The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #21
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
There's good cops and bad cops. Stop dressing and acting like a hoodlum if you don't want to get shot. This stuff only happens in ghetto areas and most of the time the victims provoke the officers.
I agree there are good and bad cops, but this stuff does not simply happen in the ghetto, it happens everywhere.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #22
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I agree there are good and bad cops, but this stuff does not simply happen in the ghetto, it happens everywhere.
Oh yeah? This happens to white folks? Show me the reports.
Commenter 42 is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,481
I bet Henry Louis Gates Jr was dressed like a hoodlum when he was arrested for entering his own house.

Guess the guy was lucky he wasn't riddled with bullets for having a house.
Candy Kappa is online now  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Oh yeah? This happens to white folks? Show me the reports.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ut-minority-d/

You just don't hear about the white people that get shot. Not saying it happens that often outside of the hood tho.
snake is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
As I said before the cop in involved in the Minnesota shooting WAS NOT PROPERLY TRAINED it is very evident.
Here is a good article from the post that breaks down the FBI Supplementary report. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/up...says.html?_r=0
The study discussed in the podcast that I linked to, and that you approved of, showed findings that level of training gave most police a higher reliability of threat assessment rating, the exception being those people who work closely in and around the gang units.

Those people are still just as trained as their brothers and sisters in blue, but are apparently more susceptible to reacting on their own inherent biases when placed in a position to make a snap judgement.

Or to paraphrase: They're more likely to shoot first.
Just like this guy.

So the matter might not be an issue of him being poorly trained, but with the training itself.

Quote:
Also PlastronCafe you can say people understand, but they don't and trust me its not like fire fighters. Fire Fighters don't have to guess if a fire is friendly or not. A Fire Fighter does not respond multiple fires a night. Fire Fighters know there enemy and don't have to make judgement calls like police officers do.
Do you know any firefighters, because it sounds to me like you don't.

Quote:
You say "people understand that police put their lives on the line" But frankly most people don't. Most people have never had to fight for their lives, most people don't know what its like to fight for a gun with a man who is bigger and stronger than you, but unless you have felt that adrenaline rush....that fight or flight instinct, you have never had stare death in the face.
Now imagine you had to go through all of that, and you aren't getting paid for it. Imagine it's not something you volunteered for.

I have a link regarding "Who Gets Killed More By Police:"
When Force is Hardest to Justify, Victims of Police Violence Are Most Likely to be Black
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 07-07-2016 at 04:06 PM.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,019
You know I'm surprised someone doesn't take this anti-cop sentiment too far. One day one crazy guy is going to go shoot up a police station as "retaliation" and then the crap will really hit the fan.

I can't imagine the backlash that would happen if cops get shot by a bunch of random guys, and then see how the cops respond to that in all future cases.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #27
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
They all wanna be like Captain America, so they kill every random plot-armorless being that touches their weapons
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #28
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist
 
Cryomancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,035
My main question with this stuff is what happened to less lethal options? Where did all the tazers and rubber bullets go? Pepper spray?
__________________

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #29
The Deadman
Mad Scientist
 
The Deadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
My main question with this stuff is what happened to less lethal options? Where did all the tazers and rubber bullets go? Pepper spray?
They still do use pepper spray and tazers, but even then people have been known to complain about those methods as well.
__________________

Last Movie Watched: Jurassic World (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Fire Pro Wrestling World (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,019
Police should all have long ranged taser guns or something. There's no reason for cops to have lethal ammo.

If you're on a swat team and you're purposely infiltrating some criminal base with hostages that's a different story.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #31
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Stop dressing and acting like a hoodlum if you don't want to get shot. This stuff only happens in ghetto areas and most of the time the victims provoke the officers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Away with your logic i say!
That is a very bigoted justification for this very serious issue.

In fact, police brutality of any kind is unjustified. These officers should be arrested immediately.
Papenbrook is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #32
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
In fact, police brutality of any kind is unjustified.
"Of any kind"? What about when it's necessary, in a legitimate emergency?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #33
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
"Of any kind"? What about when it's necessary, in a legitimate emergency?
When is police brutality ever "necessary"? Do you even know what "police brutality" means?

Quote:
Police brutality is the use of excessive and/or unnecessary force by police when dealing with civilians.
http://www.Google.com/url?q=http://t...HWAq6U1MZpGfEw

Even if police officers would have to use excessive force in case there is a "legitimate emergency", it would still be unjustified.
Papenbrook is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #34
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The study discussed in the podcast that I linked to, and that you approved of, showed findings that level of training gave most police a higher reliability of threat assessment rating, the exception being those people who work closely in and around the gang units.

Those people are still just as trained as their brothers and sisters in blue, but are apparently more susceptible to reacting on their own inherent biases when placed in a position to make a snap judgement.

Or to paraphrase: They're more likely to shoot first.
Just like this guy.

So the matter might not be an issue of him being poorly trained, but with the training itself.



Do you know any firefighters, because it sounds to me like you don't.



Now imagine you had to go through all of that, and you aren't getting paid for it. Imagine it's not something you volunteered for.

I have a link regarding "Who Gets Killed More By Police:"
When Force is Hardest to Justify, Victims of Police Violence Are Most Likely to be Black

Plastron this is actually what happened to me. I was a victim at one point and was literally put in a life or death situation literally
Spoiler:
Bleeding out.

This is the very reason why I chose this career.
As far as fire fighter go I actually do know one or two. I have nothing but respect for them and they actually saved my life. But the fact is is that they don't have to determine whether or not that "Fire" is going to pull a gun on them. They don't have to determine if the "Fire" is good or bad, its just bad.

The podcast you mention with the gang unit is very interesting, but I don't know if it would be the training or the fact a person just develops a bias due to dealing with gangs or it could be the training.

My point with the Minnesota Officers is that he escalated the situation instead of deescalating the situation and thats why I think that their should be a national reform when it comes to police training and I think there should be mandatory reporting on all police involved shooting instead of voluntary reporting.

Also just a reminder everyone lets try to keep this as civil as possible, feel free to share opinions, but be careful what you post. People may read your post differently then what you intended to write.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594

Last edited by Redeemer; 07-07-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Redeemer is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #35
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,959
I read that he was tasered before he was shot. And tasers can be leathal.

This has been a rough day. I broke down listening to her call out in the video.
We need to change. This isn't the America we were supposed to grow into.

Then big things happen, that cut us all, makes us sick, and we shrug our shoulders, because the news cycle is maybe 24hours...

And yeah, of the 3500 "friends" on FB, it's hit my feed once.

We forget too easily. Just a sad couple of days...
Commenter 42 is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #36
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
I read that he was tasered before he was shot. And tasers can be leathal.

This has been a rough day. I broke down listening to her call out in the video.
We need to change. This isn't the America we were supposed to grow into.

Then big things happen, that cut us all, makes us sick, and we shrug our shoulders, because the news cycle is maybe 24hours...

And yeah, of the 3500 "friends" on FB, it's hit my feed once.

We forget too easily. Just a sad couple of days...
Tasers are actually considered non-leathal. Tasers have saved many lives, bc instead of an officer having to use a gun or pepper spray they can use a stun gun. Pepper spray actually kills more people due to food allergies. Tasers can kill people that have heart conditions, thats the only major down side.
This is what sucks about the Sterling incident, bc the Stun-Gun failed for some reason. The stun-gun should have subdued the subject.....

I agree with you that something needs to be done, but nothing probably will get done.........
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #37
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
We need to change. This isn't the America we were supposed to grow into.
The United States was, still is, and always will be, a bigoted country.

We were never supposed to grow into it.
Papenbrook is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #38
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
That is a very bigoted justification for this very serious issue.

In fact, police brutality of any kind is unjustified. These officers should be arrested immediately.
It's the truth you don't want to hear. Sorry, not everyone is a DIDDIN DO NUFFIN.
snake is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #39
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 2,243
Can we talk about the cops and civilians shot at the Dallas protests here or should that be a new topic?

http://www.fox4news.com/news/171359952-story
Spike Spiegel is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #40
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It's the truth you don't want to hear. Sorry, not everyone is a DIDDIN DO NUFFIN.
So, on top of mocking African American Vernacular English, you admit to an intolerant human being?

Well done, Snake. Well done.

By the way, the two victims (Alton Sterling and Philando Castile) weren't "acting and dressing like hoodlums". The former was selling CDs in front of a supermarket, while the latter was reaching for his driver's license while he was in his own car.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 07-07-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Papenbrook is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cybercubed is justice, cybercubed the policeman

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.