The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #41
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's an aimless joke. "That's the pot calling the kettle black". Means he's a hypocrite.
I know what it means, dude. I was goofing with you.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #42
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
PING! There ya go.
HOLEY CRAP!! If Bob Burden allows FC to show up on TMNT and can somehow wrangle a mass-marketed action figure out of the deal.... He will have my undying love and respect, as much as any man can love and/or respect another man who writes and draws the adventures of a mentally retarded challenged man in a carrot mask and flippers.
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #43
Ciro
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

don't jump to conclusions. I can't deny or confirm anything, but things are always changing.
Ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciro View Post
don't jump to conclusions. I can't deny or confirm anything, but things are always changing.
Very cool. It'd be nice to see if some sort of agreement can come with Stan about Usagi for Seasons 2 or 3.

Also it'd be nice to see Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang (as in the character himself) all show up in Season 2...but that's for another topic.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #45
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I always liked Pinky McFingers. If he doesn't appear in season 2, then you guys are crazy, Ciro.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #46
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

You know, I'd be fine with Usagi not appearing. We've gotten a lot of good Usagi / Turtles stories already. No adaptation has been able to portray Usagi without compromise (although Usagi is a character who lends himself easily to lighter and softer takes) and here there's the issue that unless he's dramatically changed, this series more stereotypically teenage-like turtles wouldn't be Usagi's peers, which is kind of an essential part of the dynamic. The creative team of the cartoon has made it sort of a mission statement to not retread past elements nilly-willy. Is there any reason to have him show up other than "he's showed up before"?

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #47
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
Is there any reason to have him show up other than "he's showed up before"?
Because he's a fan-favorite guest character. Doy.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
You know, I'd be fine with Usagi not appearing. We've gotten a lot of good Usagi / Turtles stories already. No adaptation has been able to portray Usagi without compromise (although Usagi is a character who lends himself easily to lighter and softer takes) and here there's the issue that unless he's dramatically changed, this series more stereotypically teenage-like turtles wouldn't be Usagi's peers, which is kind of an essential part of the dynamic. The creative team of the cartoon has made it sort of a mission statement to not retread past elements nilly-willy. Is there any reason to have him show up other than "he's showed up before"?
Usagi can be shown more stoic.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #49
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

having Usagi guest appear is almost tradition
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #50
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, Ciro. I could go either way with this, but in the end, it's Stan's decision whether he wants Usagi in the series or not.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #51
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Was this in reference to Usagi Yojimbo or The Flaming Carrot? O_o

Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #52
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP, gobo View Post
Oh, that. Yeah, I never put much stock in the belief that liking a character was an automatic argument for their inclusion in a work. To me, that's a few precious steps away from the sort of thinking that decides that putting Wolverine in every book or making new Watchmen stories are good ideas.

More important, to me, is the question: would it work in this particular show's particular context. And I don't know the answer to that question, because there hasn't been enough show to make a conclusion.

Does anybody remember Usagi's appearances in the original toon? I don't, and my first reaction is to be skeptical of claims that it worked, given what the old toon was and what Usagi is; sure, Usagi can work in fundamentally comedic stories, but it's a different type of comedy. It's also worth noting that the two Sakai Usagi/TMNT crossovers that are comedic in tone are also short gag strips of the sort that don't lend themselves to twenty-two minute episodes.

Meanwhile, the 4Kids Usagi appearances worked because there was a context set up that allowed them to use Usagi in a way that hadn't been done before and helped develop the turtles' universe by showing in what ways the Battle Nexus was an interdimensional thing.

Will this cartoon allow for that? I'm not sure. There's not a lot that has been developed so far, and their world is not yet a world that supports the sort of interdimensional travel that the crossover would require. Plus, given the fact that the creators apparently felt that the turtles being friends with a twenty-something April didn't work, I'm not exactly confident about their ability to develop a friendship between the turtles and somebody who's even older.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #53
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

We are getting a lot of new characters, let look at the glass being half full, not empty!

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #54
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP, gobo View Post

also it's the closest thing Usagi fans will probably ever see to the rabbit having his own show (I want to see animated Jei)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #55
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Oh, that. Yeah, I never put much stock in the belief that liking a character was an automatic argument for their inclusion in a work. To me, that's a few precious steps away from the sort of thinking that decides that putting Wolverine in every book or making new Watchmen stories are good ideas.

More important, to me, is the question: would it work in this particular show's particular context. And I don't know the answer to that question, because there hasn't been enough show to make a conclusion.

Does anybody remember Usagi's appearances in the original toon? I don't, and my first reaction is to be skeptical of claims that it worked, given what the old toon was and what Usagi is; sure, Usagi can work in fundamentally comedic stories, but it's a different type of comedy. It's also worth noting that the two Sakai Usagi/TMNT crossovers that are comedic in tone are also short gag strips of the sort that don't lend themselves to twenty-two minute episodes.

Meanwhile, the 4Kids Usagi appearances worked because there was a context set up that allowed them to use Usagi in a way that hadn't been done before and helped develop the turtles' universe by showing in what ways the Battle Nexus was an interdimensional thing.

Will this cartoon allow for that? I'm not sure. There's not a lot that has been developed so far, and their world is not yet a world that supports the sort of interdimensional travel that the crossover would require. Plus, given the fact that the creators apparently felt that the turtles being friends with a twenty-something April didn't work, I'm not exactly confident about their ability to develop a friendship between the turtles and somebody who's even older.
I am afraid, I have to disagree with you here in one point..this turtles show uses april as a much younger female character because it shall attract little girls to the series and they felt storywise it would be of benefit if they all shared about the same age as having to cross certain barriers of growing up I guess(although that a mutant would have a whole different set of worries one might think of problems with pimples for instance)and share similar expperiences in this world(again, to a degree perhaps only)...

the thing that is didn't work out if april was a grown up and was seen as a kind of weird concept came from various fans talking about this online to my knowledge...apropos:I have never seen a problem there, from way back then I have never felt there was any kind of unpleasant weirdness in that..don't know where that stemms from?...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #56
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
I was just watching those episodes last night on my DVD player, and the more I thought about it the more I realized just why Usagi was only in two episodes. Stan probably didn't approve of his character's depiction by Fred Wolf Films, so he must've forbid them to ever use Usagi again.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #57
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I always liked Pinky McFingers. If he doesn't appear in season 2, then you guys are crazy, Ciro.
Of all the mob boss including the namless one in the 2003 cartoon only Big Louie appealed to me. The parody of the Prohibiton area Italian Mob Boss who had a vendetta against Leave It To Beaver. He can be somewhat serious opposed to the other mob characters.

As for the Hokum Hare mention. I thought about it before but did not post it. He was a decent character,but he is not Usagi. I do think Usagi would fit in Year 3 of IDW quite nicely. Anyone want to start an ipetetiton to get him in? Just an idea!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #58
gobo
Wacky Action

Hokum Hare was an insult to the memory of OT Usagi. I hated the character for that and several other reasons.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #59
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I am afraid, I have to disagree with you here in one point..this turtles show uses april as a much younger female character because it shall attract little girls to the series and they felt storywise it would be of benefit if they all shared about the same age as having to cross certain barriers of growing up I guess(although that a mutant would have a whole different set of worries one might think of problems with pimples for instance)and share similar expperiences in this world(again, to a degree perhaps only)...

the thing that is didn't work out if april was a grown up and was seen as a kind of weird concept came from various fans talking about this online to my knowledge...apropos:I have never seen a problem there, from way back then I have never felt there was any kind of unpleasant weirdness in that..don't know where that stemms from?...
Oh--I'd never thought of that. I'm assuming that the creators are on the record as to this being the reason for the change? If so, it makes a bit more sense, even if I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #60
rattrap109
Random Punk

not cool they should put him in he would be kick but in this series
rattrap109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2k12, nick