The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #81
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've been streaming content since 2005 and have never gone back, it took a while before it became standard but now even grandmas are streaming stuff on Netflix, TV as it were is dead, that's why we see all these new streaming services coming late to the party trying to get a piece of the pie. Seriously, I was thinking today about all the time I wasted as a kid watching commercials.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #82
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I've been streaming content since 2005 and have never gone back, it took a while before it became standard but now even grandmas are streaming stuff on Netflix, TV as it were is dead, that's why we see all these new streaming services coming late to the party trying to get a piece of the pie. Seriously, I was thinking today about all the time I wasted as a kid watching commercials.
Not to mention only watching 1 ep a week, etc. Nowadays I prefer to wait for shows or seasons to be "over" and then I binge watching everything all at once. Of course I make exceptions for certain shows like TMNT, etc. where I want to see each ep when it airs, but every other show I now just wait.

Also the 1.5x speed option is amazing. By watching all shows on 1.5x speed, and skipping the opening/ending themes after the first, you can watch through shows in literally half the time. 22 minute episodes become 15 minute episodes. A 1 hour episode becomes a 35 minute episode. I've become a binge watching master by doing this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #83
Cowa
Random Punk

Location: I'm pretty sure I'm living somewhere inside my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You know what's nifty about TV ratings? Anyone can see them.
What's not so nifty about streaming traffic? It's kept closed from the public.

That's why I almost never take "it probably does well on streaming" arguments seriously. If you can't back up an argument properly, it's not worth considering. People are doing the thing with comics, claiming that book selling terrible through Diamond is actually doing great when sold as trades on Amazon, even though we can't actually access Amazon's sales data. It would be great if we could see this data, then we'd actually have something to talk about.
That's true. I don't want to assume things, so lets just say that it could be either succeeding or flip-flopping on streaming. Idk, I think I'm just worried about how it can affect the future of the franchise.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #84
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There's a huge difference with streaming in that it's always there. When eps air on TV they're just there once in that timeslot and not again until reruns. On online streaming the eps are always there and the ad revenue that plays during them constantly generates money. In a way it's much better than television.

TV in general is an outdated concept in that most families don't gather around it anymore the way they used to. And as I said, ratings also only keep track of the "new" airing of each episode, finding ratings for reruns is much harder because well...not many people care about reruns.
This. I may not be in charge of any TV shows, but speaking as a musician, I do make my work available on Spotify, which is essentially the Netflix of music, and lately, it's been slightly more reliable for generating me the income I need than even digital downloads.

As for the original topic, I have no idea what to think about how long ROT will last. The Tumblr-based portion of the fandom, frankly, is going ape with their love for it despite the more mixed feelings elsewhere. On the other hand, I noticed even those particular fans are promoting piracy by illegally uploading recordings of the episodes for everyone to watch, thus negating the streaming revenue argument a bit. Personally, I admit I watched only one episode from Nick's website: the debut, which I honestly feel wasn't a good start to the series: most of the rest are GIF's and over the top analyses on Tumblr. My bias aside but keeping my viewing experience in mind, if most people are doing what I'm doing, then I think it's safe to assume ROT won't last too long.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #85
Cowa
Random Punk

Location: I'm pretty sure I'm living somewhere inside my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
The Tumblr-based portion of the fandom, frankly, is going ape with their love for it despite the more mixed feelings elsewhere. On the other hand, I noticed even those particular fans are promoting piracy by illegally uploading recordings of the episodes for everyone to watch, thus negating the streaming revenue argument a bit. Personally, I admit I watched only one episode from Nick's website: the debut, which I honestly feel wasn't a good start to the series: most of the rest are GIF's and over the top analyses on Tumblr.
Yeah, Tumblr is like a different dimension where everyone is so desperately in love with ROTTMNT, lmfao. XD I'm not judging them, afterall I can be quite over-the-top too, but lately I have been hearing less complainings about ROTTMNT than before. So either people got tired of complaining and now are apathetic about this show or they simply joined the ultra biased fans of Tumblr. xD