The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #801
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Do you gain enjoyment from buying 1, then having that one break, wear out, or get lost some day, and then having to get another one from eBay for $500?

Happened to me with a red xenomorph foot, and I would buy another if it were retail cost but even that not-so-limited item is now expensive on the secondary market. Sure wish I had bought 2 way back when. Not gonna take chances with extremely limited items which I already know are going to hold high personal value to me for the rest of my life.

Cut this holier than thou crap. THERE ARE A LOT OF VALID REASONS FOR ONE PERSON TO BUY TWO OF SOMETHING.

Collecting is about being plugged in. It is only with the aid of Twitter, Instagram, forums like this, and the web in general that you can gain all the info and tips you will need to make sure you don't miss something, even mass-market items, even if there were no such thing as a scalper.
I mean... If you use that logic I guess I should buy 2 cars, and put one away in case one breaks. Or two homes. This is a bit of a ridiculous argument. IF over the years you had only ever bought one of all these things and had replaced only the things that had broke you probably would have spent less money over time. Even if paying an increased price every time something broke. And if you are breaking things that often...

There are legitimate reasons to buy two. Like someone mentioned, for their kids, or for another individual. But the whole, one to save, one to collect has always bothered me. Why not, one to display open, one to display boxed, and a back up? Why not one to display open, one to display boxed, and back up for each?

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #802
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's times like this I sure miss the $80 pricetag that the 4-pack of the NECA Comic Turtles had back in '08
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #803
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
I mean... If you use that logic I guess I should buy 2 cars, and put one away in case one breaks. Or two homes. This is a bit of a ridiculous argument.
No...what's ridiculous is your failure to understand the difference between my case and what you said.

If your car breaks down, you can go buy a new car for fair market value similar to MSRP on your first car (adjusted for inflation and the state of the car market of course). You'll be paying what anybody else in the market for a "car" at that point in time is paying, and you will have a very wide pool to choose from as well.

Same with a home.

But when it comes to LIMITED EDITION TO 7,000 action figures or LIMITED EDITION TO 2,000 dioramas, no, it doesn't work that way. If I need another in 20 years I will possibly be paying an exponential amount over the original MSRP, which will in no way compare favorably to the current market value of "toys in general" nor would I want any old toy in general, I would want this specific limited toy.

If you had specified we were talking about limited edition cars that hold extreme nostalgia value for you, then yeah, maybe you should buy 2, if you have the space to keep a spare until your retirement years.

I don't buy 2 of very many things, I open all my toys and would rather use my space for more open toys than toys locked in packaging forever. In this particular case, I did not buy 2 because of an imagined projected profit down the road on the 2nd. I bought 2 because I might want to build a bigger diorama and I want duplicates of the figures, and I know this will likely be my only chance to have that option at the MSRP. If I was the type of person who wanted 1 open, 1 displayed, 1 open backup, 1 displayed backup, then generally I don't know why you would try and say I am not free to go ahead and buy that many and live my life -- except in this case, where NECA set a reasonable limit of 2 due to the low production quantity. This is a reasonable limit. You think 1 is more reasonable. NECA did not agree with you. NECA decides. NECA wins, I win.

Last edited by DonnieLaForge; 06-15-2018 at 03:49 PM.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #804
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
No...what's ridiculous is your failure to understand the difference between my case and what you said.

If your car breaks down, you can go buy a new car for fair market value similar to MSRP on your first car (adjusted for inflation and the state of the car market of course). You'll be paying what anybody else in the market for a "car" at that point in time is paying, and you will have a very wide pool to choose from as well.

Same with a home.

But when it comes to LIMITED EDITION TO 7,000 action figures or LIMITED EDITION TO 2,000 dioramas, no, it doesn't work that way. If I need another in 20 years I will possibly be paying an exponential amount over the original MSRP, which will in no way compare favorably to the current market value of "toys in general" nor would I want any old toy in general, I would want this specific limited toy.

If you had specified we were talking about limited edition cars that hold extreme nostalgia value for you, then yeah, maybe you should buy 2, if you have the space to keep a spare until your retirement years.

I don't buy 2 of very many things, I open all my toys and would rather use my space for more open toys than toys locked in packaging forever. In this particular case, I did not buy 2 because of an imagined projected profit down the road on the 2nd. I bought 2 because I might want to build a bigger diorama and I want duplicates of the figures, and I know this will likely be my only chance to have that option at the MSRP. If I was the type of person who wanted 1 open, 1 displayed, 1 open backup, 1 displayed backup, then generally I don't know why you would try and say I am not free to go ahead and buy that many and live my life -- except in this case, where NECA set a reasonable limit of 2 due to the low production quantity. This is a reasonable limit. You think 1 is more reasonable. NECA did not agree with you. NECA decides. NECA wins, I win.
Congratulations on winning. I see it is very important that you do so.

I just don't understand why you think you are more important than other people on this forum and that you deserve two when some people couldn't get it at all.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #805
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Some are just a little more greedy than others but then again, Neca didn't have to allow two per customer.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #806
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
Congratulations on winning. I see it is very important that you do so.

I just don't understand why you think you are more important than other people on this forum and that you deserve two when some people couldn't get it at all.
So you're telling me that if I had only gotten 1, and everyone else had only gotten 1, then everyone who "deserves one" would have been able to get one?

That's nonsense.

You are not the arbiter of who "deserves" one, and neither am I. NECA was forced to make it such that only a maximum of 7,000 people "deserve" one, and they decided to set a reasonable limit for their fans to purchase up to 2 (meaning there are actually, according to them, somewhere between 3,500-7,000 people who "deserve" one).

The only way "deserve" comes into this, is that those who tried with all their might to get them (success or none) surely "deserve" them more than those who did not try at all, or very hard.

But why stop there? What about all the poor folks in 3rd world countries (or 1st) who couldn't scrounge together $125 + international shipping if they tried? Do they not "deserve" one either, just because they are poor?

Basically what's going on here is that YOU think that I *don't* deserve 2 and you would like to convince yourself and everyone of this by projecting this thinking onto me as "me thinking I deserve 2". I "deserve" exactly as many as NECA offered and I was able to get.

Every person was offered 2. Everyone had the same offer. Whether it was 1, 2 or 100, it is fair game for anyone to take up as much of their offer as desired.

You are not some grand arbiter of justice for deciding to limit yourself to 1. We are not talking about ethics here, we are talking about toys. Human justice does not rest on the distribution of 1990 TMNT movie character reproductions in the 1:12 scale.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #807
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
So you're telling me that if I had only gotten 1, and everyone else had only gotten 1, then everyone who "deserves one" would have been able to get one?

That's nonsense.

You are not the arbiter of who "deserves" one, and neither am I. NECA was forced to make it such that only a maximum of 7,000 people "deserve" one, and they decided to set a reasonable limit for their fans to purchase up to 2 (meaning there are actually, according to them, somewhere between 3,500-7,000 people who "deserve" one).

The only way "deserve" comes into this, is that those who tried with all their might to get them (success or none) surely "deserve" them more than those who did not try at all, or very hard.

But why stop there? What about all the poor folks in 3rd world countries (or 1st) who couldn't scrounge together $125 + international shipping if they tried? Do they not "deserve" one either, just because they are poor?

Basically what's going on here is that YOU think that I *don't* deserve 2 and you would like to convince yourself and everyone of this by projecting this thinking onto me as "me thinking I deserve 2". I "deserve" exactly as many as NECA offered and I was able to get.

Every person was offered 2. Everyone had the same offer. Whether it was 1, 2 or 100, it is fair game for anyone to take up as much of their offer as desired.

You are not some grand arbiter of justice for deciding to limit yourself to 1. We are not talking about ethics here, we are talking about toys. Human justice does not rest on the distribution of 1990 TMNT movie character reproductions in the 1:12 scale.
Dude. You won already. You proclaimed it yourself.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #808
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:

Hell if your figure broke the day it arrived, you'd still be screwed if you didn't buy a second set. With an edition release that is this limited you'd be stymied right out of the gate. I mean sure neca might be able to send you a replacement if you asked nicely. But we all know how hard it was for them to fulfill that promise last time around.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #809
Powder
So tired of this place

This thread sucks now.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #810
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This thread sucks now.

This might one of the first times I actually agree with Powder. Would it be wrong to just open up a complaining and fighting thread where people can go get their hostility out so they can rejoin a thread like this and stick to making it light and conversation worthy?
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #811
predaking000
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
Hell if your figure broke the day it arrived, you'd still be screwed if you didn't buy a second set. With an edition release that is this limited you'd be stymied right out of the gate. I mean sure neca might be able to send you a replacement if you asked nicely. But we all know how hard it was for them to fulfill that promise last time around.
Last year, both of my '17 sets had screwed-up Shredders. One had a misassembled helmet, and the other had two left feet.

NECA eventually got around to sending me replacement parts. A pain in the rear, though. Had to wait a few months.

Hopefully, the QC on the '18s is better.

As far as this thread, yeah, emotions have spilled out a bit, but things will settle down, and these arguments aren't even the worst I've seen lately on toy boards. It's all good.

The need to be "right" is strong in some people, even though nobody wins an Internet argument. I've learned to just let people have the last word. Otherwise, I look to be a bigger idiot than I already am for engaging in the first place.

Last edited by predaking000; 06-15-2018 at 10:13 PM.
predaking000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #812
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Just gets pretty annoying to see people hating on NECA, or making blanket statements about the intentions of forum members who did nothing wrong...over and over on every page.

Even Latin King was entitled to try his hand at getting 1-2 and doing what he ultimately wants with them. Prob not a good idea to talk about scalping on here on his part, but now the rest of us are supposed to feel bad about collecting, too?

Misery loves company I guess? If I missed out I would be posting "welp, I missed out, guess I will need a plan B" not having a crisis of identity and ethics.

Still I hope people who missed out understand they have not likely been shut or priced out of getting one just yet. Keep the faith and have patience.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #813
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This thread sucks now.
I picked a bad one to jump back in on, I just wanted to talk about the figures and all anyone else seems to be doing is complaint, fighting, and insulting...

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #814
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
I picked a bad one to jump back in on, I just wanted to talk about the figures and all anyone else seems to be doing is complaint, fighting, and insulting...
Welcome to the Technodrome..... we get along like you would expect people gathered in a technodrome get along. Think Beebop and Rocksteady from the TMNT animated series. Sometimes we are buds but most time we are mad at each other for being the dumber one.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #815
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking000 View Post
Last year, both of my '17 sets had screwed-up Shredders. One had a misassembled helmet, and the other had two left feet.

NECA eventually got around to sending me replacement parts. A pain in the rear, though. Had to wait a few months.

Hopefully, the QC on the '18s is better.

As far as this thread, yeah, emotions have spilled out a bit, but things will settle down, and these arguments aren't even the worst I've seen lately on toy boards. It's all good.

The need to be "right" is strong in some people, even though nobody wins an Internet argument. I've learned to just let people have the last word. Otherwise, I look to be a bigger idiot than I already am for engaging in the first place.
Just curious what NECA did to make it right with your Shredder, did you get a new head and a whole new figure for the Shredder with two left feet?

I got 3 new turtle heads which were better, and I had a foot soldier with a wonky head and they sent me a whole new figure. I hope QC is much improved this time around as well.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #816
predaking000
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
Just curious what NECA did to make it right with your Shredder, did you get a new head and a whole new figure for the Shredder with two left feet?

I got 3 new turtle heads which were better, and I had a foot soldier with a wonky head and they sent me a whole new figure. I hope QC is much improved this time around as well.
Yeah, they sent a whole new Shreddder figure, so I popped off the head to replace the head on one figure and used the rest of the body for the figure with two left feet.
predaking000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #817
leolao
Random Punk

The cancelled orders will be back in stock at the website or not?
leolao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #818
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolao View Post
The cancelled orders will be back in stock at the website or not?
One would assume no since they only had the sale for 3 days. Stock will likely just be available now at SDCC.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #819
rh608
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Your self-righteous attitude is about as annoying as those who blatantly flaunted the rules. And I just want to be clear--my order is safe and so I'm not here to grind an axe.

Here's the problem. Their blog, which directed people to their dedicated website, had a complete list of pre-order FAQs. It didn't say, "For full rules, see our Facebook/Twitter/Instagram." So, for someone who looked only at their website, which is completely rational, there was no way of knowing that the diorama set and the regular set were considered one in the same. It's not an issue of laziness or "lack of drive" or an inability to read. Those are inflammatory and antagonistic characterizations, and you're ascribing them to honest people who made a good faith effort to follow the rules.

Your analogy about pissing in public doesn't even begin to apply. But try this: let's say you make a right turn on red and receive a ticket. You're confused because you don't see a sign saying that there's no right turn on red. The officer, however, says that he gave you the ticket anyway because a similar sign is posted in a different part of town. You'd be right to be confused, and if you challenged the ticket in court you'd probably win your appeal.

NECA's intent to crack down on scalpers is laudable, but to punish people who followed the very rules posted on their website is poor form, and it's their fault for publishing conflicting or ambiguous rules. I have no sympathy for people who tried making different accounts, or who openly exceeded the two per item limit. I do, however, feel bad for people who checked the official pre-order FAQs on NECA's website and are being punished for having done so.

Hahaha!! I'm laughing at you. I couldn't even get past the first sentence. And no need for me to. Whatever man! Enjoy life. This is absolutely NOT that serious. Not at all. Next . . .
rh608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #820
rh608
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking000 View Post
The confusion was that NECA was selling two sets (regular and diorama) and the wording on the site, IIRC, stated two items per household. Some people interpreted the two sets to be two separate items. Hence, the cancellations.

As I stated above, I have no skin in the game, but just from the way the policy was worded on the site (barring the other media), I could see how it could be confusing. Also, as I mentioned above, I also agree that ordering more than two sets total is too much.

As far as "harsh"...Hey, I'm not gobbling up that many sets, but I could see how it would suck for someone who bought three to have a whole order cancelled, even though I totally agree with NECA. Being able to see things from multiple points of view and to empathize is a benefit towards functioning as a human being, not a limitation.

No need to get so wound up and emotional...conversation here had been pretty calm/civil, and will hopefully continue that way.

It's all good bud. I think we are kind of on the same page. You don't have my full comment quoted so I'm taking it that you and a few others may have missed the bottom part of my comment where I made it clear that comment shouldn't be taken as law or that serious. I was annoyed at all the fluff and folly I was reading everywhere that day and decided to voice my opinion for once. But there's no love or sleep lost here. I mean truly these are just toys. Not a super big deal for me. All is most certainly well.
rh608 is offline   Reply With Quote