The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #161
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I don’t really put much into join dates even if the users are hyping up whatever it is. I just assume it’s people wanting to get in on the new thing but then don’t care enough to post anymore after the movies pass...or trolls.

Again I very much doubt PD actually pays people to debate with a handful of users that’s probably only like 20-30 people in the entire fan base. Seems like a massive waste of time and money.

Making plant accounts reaches so few fans and accomplishes nothing.

It’s funny picturing a studio meeting with employees and saying something like...ok you guys are in charge of internet comments. Join some fan sites and talk up our movie. If anyone argues with you here’s some examples of comebacks and memes you can use.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #162
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It’s funny picturing a studio meeting with employees and saying something like...ok you guys are in charge of internet comments. Join some fan sites and talk up our movie. If anyone argues with you here’s some examples of comebacks and memes you can use.
It's not that at all, and not direct employees. It's the marketing division of, say, Paramount, using X amount of their huge marketing budget to hire one of of the dozens or hundreds of little pocket "social media adjuster" outfits out of India or China with the manpower, wherewithal and time to do so. Pennies on the dollar to flood FB pages and such with overly positive stuff to drown out (and hopefully change the minds of) the negative posting people.

It happens all the time. Was it Paramount that got caught up about that a couple years ago? One of the big ones did.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-01-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #163
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's not that at all, and not direct employees. It's the marketing division of, say, Paramount, using X amount of their huge marketing budget to hire one of of the dozens or hundreds of little pocket "social media adjuster" outfits out of India or China with the manpower, wherewithal and time to do so. Pennies on the dollar to flood FB pages and such with overly positive stuff to drown out (and hopefully change the minds of) the negative posting people.

It happens all the time. Was it Paramount that got caught up about that a couple years ago? One of the big ones did.
I don’t know I really do not pay attention to this sort of thing.

I know studios have marketing teams but I still have a hard time seeing them join message boards when stuff like viral hype, commercials, promotions and tie ins actually generates views and customers.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #164
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

I know studios have marketing teams but I still have a hard time seeing them join message boards when stuff like viral hype, commercials, promotions and tie ins actually generates views and customers.
Have you ever played an MMORPG? The thousands of Chinese out there just playing, farming gold (or its equivalent) is pretty staggering. To actual companies that then dole it out to guys like you and I. Same deal.

I befriended a few and made it my mission for a while to get "the true story" out of them for a while.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:39 AM   #165
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Have you ever played an MMORPG? The thousands of Chinese out there just playing, farming gold (or its equivalent) is pretty staggering. To actual companies that then dole it out to guys like you and I. Same deal.

I befriended a few and made it my mission for a while to get "the true story" out of them for a while.
I don’t really play those but I know how they work. What do you mean dole it out to guys like us?

That they’re farming FOR the company? That wouldnt make sense since company runs the game. You mean hire “fake” players to generate more players? Sorry I’m just confused by the wording.

I can see hiring people to get a game world going but I think it’s different for movies. You really cannot convince people to support something.

I can see marketing telling its people to throw in positive comments here and there and hit the Like Button in what’s often a sea of negativity but specifically getting into it on message boards seems pointless.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #166
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Honestly it makes sense we'd be targeted. The Technodrome is the biggest (if not the only) ninja turtles forum. If they were looking to sway the fanbase they would start there. I guess they were expecting a bunch of impressionable kids and not a bunch of bitter old adults, lol.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #167
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Plus, even if it's a relatively small amount of active users, the lurkers who don't participate, including those without an account, also see and read all of it. Even if they aren't visible and directly interacting with a suspected "plant" they're still there and still an audience that marketing could be well aware of.

Case in point, right this second...
Currently Active Users: 360 (13 members and 347 guests)

Unless the site is buggy and gives a false count or is really that swamped with bots all the time, there's plenty lurking, be they non-member or just not logged in.

Besides, when a few of them behind the film got butthurt over criticism prior to the release of the 2014 film, do we really think this place wasn't a major player in them reacting like that? Sure, there's social media, but a lot of that also gets buried pretty fast. Here? If people don't like something, lurking filmmakers (and others) can come here and practically read a collective essay on why it sucks. Understandably, that's going to sting, but if you're going to look then you have to come in with tough enough skin. (Though, side note, that also makes wonder if they might decide to try to keep it quiet for as long as possible to avoid getting bitten again by the fan base. But I hope not. Hopefully their decisions will be good and minimize that.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #168
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

Quote:

It's not really surprising. Also notice how most forums nowadays have a few users who seem to only join them to spread specific political agendas? Same deal. Both companies and political parties pay people to do such dirty work for them online.

Just like if you watch a WWE show and happen to catch a member of the audience having a certain reaction people will suspect they might have been a plant.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #169
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Rather peaceful without them running amok around the place.