The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Apple unveiled the 'iPhone X' — here are the best features of the $999 phone

TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Of course it's basically $1000...
Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah a ton of money forsure!

Face ID
Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Eh, not interested. It goes downhill after Steve Jobs died.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Apple: overpriced, under-powered name brand yuppie garbage. Doesn't sound like this thing is breaking the mold.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Wow, it's the same exact thing we've seen before.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Just read the $999 price is for the 64GB version and the 256GB version is $1,149. Animated emojis that you control with your facial expressions just might be worth it. Said no one ever.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Can't find the headphone jack in the iPhone X & iPhone 8. Both still the same useless crap like iPhone 7 then.

It's dumb because many stereo facilities still require the jack and I'm carrying my music in my 6S Plus phone. If I want wireless there's Bluetooth already. Taking away that feature is really stupid. Bye Apple.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

That's a lot of money. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it around in my pocket.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Id buy the iPhone 8 if I hadnt finally upgraded to the 7...but there's no way in hell im paying almost 1200 bucks for a cell phone

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Just read the $999 price is for the 64GB version and the 256GB version is $1,149.
Wtf. This disparity between prices and the average consumer level of "wealth" (or rather lack there of) is getting really old. Just imagine someday when many are $1500 and the phone plans have just continue to rise and gotten to a hundred or two a month, or more.

Sure, I guess they're meant for "rich" people... Sad however that half of them are famous enough they'd just get them for free to help promote it.

I still don't own a smartphone. Never been that impressed with them and the costs, of both the phones and plans, are the primary reason I continue to not give a crap. Had considered using my balance with Virgin Mobile to get one and then just wait a while to activate it, but the ones I was semi-interested in had too many reviews about overheating problems... Meh. Not tempting enough to let go of my old prepaid $20/per 3 months plan. (Switch to a plan that will cost me $90 minimum for those three months, all for a phone that will act up? Right. lol)

Sorry, but the next time I spend a $1000 or more on a piece of electronics it will be whatever desktop I replace my present oldie with. (And probably one of it's descendants, provided they still make 'em like they used to.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-12-2017 at 08:56 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

At what point do we stop calling these devices phones? Can't some computer savvy people with as little as a gmail account make calls from a desktop computer? We don't call those things phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
That's a lot of money. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it around in my pocket.
I am curious what kind of anti-theft steps are in place with these things? People could definitely become targets. As far as damage goes if Insurance is available that just makes it even more of a cost.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Wtf. This disparity between prices and the average consumer level of "wealth" (or rather lack there of) is getting really old. Just imagine someday when many are $1500 and the phone plans have just continue to rise and gotten to a hundred or two a month, or more.

Sure, I guess they're meant for "rich" people... Sad however that half of them are famous enough they'd just get them for free to help promote it.

I still don't own a smartphone. Never been that impressed with them and the costs, of both the phones and plans, are the primary reason I continue to not give a crap. Had considered using my balance with Virgin Mobile to get one and then just wait a while to activate it, but the ones I was semi-interested in had too many reviews about overheating problems... Meh. Not tempting enough to let go of my old prepaid $20/per 3 months plan. (Switch to a plan that will cost me $90 minimum for those three months, all for a phone that will act up? Right. lol)

Sorry, but the next time I spend a $1000 or more on a piece of electronics it will be whatever desktop I replace my present oldie with. (And probably one of it's descendants, provided they still make 'em like they used to.)
I'm often tempted to get a landline and do away with my cell phone. It's often like an anchor. "Oh can't leave the house until I find my phone. What if something happens? What if...?" Nothing ever happens.
I like it back in the day not needing a phone in the vehicle. I swear I'll do it one day. Landline only lifestyle is approaching. I just need a not broken laptop.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I admit the idea of leaving the house without my phone anymore is a little unnerving (to think we once always did that and it was fine!), but it's just a little flip phone I hardly use and is just there for 'just in case.'

Mostly it lives as a pocket watch at work and is a little tank that puts up with it well. Including the three times it's been recently dropped there. Even if I did upgrade and deactivated this one, I'd probably still use it for the time at work rather than risk damaging some fragile smartphone screen.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well regardless of this and the price, in general I've never liked the idea of a cell phone with a fully exposed screen. It just makes it vulnerable to everything. I also don't like that everything is done with touch controls.

I saw blackberry made a new phone with a physical keyboard. Razor made flip smartphone once didn't they? Some probably find it stupid but it's technically better imo even if they look odd.

Smartphones should really go back to having a pop or slide out keyboard/dial pad with some flip mechanism to cover the screen.

I miss when cell phones were small and cute. Like miniature laptops. They could go back to that and still have the same technology as now...which is really just full internet access.

I feel like we've kinda gone backwards with phones. It'd be awesome if folding screens were invented.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #16
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I am curious what kind of anti-theft steps are in place with these things? People could definitely become targets. As far as damage goes if Insurance is available that just makes it even more of a cost.
Yeah, AppleCare+ is $300 in Australia, and there is a excess of $45 for a broken screen and over a hundred for "other hardware". So the 64GB iPhone X is $1579 AUD. That's almost $1900 with AppleCare+.

They make good phones, but they're too easy to break for something that expensive.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Well regardless of this and the price, in general I've never liked the idea of a cell phone with a fully exposed screen. It just makes it vulnerable to everything. I also don't like that everything is done with touch controls.

I saw blackberry made a new phone with a physical keyboard. Razor made flip smartphone once didn't they? Some probably find it stupid but it's technically better imo even if they look odd.

Smartphones should really go back to having a pop or slide out keyboard/dial pad with some flip mechanism to cover the screen.

I miss when cell phones were small and cute. Like miniature laptops. They could go back to that and still have the same technology as now...which is really just full internet access.

I feel like we've kinda gone backwards with phones. It'd be awesome if folding screens were invented.
Folding screens and keyboards?? What year is it??

Ew no. Plus those keyboards made your fingers sore and are annoyingly noisy as heck. You can surestill get them today as ancient relic/novelty items tho.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think I have seen design concepts for folding tablets...which makes it possible to turn it phone-sized.

Suspending my belief about it for now.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #19
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ive seen folding concepts too. Samsung, I think, had a commercial awhile ago that started showing a bending smartphone and for a second I thought it was real...then it revealed the actual phone.

I guess the small physical keyboards could be uncomfortable but they don't have to be that small. Touch pads are pretty small too.

I think this is a much better design for a phone. Just make it a bit bigger and clean it up. I love that it's a basic phone on the outside and the "computer screen" is safely covered with a keyboard that opens for when you want to use the web.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:22 AM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Apple: overpriced, under-powered name brand yuppie garbage. Doesn't sound like this thing is breaking the mold.
Oh, yes, you so edgy, baby!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote