The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #221
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's another review on Youtube

Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #222
Warhorse
Emperor

Where the heck is Samxsteal? He should be here salivating over all of the new premiere pics and the good word on twitter.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #223
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

A 50% split among the professional critics is probably what I'd have guessed. The movie's tone is pretty similar to the 1990 live action movie, and that's a film critics either enjoyed or really hated, but that was embraced by TMNT fans, especially the younger audience.

If I'd been 14 when I'd seen this one, I would have loved it, although I'm sure most critics will be comparing this to the other superhero movies we've gotten in the past few years. The Marvel Studios films have raised the bar so high on those that any action movie's going to have a hard time stacking up to them, and superhero movies are now are held to a much higher standard than they were just a few years back. For what it's worth, this is way better than Daredevil, Catwoman, Elektra, Green Lantern, Man of Steel, and probably a dozen other superhero movies from the past decade that I could list, but it falls short of movies like The Winter Soldier (and probably Guardians of the Galaxy, although I haven't seen it yet).

If you go into it with an open mind and expectations of basically seeing an updated version of the 1990 live action movie, you'll probably come out of the theater feeling you got your money's worth. Some of my friends went to the screening last week expecting to really hate the movie, and they came out cheering louder than anybody. If you go in with no expectations like I did, or if you can get yourself into that same mindset you had when you first saw a live action TMNT movie, you'll probably have a fun time.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #224
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

First batch of reviews coming out are mixed

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=105159

Quote:
HIT FIX: "Kids will have a good time."
"The greatest thing this film brings to the table is a kinetic fighting style that makes the Turtles seem like they are actual physical threats to the bad guys. There are three big action scenes where the film kicks into a higher degree of fun that, taken together, add up to just enough of a thrill for me to recommend the film. There's one in particular that is inventive and impressive, and if the whole movie had been able to demonstrate that same level of energy, then I might be more enthusiastic about it." - Drew McWeeny: Hit Fix
Quote:
SLASH FILM: "Disposable Action That Lacks Character and Emotion"
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles succeeds in providing beautiful effects and passable action populated with characters we all know and love. But the plot around them is riddled with holes, there’s not a round character in the entire film, and the result is like watching a fireworks display. It’s an okay way to pass an hour or so, but you’ll forget about it minutes later." - Germain Lussier: SlashFilm
Quote:
IGN: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles isn’t great, nor is it a disaster."
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles isn’t great, nor is it a disaster. There have been better stories made about these characters, including the 1990 feature film, but there also have been plenty of weaker ones. Despite the strange revamp of the Turtles into huge, superpowered behemoths who seem ready to throw down with Colossus or the Thing, the film does a nice job of capturing their brotherly in-fighting, camaraderie and rapport. Much of the movie is just sort of “there” though, except for that notably entertaining snow-based action sequence – which stands out for also having fun taking the Turtles out of their usual city terrain." - Eric Goldman: IGN
Quote:
VARIETY: "Any deeper viewer connection to these Turtles remains firmly at bay."
"Through it all, it's hard to avoid the sense that Bay, Liebesman and company are hitting all the iconic beats of the franchise, but not investing them with the sort of cleverness, gravitas or feeling that would allow this movie (and presumably, the two sequels in store) to coast along on something other than fan loyalty. Part of that is due to the appearance of the Turtles themselves: For all the undeniable sophistication of ILM's motion-capture system -- which required the actors to wear skin-hugging body suits and helmets equipped with tiny high-def cameras -- the push toward a more photorealist design has led to strangely off-putting and unapproachable results. They may look more hulking, more grotesque and certainly more like the products of advanced genetic mutation, but they also lack a certain engaging, intangible quality that Jim Henson's rubbery-looking '90s creations, though of an inferior technological grade, had in abundance. You might as well call it soul, and without it, any deeper viewer connection to these Turtles remains firmly at bay." - Justin Chang: Variety
Quote:
HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: "Fox spends much of the movie acting bewildered as April"
"Liebesman relies on his genre-film resume to keep events moving at a brisk clip and the motion-capture process employed to facilitate live-action integration with cutting-edge VFX looks superior onscreen, sharply and smoothly rendering some thrilling action scenes and delivering impactful 3D character detail. However, the drawn-out two-hour runtime and the nonstop cartoonish violence may deter some would-be fans, or perhaps the adults who pay for their movie tickets." - Justin Lowe: Hollywood Reporter
LincolnHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #225
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
A 50% split among the professional critics is probably what I'd have guessed. The movie's tone is pretty similar to the 1990 live action movie, and that's a film critics either enjoyed or really hated, but that was embraced by TMNT fans, especially the younger audience.

If I'd been 14 when I'd seen this one, I would have loved it, although I'm sure most critics will be comparing this to the other superhero movies we've gotten in the past few years. The Marvel Studios films have raised the bar so high on those that any action movie's going to have a hard time stacking up to them, and superhero movies are now are held to a much higher standard than they were just a few years back. For what it's worth, this is way better than Daredevil, Catwoman, Elektra, Green Lantern, Man of Steel, and probably a dozen other superhero movies from the past decade that I could list, but it falls short of movies like The Winter Soldier (and probably Guardians of the Galaxy, although I haven't seen it yet).

If you go into it with an open mind and expectations of basically seeing an updated version of the 1990 live action movie, you'll probably come out of the theater feeling you got your money's worth. Some of my friends went to the screening last week expecting to really hate the movie, and they came out cheering louder than anybody. If you go in with no expectations like I did, or if you can get yourself into that same mindset you had when you first saw a live action TMNT movie, you'll probably have a fun time.
Yeah, you would have to go into this movie using the 1990 version as a point of reference, You can't compare it to other Superhero flicks out there. Cause there is nothing like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #226
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Im looking forward to this movie, and from the little I've seen so far (tv spots, etc.) Im all but expecting to love it.

Thing is, as you said, the bar has been set high with films like the Winter Soldier, but I certainly dont think its wrong for fans to expect a movie of that caliber. Given the swing in comic book-based films (in terms of quality) over the past several years, its been proven possible that CBMs can work in a major way.

Funnily enough, the 1st Cap America film is widely panned by critics as just okay, but nearly strong enough, and the 2nd film was just amazing. Perhaps this film will follow suit. Turtles-1, getting their feet wet. Turtles-2, dive in head first, and prove its really worth caring about these guys.
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #227
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Random thought, but I like how civil and calm this thread is.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #228
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:

This is a pretty fair response. I feel like I expect and "need" more than this movie is, and a lot of the changes/choices made really rub me the wrong way. But I know that not everybody is going to share my expectations. I feel like a lot of people are going to love and hate this movie for the exact same reasons. And I'm starting to wonder if you even can make a TMNT movie that won't be divisive to a sizeable part of the fanbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
Don't jinx it!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #229
guppy8466
Random Punk

I know it's the wrong thread but no one has posted in awhile on the runtime. Any word on the actual runtime of this flick?
guppy8466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #230
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy8466 View Post
I know it's the wrong thread but no one has posted in awhile on the runtime. Any word on the actual runtime of this flick?
120min...I believe
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #231
Puddinpop
Banned

I particularly enjoyed this little bit

Quote:
The castmembers portraying Splinter and the turtles achieve a persuasive level of realism that was never possible with the elaborate puppetry required for the original film series and adequately fulfill expectations for their characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Just quoting the above to point out that the "leery" side clearly aren't the only ones who've already made up their minds. It goes both ways. Which is fine - let's just not act like one side is "right" while the other's "wrong" for the exact same behaviour.
Wait... Didn't you JUST a few days ago say this
Quote:
I'm almost kinda flattered he's following what I say so closely
??? Aaaaand didn't you.. say this as well?
Quote:
I've had him on my ignore list for a while now, so I'm best just ignoring any future trolling/baiting from that direction.
???
It seems like My thoughts are a little to irresistible for you to miss out on Bry, Im not that interesting dude.. but how many times are you going to self-righteously and arrogantly tell someone that they " aren't worth it " and that you've put them on your holy ignore list until you actually do?
You 2 are always dismissing peoples opinions (your favorite word) when they don't line up with your own. Listen to screamo music? dismissed. Have something positive to say on Twitter? Dismissed. If you're Eastman or Liebesman and wanted to take liberties with this reboot that Bry doesn't agree with? You should admit you were wrong. Dismissed. Went to an advanced screening? Dismissed. An entire group of people that listen to a certain type of music or anyone that goes to an advance screening is pushed aside by you.. but one guy named Bob on Twitter starts trashing TMNT and you love it

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. I saw a bunch of those early "reviews", and they were basically Warped Tour dudes saying "that was SICK/that was DOPE" over and over. And if they enjoyed it, good for them, really. But that says absolutely nothing about whether the movie's actually any good, and I honestly think I don't have much in common with their tastes or expectations anyway.
You should really try practicing what you preach and take care not to fall of that high horse you ride. Like I said before. The only opinions you " respect " are the opinions that line up with your own. You steer clear of me.. and ill steer clear of you. Ill put you on ignore also ok? Fair? I'm tired of hearing the word " opinions " ten million times in every post anyways. I don't need a stupid flame war with you either.

Last edited by Puddinpop; 08-04-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #232
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
spoke too soon
Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #233
guppy8466
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
120min...I believe
Thanx. I hope that's accurate bc I feel anything less would feel like a let down after all this time waiting for this. Still watch the first one and still say to myself at the end, no not yet. Idk, guess I just got accustomed to the minimum 2hour action films of lately
guppy8466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #234
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
spoke too soon
Don't worry.. it will stay calm. That's the last post concerning that issue. From me at least.
Anyways... back to reviewing the film
Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #235
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
spoke too soon
Welp.

I was trying to make a point to appeal to the middle ground -- both "sides" can be equally biased and that's okay -- but I probably picked the wrong post to reply to.

As for this previous comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Yeah, exactly. I saw a bunch of those early "reviews", and they were basically Warped Tour dudes saying "that was SICK/that was DOPE" over and over. And if they enjoyed it, good for them, really. But that says absolutely nothing about whether the movie's actually any good, and I honestly think I don't have much in common with their tastes or expectations anyway.
I actually stand by this, because my point was that none of these impressions really explain why this movie's good or not. The same would apply to "that SUCKED" with nothing else offered by way of justification or explanation. All that does it say if someone happened to like something or not. They're not reviews. That's what I was trying to say.

But I really don't think it's a problem to acknowledge that others will have different tastes and expectations. I don't think that's "elitist" necessarily. I can come on strong with my opinions, but I usually make a point to say I don't expect everyone to agree. It's not "right vs. wrong", it's just... different.

But I'll leave it there. On topic and civil!

Last edited by Bry; 08-04-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #236
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Beyond that, I'm not gonna get baited into an argument. Hey, I'm learning!
That's good Bry.. I'm happy that you feel that way my friend. Keep me on that " ignore " list and try to keep it that way ok bud I'm learning also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Here's another review on Youtube

I've talked to that guy before a few months ago. He's a cool dude. I am actually waiting for Black nerds review..
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #237
Stugehen
Foot Soldier

I can't help but notice an apparent double standard here with review for TMNT vs Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I haven't seen TMNT yet so what I say should be taken in stride. But with GotG it's got such a high RT score with critics embracing its ludicracy and cheesy humor. But of course with the TMNT its too ridiculous to take seriously. Sure there's a fart joke in TMNT and that's stupid, but there were numerous dick jokes in GotG and no one bats an eye.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #238
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugehen View Post
I can't help but notice an apparent double standard here with review for TMNT vs Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I haven't seen TMNT yet so what I say should be taken in stride. But with GotG it's got such a high RT score with critics embracing its ludicracy and cheesy humor. But of course with the TMNT its too ridiculous to take seriously. Sure there's a fart joke in TMNT and that's stupid, but there were numerous dick jokes in GotG and no one bats an eye.
i think part of that comes from the "its a kids movie" stigma....i havent seen turtles yet either but i know a lot of my parent friends are looking forward to seeing GOTG alone..vs being dragged to TMNT with the kids

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle

Last edited by The Boston Ninja Turtle; 08-04-2014 at 01:24 PM.
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #239
MajorViolence
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugehen View Post
None of the dick jokes in GotG were "haha, dicks" though. They had to do mostly with such irreverent language being used in a deadly serious situation. The fart joke was just a fart. Barely even qualified as a joke. I don't think it's a double standard to hate one and not the other.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #240
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Official runtime of the movie is listed at 101 minutes. It's a tight, fast movie.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews