The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #301
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Mondo Gecko wasn't in the 1st episode because Mr. X already took him and left by the time Yoshi came.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #302
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Mondo Gecko wasn't in the 1st episode because Mr. X already took him and left by the time Yoshi came.
Oh? well damn. It's been ages since I've last seen that episode, so I didn't remember that detail.

...but it's obvious back when the first season was being produced Mondo Gecko wasn't even a thought in the minds of the writers. Hell, did he even exist at the time? I don't remember if he's originally an Archie comics character or a FW character. Regardless he only debuted later on in the show.

So yeah, I refuse to accept him being there all along.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:22 AM   #303
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Why do certain individuals call Leonardo "Leonerdo"?

It doesn't make sense, at least to me.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:26 AM   #304
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post

Its an insult of calling him a Nerd, usually by hardcore Raphael fans.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #305
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Mondo Gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Oh? well damn. It's been ages since I've last seen that episode, so I didn't remember that detail.

...but it's obvious back when the first season was being produced Mondo Gecko wasn't even a thought in the minds of the writers. Hell, did he even exist at the time? I don't remember if he's originally an Archie comics character or a FW character. Regardless he only debuted later on in the show.

So yeah, I refuse to accept him being there all along.
Action figure release: 1990 http://www.tmnttoys.com/figures1987.html#1990

Archie debut: Mondo Metal (March 1991) http://miragelicensing.com/comics/archie/18/18.htm

MWS series debut: Michaelangelo Meets Mondo Gecko (original airdate: 14 September 1991) http://www.tv.com/shows/teenage-muta...o-gecko-73521/
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #306
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mondo Gecko weirdly remained a enduring character despite getting barely any screentime in the original show and then in the Archie run after his debut issue he was basically in the background with the Mutanimals besides getting one 3-parter by the end.

I guess because he can easily be used as a friend for Michelangelo is what kept him from fading into obscurity. His entire character is based on the 80's/early 90's skater punk teen.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #307
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mondo Gecko weirdly remained a enduring character despite getting barely any screentime in the original show.
I guess he was intended for the animated Mutanimals series that never happened,
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #308
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mondo Gecko weirdly remained a enduring character despite getting barely any screentime in the original show and then in the Archie run after his debut issue he was basically in the background with the Mutanimals besides getting one 3-parter by the end.

I guess because he can easily be used as a friend for Michelangelo is what kept him from fading into obscurity. His entire character is based on the 80's/early 90's skater punk teen.
Well he looks kinda cool. And as you said, he was a bud for Michelangelo.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #309
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post

Quote:
Its an insult of calling him a Nerd, usually by hardcore Raphael fans.
Yeah... LeoNERDo. See it now? The 2012 seems to have started that one, so blame them. Kind of seems like a natural fit for sibling nonsense however, whether it makes sense to call him that or not.

Now, the random question is... what similar can be done for the other three?

edit: Dorkatello.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-13-2018 at 11:31 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #310
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
What about the turtles landing in ooze, rather than the ooze landing on them? And why didn't Mr X mutate?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #311
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

What do individuals usually mean when they say the Turtles' need to "act like teenagers"?

I mean, they praise the 2k12!TMNT for properly representing adolescence, but ... I don't understand.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #312
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno if the specific behaviors or whatever can be perfectly pinpointed necessarily, but I'll try to sum it up.

I guess, in short, most iterations of TMNT that came before it, the turtles come off like they're in their 20's or early 30's, made worse by the fact they also sound that way. Obviously all the different versions feature similar turtles, who train together, listen to music, watch TV, horse around, but there's something that feels more brotherly/organic/youthful about the way the Nick TMNT go about having fun. Their shorter attention spans, use of hyperbole, insecurities, and a host of other subtle nuances really nail it, for me. & their voice actors delivered on those points.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #313
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I dunno if the specific behaviors or whatever can be perfectly pinpointed necessarily, but I'll try to sum it up.

I guess, in short, most iterations of TMNT that came before it, the turtles come off like they're in their 20's or early 30's, made worse by the fact they also sound that way. Obviously all the different versions feature similar turtles, who train together, listen to music, watch TV, horse around, but there's something that feels more brotherly/organic/youthful about the way the Nick TMNT go about having fun. Their shorter attention spans, use of hyperbole, insecurities, and a host of other subtle nuances really nail it, for me. & their voice actors delivered on those points.
Yeah 2K3 Raph did not sound like a teen , I suppose being giant mutants all rules need not apply but yeah 2012's delivered on the teenage bit, more so as they were starting out. New Raph won't sound teen like either (so I can tell so far) but then I get that, look at the size of him. .. which brings me to...
.... the half human factor which some incarnations have, did it really make any difference to the turtles themselves other than it just is? I'm thinking it didn't, though you could argue it came out a little for example in the 2012's characters (teen boy aspect), plus the coloured eyes but really I'd assumed the characters just varied a little in personality to suit the style and audience.

Last edited by newfan; 05-14-2018 at 05:10 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #314
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I hope one day we'll get a version or two whether it'd be comics/cartoons/movies where they drop the "teenage" from the title so we can get a series where they are adults. Considering Teen Titans were adults in some of their animated films, I'd like to think it isn't too out-of-the-cards.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #315
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I hope one day we'll get a version or two whether it'd be comics/cartoons/movies where they drop the "teenage" from the title so we can get a series where they are adults. Considering Teen Titans were adults in some of their animated films, I'd like to think it isn't too out-of-the-cards.
Yeah that could work, or even if just a short series of specials.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #316
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Me too. I love 2012 and seeing them a bit more teen-like in personality was fun, but I miss my older seeming Turtles.

Another series kind of like 2003 could easily do it and just drop the word from the title and either just never address it or make it clear in the first ep that this is taking place years later than where we usually meet them, thus they're older now.

As far as what people mean by them needing to act like teenagers... Just, the typical teen vibe/behavior/mentality. That may not become more understandable until you're farther away from those years as young 20s isn't all that different yet.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #317
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I lot of the time, they don't even look like teenagers. Don and Mike at least look like they could be older teenagers.

When it comes to making them look like teenagers, they'd probably be looking, acting, and even sounding like the Stranger Things kids, as I've said in another thread somewhere.

It would make a lot of their situations more questionable, but hey...they should be questionable.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #318
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I lot of the time, they don't even look like teenagers. Don and Mike at least look like they could be older teenagers.

When it comes to making them look like teenagers, they'd probably be looking, acting, and even sounding like the Stranger Things kids, as I've said in another thread somewhere.

It would make a lot of their situations more questionable, but hey...they should be questionable.
They're mutant turtles, so how can they look like human teenagers? I guess wearing trenchcoats in the FW series makes them look like middle aged men, if that's what you mean.

In every carton you see them skateboarding or surfing at some point tbh. I wouldn't say the Turtles act like they're 14-15, but 19-20? sure. A lot of people aged 20-22 are still rather immature and haven't fully stopped acting like teenagers.

Also, most humans the Turtles have contact with are adults/people older than them. Meaning they don't really have other or many other teenagers or people around their age to interact with. That and adding life experience and battling to the mix and they're gonna mature faster than your ordinary teenager.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #319
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
They're mutant turtles, so how can they look like human teenagers? I guess wearing trenchcoats in the FW series makes them look like middle aged men, if that's what you mean.

In every carton you see them skateboarding or surfing at some point tbh. I wouldn't say the Turtles act like they're 14-15, but 19-20? sure. A lot of people aged 20-22 are still rather immature and haven't fully stopped acting like teenagers.

Also, most humans the Turtles have contact with are adults/people older than them. Meaning they don't really have other or many other teenagers or people around their age to interact with. That and adding life experience and battling to the mix and they're gonna mature faster than your ordinary teenager.
That and the difference between human and turtle years.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #320
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Though the belief that turtles by nature all have long, long lives seems to be kind of a myth. If they're typically considered to be red eared sliders, then it seems they don't luck out after all and have shorter lifespans than humans. (So maybe them seeming older in their teens actually does make sense. But personally I just prefer to believe the mutation would have gained them a human-like lifespan so they can make it to 80 or so.)