The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Raph
Mad Scientist

My interview with Kevin Munroe

Yesterday I got my interview with Kevin Munroe. This time (his words) a sane interview

Thanks again Kevin!!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rgret/munroe%20interview.html
Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Splinter's Iroonna
Hench Mutant

Thumbs up

NICELY DONE!

Congrats on the interview!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"When you first started the project were you going for an R rated movie in the lines of Spiderman"

Huh? Since when is there R-rated Spider-Man movies?

And I'm not sure where the "overzealous fans" he's referring to hungering for R-rated Turtles are. We just want PG-13 -- it's an amicable middle ground, and just ensures that the movie is actually geared toward a minimum of teenagers (yes, scary thought... a teenage ninja movie actually for teenagers and up, heaven forbid).

Pretty good interview, but I'd have grilled him a little more (not impolitely, of course).

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-09-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Question

Nice... So what's this I read about TMNT 2? How recently did Kevin respond to your interview?
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Raph
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
Nice... So what's this I read about TMNT 2? How recently did Kevin respond to your interview?
It was a one go interview
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph View Post
Yesterday I got my interview with Kevin Munroe. This time (his words) a sane interview

Thanks again Kevin!!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rgret/munroe%20interview.html
So, like... what with all your awesome autographs and now this...

You know you're my hero, right?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Revan
Han Shot First

Sweet interview.

3rd installment! Don't tease me. I'm in a good mood now. I love how he flirted with the sequel talk!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

Very insightful Q&A, can't wait for another one after the next flick.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Ah, yes...I liked the interview. Good stuff!

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
Raph
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Dawn View Post
So, like... what with all your awesome autographs and now this...

You know you're my hero, right?
Thank you. if you are surprised by the interview, you should check the other ones on www.autograph-artifacts.tk
then on the EVENT page are more TMNT interviews

Yeeh I have a fan XX
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Stone Warrior

Great interview, Raph.

Yeah, Mako is cool. I'll miss him in Avatar the Last Airbender season 3. T.T

So a Casey Jones movie is a good idea. That'd be interesting. And wow, hints for a definite sequel! Good news.

We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph View Post
It was a one go interview
As in it was completed in one sitting/typing? As in, he actually looked at it and answered your questions yesterday?

This makes me like the interview even more (sequel talk, despite the odds). Thanks so much!
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Raph
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
As in it was completed in one sitting/typing? As in, he actually looked at it and answered your questions yesterday?
THATS A YES
Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
iris
moddy mod mod

Very cool. Thanks for asking him about Rat King & Casey Jones.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
johnnyblaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Huh? Since when is there R-rated Spider-Man movies?

And I'm not sure where the "overzealous fans" he's referring to hungering for R-rated Turtles are. We just want PG-13 -- it's an amicable middle ground, and just ensures that the movie is actually geared toward a minimum of teenagers (yes, scary thought... a teenage ninja movie actually for teenagers and up, heaven forbid).
check out movies sites and message boards where people keep saying they want to see the turtles drinking beer, killing folks, getting into bloody fights and swearing up a storm. I'm pretty sure that is what he is reffering to.
johnnyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #16
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

So this means that a good sequel is definitely possible.....and it would "ground" the Turtles....as in getting back to the urban awesomeness of New york evident in the first season of 2k3 and the first live action movie....?

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze View Post
check out movies sites and message boards where people keep saying they want to see the turtles drinking beer, killing folks, getting into bloody fights and swearing up a storm. I'm pretty sure that is what he is reffering to.
Which movie sites or message boards? I've never seen any people seriously championing an R rated TMNT movie to those specifics.

Should they kill folks and get in bloody fights with a couple of swear words in there, though? Absolutely, and you can get away with this even in PG-13.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #18
junkboy
Hench Mutant

Great interview.
Tnx indeed.

A Live-Action Casey movie... That's what i really want!!!
junkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
johnnyblaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Which movie sites or message boards? I've never seen any people seriously championing an R rated TMNT movie to those specifics.

Should they kill folks and get in bloody fights with a couple of swear words in there, though? Absolutely, and you can get away with this even in PG-13.
dude look around at message boards for various movie news sites you can find plenty of people talking about wanting R-Rated turtles and more blood, guts and violence when the new film was brought up.

and yeah they could do all those things, but thats not neccessarily what it takes to make a good Ninja Turtles film. You can make a perfectly good Ninja Turtles film without bloody fights and casual swearing and glorified killing. look at TMNT and the first Ninja Turtles movie. neither one goes overboard with swearing, death and bloody battles like many folks have called for. its all down in a very subtle way. for example its more then implied in TMNT that Leo killed that man in the forrest in the beggining of the film (heck the entire film is set up under the idea that the turtles offed the Shredder and are a bit directionless afterwards when they don't have anyone to fight). Its subtle and won't alienate the fact that the turtles have fans of all ages.
johnnyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze View Post
dude look around at message boards for various movie news sites you can find plenty of people talking about wanting R-Rated turtles and more blood, guts and violence when the new film was brought up.
Maybe. I haven't seen any, really.

Quote:
and yeah they could do all those things, but thats not neccessarily what it takes to make a good Ninja Turtles film.
Of course not. But they shouldn't be shyed away from either.

Quote:
You can make a perfectly good Ninja Turtles film without bloody fights and casual swearing and glorified killing.
But why self-censor, why stop short and sell ourselves short of the original vision of the TMNT in the Mirage source material? For what reason?

In any case, the TMNT comics hardly revolve around casual swearing and glorified killing (and I'm not sure there's any "glorified" killing in the comics... it's handled quite subtly/tactfully when we see it, and always as only a necessary evil).

Quote:
look at TMNT and the first Ninja Turtles movie. neither one goes overboard with swearing, death and bloody battles like many folks have called for.
The first movie is as close as we've gotten (still stopping short of the original vision... but it has the fortune of being an otherwise great, uplifting movie in its own right), the new movie is a backwards Pokemon mess, its only compelling aspect being the bits of brotherhood/family that are there.

Quote:
its all down in a very subtle way. for example its more then implied in TMNT that Leo killed that man in the forrest in the beggining of the film
I didn't get that impression at all. Probably hog-tied him somewhere for being the obviously evil Hispanic he's supposed to be an empty self-caricature of.

Quote:
(heck the entire film is set up under the idea that the turtles offed the Shredder and are a bit directionless afterwards when they don't have anyone to fight).
But the Turtles didn't off the Shredder (he offed himself) and nothing in the movie gives anyone any reason to make us believe these are suddenly Ninja Turtles that kill.

Quote:
Its subtle and won't alienate the fact that the turtles have fans of all ages.
Aren't there plenty of kids out there of all ages that like X-Men and Wolverine and such? There's killing and the like in that... should only 18 year olds be allowed to read/look at that stuff? Would a 13 year old feel alienated by seeing Wolverine kill an enemy?

Egads, they're ninjas, not a barbershop quartet!