The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #161
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Edge would be great. Don't agree with animated... would rather keep animation to tv and live action to film.

No matter how it's gone about though, good writing will at least be a major factor here, so I hope this new guy can pull it off.

Although I keep trying to tell myself that until we actually have direct quotes from those directly involved we really have no idea even to the extent of which this is a "reboot." Could be anything from a reboot as we think of it in general (probably?), or a reboot of their particular version and just reorganizing (slimmer chance but who knows?). Hope more info comes out soon.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #162
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Most of us are clamoring for a comics-inspired TMNT movie... let's try to take a step back and look at it from the perspectives of a general audience and the filmmakers themselves.

Is nostalgia (i.e. Fred Wolf pizza-loving cartoons) more or less powerful--or financially viable--than the current CBM model typified by Marvel, DC, and Fox/Sony?

Is the idea of a more faithful (i.e. "dark 'n' gritty") TMNT portrayal going to sell tickets and investors? Or do the filmmakers and Viacom opt for toy sales alone?

If parents will take their kids to see Justice League, X-Men Apocalypse, Deadpool, Infinity War... are they more or less likely to take their kids to an older-skewing TMNT movie?

How does the Transformers film series business model compare to the Marvel/DC business model? Favorably or less favorably? And is that financially, box office, toy sales, or just cost of production?

I'd like to think the answers come out in favor of comics-inspired TMNT films. And I think the fact that the more Fred Wolf inspired film (the sequel) did much worse than the initial film (when more people were fooled or fooled themselves) helps support my optimism.
You would have a idea/theory/reason except the past two films were nothing like the FW series. The Turtles were essentially super-powered hulks shrek looking abominations. You had mech shredder. You had no Hamato Yoshi at all. No real Shredder Hamato Yoshi rivalry. The only was the movies were similar to the OT was in tone.

Also If you look at the Batman franchises they showed to was beneficial to go more adult oriented Batman versus slapstick 66' batman. Hollywood forgets that audiences grow up and evolve. What I am saying is that a more sophisticated TMNT should be shown to reflect a more sophisticated audience bc their fans have grown up and evolved. The Batman franchise is an excellent example of this. So is spiderman for that matter.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #163
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Also If you look at the Batman franchises they showed to was beneficial to go more adult oriented Batman versus slapstick 66' batman. Hollywood forgets that audiences grow up and evolve. What I am saying is that a more sophisticated TMNT should be shown to reflect a more sophisticated audience bc their fans have grown up and evolved. The Batman franchise is an excellent example of this. So is spiderman for that matter.
Wrong. There are two Adam West cartoon slapstick films made so far and the audience love it. Not everyone likes adult/serious movies all the time like Batman v Superman or F4ntastic.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #164
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Cartoons are kind of different than live action though, slapstick plays better in that medium than it does in many live action films.

I'm going to drive myself nuts checking back just waiting for more detail... lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-22-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #165
Leolead
Stone Warrior

I'll instantly lose interest if this has anything to do with Rise
Old 06-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #166
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Wrong. There are two Adam West cartoon slapstick films made so far and the audience love it. Not everyone likes adult/serious movies all the time like Batman v Superman or F4ntastic.

Im sorry but you make me laugh saying I am wrong with no actual facts. The fact is the Nolan films which were aimed at a more serious audience were the top grossing batman films all time and on top of that one of them was a top 5 all time grossing film at the time of its release. In fact if you look at Batman and Robin or Batman Forever two films aimed at young audiences were not the most successful films and that putting it kindly. On top of everything else that is a animated film when I was talking about live action theatrical release films.....So before saying I am wrong get some facts please.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #167
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If you're associated with cartoons, you're associated with comics and so films SOMETIMES try harder. But if you're associated more with toys, then you're forever screwed.
In the last 30 years 22 of them have had a TMNT cartoon airing. How the heck is the franchise not associated with cartoons?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:40 AM   #168
Donaterro
Thug

I remember on Lairds blog he was talking about how they were going to reboot the movie series, with bodysuits and facial CGI to augment it. It was to be based on the original dozen or so comics. It sounded great, and then they sold it to Nick and despite getting a good cartoon and new comic series out of it, we also got these Bay Turtles.

I wish we could've seen that original reboot idea instead of what we got.
Donaterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:25 AM   #169
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaterro View Post
I remember on Lairds blog he was talking about how they were going to reboot the movie series, with bodysuits and facial CGI to augment it. It was to be based on the original dozen or so comics. It sounded great, and then they sold it to Nick and despite getting a good cartoon and new comic series out of it, we also got these Bay Turtles.

This sounds like half remembered sort of truths. There was "the Hallmark movie" that had that, but that certainly didn't get very far. And it didn't even seem like that was represented as a reboot, at the time... and fell apart way, waaaay before Laird sold.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #170
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaterro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This sounds like half remembered sort of truths. There was "the Hallmark movie" that had that, but that certainly didn't get very far. And it didn't even seem like that was represented as a reboot, at the time... and fell apart way, waaaay before Laird sold.
Sounds... Interesting? Why were Hallmark interested in making a TMNT movie? Were they like Netflix back in the day?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:43 AM   #171
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He's not talking about that. He's talking about the film that was announced shortly before the sale.
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....all-about.html
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #172
Leolead
Stone Warrior

I don't see the need for suits. I want action like the Raid and IP Man and I think that would be pretty difficult to achieve with hot, sweaty Turtles suits. The 1990 actors were clearly limited by the movement of the suits. Mocap is the future and it's the way to go
Old 06-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #173
cloud
Stone Warrior

It would have been great if they were moving forward to a TMNT3. Curious to see after OOTS what direction they would go. Still Shredder? Or new villains and adventures.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #174
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm hoping being uninvolved in the last two (so he's on the outside looking in like us and I HOPE more open to see what worked and what didn't) and having so few credits to his name will at least give the writer reason to want to come up with something that's actually good, rather than just lazy like the last idiots. Hopefully he'll take a reasonable amount of time to write it. OotS was written so quickly, it's no wonder the overall story sucked. Hopefully this guy can also equally focus on multiple elements, unlike them. (i.e. OotS did so much better on the brothers vs the previous, which I really liked and hoped for, but then the larger story got shorted... Can't win. )

Likewise though there are certain elements of OotS I'd wanted to see where they went. Particularly a secret alliance with that police station would be nice to go further into (and of good benefit to the Turtles if they have friends there), and what ever becomes of frozen Shredder. No doubt they will remain untouched forever though, esp if the next is an entirely unrelated film.

But please let this film be a bit more grown. The kiddies will have 'Rise' which will have been around for a while by that point. Not saying the next film can't be okay for families, as it doesn't have to be rated R to be good for adults, PG 13 can suffice, but at least let adult (and older teen) fans have something in the era of "younger" 'Rise.' Someone has to someday have the guts to stop deciding that they're only "for kids."

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-23-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #175
dragonside
Hench Mutant

i'd like a reboot the focused on the martial arts and their distinctive personalities/styles.

I think PD did a good job of getting their personalities.

However, I would say that everyone in hollywood wants to build a universe/series of movies.

I would just like a real close to mirage adaptation of major storylines. They don't need to build anything other than continuity.

A 4kids style approach would be refreshing. Mirage style stories, with some elements of the FW cartoon.

A story about honor, bushido, the warrior way and maybe ninja magic.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #176
Donaterro
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
He's not talking about that. He's talking about the film that was announced shortly before the sale.
Yeah that's it. It sounded like it could've been something great.

Still love the 1990 movie to death though, and the 2007 CGI one is my 2nd favourite. The fight between Leo and Raph is just too good.
Donaterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #177
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Okay... that hurt.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #178
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I don't see the need for suits

Raid and IpMan had no mocap, all suits
Old 06-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #179
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

This is the first look at new film. Looks like it won’t be CGI after all.

Spoiler:
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #180
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Very too early to be believable, but nonetheless... go to your room!

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence