The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

When did you stop believing in Santa Claus?

I'm sure most of us believed in Santa when we were little. Or at least were told by our parents he existed.

When did you stop believing in him and how did you find out?

I believed in Santa Claus until... 3rd or 4th grade. Don't remember which. How did I find out? Well, it wasn't an overnight thing. I had already seen warning signs that he wasn't real. A few kids in my class told me he wasn't real, and I also read some Calvin and Hobbes strips which pretty much implied he wasn't real. So I was already doing the math by then. I asked my mother a couple of yikes and she sorta avoided the subject, which made me suspicious. Eventually she told me Santa wasn't real. And I accepted it naturally since I was already becoming sceptical.

It was fun believing in Santa, though. I don't think it's a malicious lie for parents to tell their kids. Same goes for the tooth fairy.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I never believed in Santa, I'm surprised anyone would even if they are kids. Although my family does not celebrate Christmas so that might have something to do with it.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Not sure, it was always pretty obvious that Santa was a character played by someone's dad at Christmas parties, though the more abstract concept of a Santa Claus was still fun to believe in. Like clearly there was never a literal Santa, but the concept of Santa as like a personification of the holiday spirit is fun because the holiday spirit obviously real. Am I making any sense?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I never believed in Santa, I'm surprised anyone would even if they are kids. Although my family does not celebrate Christmas so that might have something to do with it.
Well, you are Muslim. So that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not sure, it was always pretty obvious that Santa was a character played by someone's dad at Christmas parties, though the more abstract concept of a Santa Claus was still fun to believe in. Like clearly there was never a literal Santa, but the concept of Santa as like a personification of the holiday spirit is fun because the holiday spirit obviously real. Am I making any sense?
I was never in that kind of situation. The only time I met someone dressed as Santa was this one time I went to talk to Santa at a shopping mall when I was a kid. I waited in line, entered a huge Christmas tree, sat on his lap and took a photo with him. I was... 7 years old maybe? Pretty sure I believed that was actually Santa and not some guy getting paid to dress up as him.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I forgot but I know it took me a while, mostly because I wanted to hang on to at least something magical. Like I already knew there were no such things as superheroes, some sort of magic rabbit that delivers eggs, tooth fairies and whatever else, I wanted at least Santa Clause to be real.

IDK, I had my own logic to it. First of all, we were broke middle class, and Santa always brought us enough stuff to cover the dinner table with gifts. Like no way 'mom and dad' could have ever afford all that. Plus we never found hidden gifts stashed away somewhere. Then there was the one night I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a few gifts, went to the bathroom, and then was shocked to see the gifts double in amount afterwards. And lastly the whole thing about how a guy, as in an actual human in a suit could fit through chimneys and make the trip all over the world in day..... well even as a kid I didn't think Santa was a flesh and blood person, or at least not anymore. Dude's been around for who-knows-how-many-years, I just assumed it was his spirit, and well, if anything can make that night work somehow, it sounds more logical that a spirit can do it than an actual guy.

But yeah, the kids at school would say he wasn't real and all that, but what really got me was one time we were invited to a Christmas party at one of my stepbros. I was very confused cause they already had the gifts under the tree and my stepbro played Santa handing out all the gifts the night before. Like for us, the gifts would appear under the tree or table the next day, they wouldn't be there beforehand. So some part of me was like 'so.... are they NOT getting gifts from Santa tomorrow morning? Like... is he gonna skip this house cause their folks already got it covered?" cause something still told me that was it for my nephews and nieces, like I had a feeling Santa wasn't gonna come overnight with a whole new batch on top of the loot they already got at the party.

So when our folks finally told us, it hit me hard, like I said, in this boring ordinary world I wanted at least ONE magical thing to be real. Turns out that yes, while we were poor and they couldn't afford a big spend-a-thon before Christmas, they'd slow buy us toys little by little based on whatever they knew we wanted that year, and they were hidden in the attic, where we were too young to access.

Finally I asked about the one night the gifts magically doubled. They said they were hoping I'd be in the bathroom long enough for them to finish up and sneak off to bed but I got out too soon. They hid in the corner and I guess I missed em cause I was half asleep. They told me they were praying and begging for me to not look in their general direction or the gig woulda been up a few years sooner, lmao.

With the cat out of the bag, they wanted to give us our gifts then and there. I asked them if for old time's sake, even though I knew it was them, if they could just put em on the table for us to open the next morning. That was the last ever Christmas morning I had where we did that. Any other time after that we just exchanged gifts the night before.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 12-25-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No idea, it was so long ago at this point. I don't recall ever being told or even asking about it. I think it was gradual, at the point when a kid develops enough reasoning skills to begin to realize that it doesn't add up and magical things become hard to just accept.

My best guess... maybe 8 or 9.

I think I was 7 when I got my bike and I still believed it then. Enough that I peeked in the middle of the night, saw my bike, and could not stand it, I had to go and wake my parents up and let them know about it. (And totally squeal on myself that I was out of bed and peeking when I wasn't supposed to be. lol)

Think my sister was around 5 at most when my mom told me not to tell her and not spoil it for her and I'd have been 10 at that time.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Y'know, the funny thing is MAYBE when I was a real little kid I thought the mall Santa or whatever was the real deal, but like I said I just thought it was his spirit doing things. I never believed the mall Santa was the real one because I knew every mall had one. And I never believed in the elves, the reindeer and Frosty and Rudolph and all that other jazz. For me it made no sense his workshop would be in the North Pole and noone discovered it even back in the 80's/90s.

I was a weird kid. I was logical on some things but still extremely naive and innocent about other things.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Wait, you mean people actually stop believing??

Jk, my dad blew it the day he slipped up and complained that I didn't ride the bike "we got you" anymore. Except it was from Santa. I called him on it, and that was the end.

Buuuut..... I still believe in the magick of Yule/Christmas. There IS something special about this time of year, and it's certainly a time of miracles, lol!!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #9
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

I don't remember how old I was. I do remember that I had to go to our storage area to find something and found a bunch of toys. I didn't pay much attention to it, and when Christmas came around Santa brought me those toys! I did make the decision not to tell my parents about the realization because they also told me that if I didn't believe in santa then I wouldn't get presents from him so why would I fix something not broken?.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Wait, you mean people actually stop believing??

I can totally still hear the bell.

Well... it was made by Hallmark, but maybe that counts?

edit: Now I have that "Believe" song in my head...
Old 12-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Lol I JUST watched that movie for the FIRST TIME today!

Old 12-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Love that one.

Characters are slightly uncanny valley imo... but tolerable.

I actually wish they'd make a sequel, having the main boy and the girl cross paths again as adults, track down the third kid (Billy, from literally the other side of the tracks), and realize it wasn't all just a dream.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Well, he DID still hear the bell even after he grew up and got old at the end. But maybe a sequel with his kids?

Old 12-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

True, he does. Some adventure along with their kids (or grandkids?) would be cute.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #15
sdp
-

It was a gradual process but I found my christmas presents in like 8 or so but I still wanted to believe so badly I came up with theories like maybe santa since he's so busy leaves presents before the day so it's quicker. I had my suspicions but I still wasn't sure that he wasn't real for the following year. But yeah by the following year I didn't need more evidence I guess since I was older the concept of Santa seemed impossible to be true.

I still kept it to my self as long as I could so I could get presents and never spoiled the fun to other kids at school who still believed. It doesn't help that all these xmas movies for kids have the basic concept of Santa not being real, every time I saw a movie like the santa clause or whatever where they explicitly say santa isn't real and play it straight but then have a crazy obviously not real adventure to explain santa is indeed real just hammers in the fact that Santa isn't real. I mean why do they do that, why give logical explanations as to why santa isn't real and then show an obviously made up crazy fantastic story no kid actually believes is real to prove santa is real?

When did you stop believing in Jesus Christ? For me it was around 13-14. Of course as kid you believe what adults tell you and if you see adults worshiping and going to church you better believe you're going to behave and not risk going to ****ing hell. But at around 13 or so it just started to make no sense for such a god to exist and by 14 it was like yeah, that ain't real, it's just a santa claus for adults who can't cope with dying, morality or dealing with life's tough punches.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It was a gradual process but I found my christmas presents in like 8 or so but I still wanted to believe so badly I came up with theories like maybe santa since he's so busy leaves presents before the day so it's quicker. I had my suspicions but I still wasn't sure that he wasn't real for the following year. But yeah by the following year I didn't need more evidence I guess since I was older the concept of Santa seemed impossible to be true.

I still kept it to my self as long as I could so I could get presents and never spoiled the fun to other kids at school who still believed. It doesn't help that all these xmas movies for kids have the basic concept of Santa not being real, every time I saw a movie like the santa clause or whatever where they explicitly say santa isn't real and play it straight but then have a crazy obviously not real adventure to explain santa is indeed real just hammers in the fact that Santa isn't real. I mean why do they do that, why give logical explanations as to why santa isn't real and then show an obviously made up crazy fantastic story no kid actually believes is real to prove santa is real?

When did you stop believing in Jesus Christ? For me it was around 13-14. Of course as kid you believe what adults tell you and if you see adults worshiping and going to church you better believe you're going to behave and not risk going to ****ing hell. But at around 13 or so it just started to make no sense for such a god to exist and by 14 it was like yeah, that ain't real, it's just a santa claus for adults who can't cope with dying, morality or dealing with life's tough punches.
I've never believed in Jesus. My parents aren't religious.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:02 PM   #17
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Eh, that's a tough question for me to answer because I don't remember how old I was, only that it was my dad that told me.

However many the stories about St. Nicholas, I feel that people can still believe in the aspects of those stories and in the Christmas gift-giving tradition if they choose to do so.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:23 AM   #18
Sumac
Banned

Though, we don't Santa Claus in Russia, we have Grandpa Winter (who is outright based on a pagan deity, rather than a Christian saint merged with a pagan deity) and I must say I never believed in his existence or that he gives presents.

Well, maybe I did when I was 5-6 year old, but I always knew that it were my parents putting presents under the tree, so even if Grandpa Winter delivered them, they still were the ones that gave them to me.

And our family had fallen on a hard times, when it comes to money, it became obvious there is no Grandpa Winter, lol.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #19
sdp
-

I love the idea of grandpa winter, I actually was researching santa claus this year and it's this huge amalgamation of a bunch of characters from pretty much every culture but they everyone has a very similar santa like creature that gives gifts. I read that russian santa gave presents after the 25th because he was busy on that day in other parts of the world lmao. the santa lore is deeper than christianity, roman and other mythologies. DC and Marvel weep.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I read that russian santa gave presents after the 25th because he was busy on that day in other parts of the world lmao.
In Russia Grandpa / Father Winter had appeared as we know him now only during Soviet times, in 1930s. At that time he obviously was divorced from Christian saint, since USSR was an anti-religious country and he was mostly based on a personification of winter, which was "reimagined" at the second half of 19th century. Surprisingly, even than, he had little to do with Santa Claus and was mostly based on a Pagan deity / pre-Christian character.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote