The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #1061
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I just finished The Power of Six and have started The Rise of Nine, both in the I Am Number Four series. I like these two books better than the first one. Lots of action, pretty cool!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #1062
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
Glad you like that one. I bought it last summer and devouret in around 2 days or so. Have you read Doctor Sleep?
Sure have read Doctor Sleep! It was amazing, as was Joyland. To be fair, there's not much Stephen King I don't like...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #1063
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Reading Street Fighter comics.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #1064
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I'm reading the screenplay/novel of Stephen Kings Storm of The Century by my lonesome as well as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed with my better half.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #1065
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Finished Storm of The Century and not really sure what to start next. I'm thinking about starting the 10th book in the New Jedi Order series: Dark Journey. Although I'm in more of a horror novel mood so may read another one by King. Probably The Green Mile or his Different Seasons anthology. Danse Macabre is also something I've been considering. It's one of my favorite nonfiction books along with On Writing. My bh and I have actually been watching quite a bit more TV together than reading. Gotta get back into that.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 AM   #1066
discordiatookie
facehugger

Was Storm of the Century screenplay actually released or did you find it online? Always wanted to read it, l remember getting it out on video when it was released and loved it...

Got in the mood for some Stephen King short stories, and I just completed reading the Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes (on my phone, it's taken me 2+ years on and off) so I started with The Doctor's Case from Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Pretty good pastiche, but I'm not sure if he got the holmes/Lestrade dynamic quite right...

I then went on to 1408 from Everything's Eventual, an absolute cracker of a haunted house (hotel?) story... I was then in the mood for some Lovecraftian King, and having just recently read N. in both book and comic form, I went online and found The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen (the inspiration for N.
and said by King to be one of the best horror stories ever).. It was good, but I prefer N. So now I'm thinking Jerusalem's Lot and then Crouch End.

I love Different Seasons! Read it a couple of times now, Apt Pupil is just proper dark and sick...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #1067
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Hey DT. Yeah it looks like he released his Storm of The Century screenplay in book form around 1999 or so. I'm a member of this library service for the blind and dyslexic called Bard, and that's where I usually download all my King stuff if they don't have it available for me to purchase on audible.com I bet you could find his screenplay anywhere online. There's a great introduction by him before the actual meat of the book. I love his intros btw. He's always so down to earth.

You mentioned Crouch End and Jerusalem's Lot. I remember reading both of those when I was a kid. Well they were the audio versions but same thing. Anywho, Crouch End was narrated by Tim Curry and my God he scared the crap out of me. John Glover narrates Jerusalem's Lot and he's also got a great horror story narrator's voice. Those are probably my two all time fav short stories, although I loved The Boogeyman. N is also fantastic. He should really do more Lovecraftian stuff. I also keep hoping for more Dark Tower related works some day.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #1068
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I finished "The Power of Six" and "The Rise of Nine" in the I Am Number Four series. Just started "The Fall of Five" in that series, then I'll read all the little novellas in that series. I think there are 6 available on ebook right now?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #1069
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
Hey DT. Yeah it looks like he released his Storm of The Century screenplay in book form around 1999 or so. I'm a member of this library service for the blind and dyslexic called Bard, and that's where I usually download all my King stuff if they don't have it available for me to purchase on audible.com I bet you could find his screenplay anywhere online. There's a great introduction by him before the actual meat of the book. I love his intros btw. He's always so down to earth.

You mentioned Crouch End and Jerusalem's Lot. I remember reading both of those when I was a kid. Well they were the audio versions but same thing. Anywho, Crouch End was narrated by Tim Curry and my God he scared the crap out of me. John Glover narrates Jerusalem's Lot and he's also got a great horror story narrator's voice. Those are probably my two all time fav short stories, although I loved The Boogeyman. N is also fantastic. He should really do more Lovecraftian stuff. I also keep hoping for more Dark Tower related works some day.
Definitely gonna be ordering Storm of the Century when I have a bit of spare cash, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Tim Curry is awesome, he scared the hell out of me as a kid with Pennywise!
I've always felt John Glover would make a decent Randall Flagg..
King's quite big on his audio books, isn't he? I remember reading an interview where it was saying that he used to get his kids to record themselves reading different books that he would then listen to on trips.

I do feel that Lisey's Story has a certain Lovecraftian feel to it also - I think that might be due a reread after these short stories!

I don't think he'll ever be able to leave the Tower alone, I was proper surprised when he announced Wind Through the Keyhole!

It's pretty great to find another Stephen King fan!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #1070
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Stephen King fans

Yeah DT, I agree. Always nice to come across King fans. I actually thought about rereading LS after I finish The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. But then I might read a few short stories first. Wondering if I, or someone at least, should start a Stephen King thread here in the book section.

Glover would make a terrific Flagg. He's got a very warm and inviting voice, but he can also be menacing at the drop of a hat. He does great impersonations, and we all know Flagg likes to disguise his appearance, so that'd be another vocal plus for Glover. Glad King will never be able to let the Tower be. I still think there's more to explore in Midworld as well as the Keystone world etc.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #1071
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Currently reading Star Wars: Maul: Lockdown which was just released today. Also thinking about reading a few short stories by King on the side.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #1072
RaphAndDonnie
Stone Warrior

For my English class we're reading the book "Speak" and it is truly one of the best pieces of literature I've read in a long time. I relate to Melinda's snarky, sarcastic attitude so well. It's interesting (and rather sad ) to see what she's going through. The symbolism is powerful as well. I'm already about 20 pages ahead of everyone else in my class who's reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaucey View Post
I love 2012 Mikey. He is like Joey from friends.
My art is here!: http://suzukipot.deviantart.com/
And my fanfics are here!:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3865667/suzukipot
RaphAndDonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #1073
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Yeah I'm like that too when it comes to assigned reading that I really enjoy.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1074
Icebot
Foot Elite

I'm reading a book called "God Made Easy".
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #1075
renaissance reptile
Mouser

I'm reading Chew by John Layman; it's a comic set in a fictional world where eating chicken is illegal and is probably the most hysterical and inventive comic I've read in years.
renaissance reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #1076
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance reptile View Post
I'm reading Chew by John Layman; it's a comic set in a fictional world where eating chicken is illegal and is probably the most hysterical and inventive comic I've read in years.
Jeez! I don't think I could survive without chicken! No Chick Fil-A would be horrible.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #1077
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree. I love some KFC for sure!

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #1078
Allio
Foot Elite

I just got done reading the final chapter of Rosario+Vampire...over all, I have mixed feelings on it...It is one of those mangas that by the end it changed so much in the atmosphere that it doesn't even feel like the same story from chapter 1
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #1079
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Reading Insomnia by Steve King and currently reading The Force Unleashed with my bh. Wish we were further ahead in the SW novels but we can't sit through the Bard narration of the book, so I started reading it aloud myself because she says the guy reads too slow and she doesn't like the Vader impersonation. lol Don't know if I'm much better but I love narrating books, so I try my best.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #1080
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Flowers for Algernon. Never read it but my sis did and said it was a decent book, so why not.