind of thing a person needs to decide before they take the check. I agree. I *don't* agree that making arbitrary changes for the sheer "Why Not?" of it is harmless. Some people don't care how their art is represented and others really, really do. I've always created art for personal reasons, so while I wouldn't be opposed to getting paid for writing something, I'd never want anyone else to screw with what I'd done. Everyone's different. But they should be respected regardless of what side they fall on; it's their work.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Adventures is cool, but I'm not going to pick a bone with anybody for not enjoying it. Even its later issues are more enjoyable in a "This is creative and it's amazing you got away with it considering the audience" kind of way than anything else. It's the best take on the original Playmates-driven aesthetic, but ... yeah. A lot of its appeal rides on putting it in context.

#62 is pretty stellar, though. I'd have had no problem with the book ending on that issue.
Adventures actually felt like it was written for adults instead of kids after the half-way point. There's very little difference between late Archie and IDW for example in terms of tone or violence.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #40
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Adventures actually felt like it was written for adults instead of kids after the half-way point. There's very little difference between late Archie and IDW for example in terms of tone or violence.
Later half? I think you need to get to the Dreamland arc before that happens, and that's just about the end of the game.

Even then, it's a lot more embracing of corny solutions, etc. than IDW is, because it's written for a less critical audience.

There are great ideas there and it's a lot of fun if you know what you're getting into, but it needs the caveat that it's a kids' book.

Tags
kevin eastman, peter laird