The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What is Splinter better as?
A Rat who belongs to Yoshi 26 41.27%
Hamato Yoshi himself 37 58.73%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #41
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rat. I just have qualms with him mimicking martial arts in pre-mutated form. I'd prefer that part be scrubbed from the origin or at least retconned in some way.
There's no way to retcon any existing universes this way, but I always thought it would be cool to have Yoshi survive the night Shredder kills Shen and, using his connections as a Guardian, mutate Splinter purposefully.

Then have Yoshi train him, and them battling the Foot for a few years until Shredder finally kills Yoshi. THEN the turtles are mutated (either accidentally or as a result of Splinter's actions).
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #42
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I only chose Hamato Yoshi as turning into the rat because it gave him a character goal for the Fred Wolf series. A shame then by Splinter No More they got rid of that. But I think it gives Ninja Turtles an interesting goal to push towards.
The first videogame also had him mutating back by the end.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #43
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

On the topic of how the mutagen has been made to work, as mentioned by previous commenters...

Now see, personally that has never bothered me, the whole "turning humans into animals" thing, as I'd always simply dismissed any largely socialized mentality of humans being some other different thing with the fact that humans are still just one of many existing species, equally vulnerable to it, and the mutagen simply has the ability to change a creature and give them some of the traits of another species. And could in theory include a cross that doesn't even include human...

(Which come to think of it could actually get really interesting and drive some weird 80s/90s style toy concepts. i.e. Someone's dog came into contact with the mutagen somehow, but its last contact was with the same family's cat. o.O It's only those who mix with human who luck out in gaining human intelligence and personhood.)

Now... the part I take issue with is when they just start letting it bring to life inanimate objects. As much as I loved the design of the Speed Demon car Nick came out with and still want a toy of it (with opening mouth/hood), the mutagen factor... just no.

edit: Though that also gives me issue with Ice Cream Kitty. Love the character and tend to just give it a pass, but the turning into the ice cream she ingested... eh. Really, her last contact was with Mikey, which could have been far stranger.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #44
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

Definitely Hamato Yoshi.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #45
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
Definitely Hamato Yoshi.
It seems to at least be the most popular version.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #46
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Seems to make more sense form Yoshi to be the rat. No ran can copy martial arts moves, which suggests that rat was already mutated in some way, shape or form. I sometimes speculated that rat was one of the rats from Nihm from The Secret of Nihm. Would explain how he was so intelligent enough to copy moves.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #47
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The first videogame also had him mutating back by the end.
Does it? Yeah you're right. I meant the cartoon though.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #48
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
Seems to make more sense form Yoshi to be the rat. No rat can copy martial arts moves, which suggests that rat was already mutated in some way, shape or form. I sometimes speculated that rat was one of the rats from Nihm from The Secret of Nihm. Would explain how he was so intelligent enough to copy moves.
Come to think of it, that's kind of how it was handled in IDW. I just didn't think of it that way until now.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #49
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Does it? Yeah you're right. I meant the cartoon though.
Check out a playthrough of the first videogame.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTurtlesFan View Post
Definitely Hamato Yoshi.
Quote:
It seems to at least be the most popular version.
Meaningless.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #51
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

I went with rat for my vote because in the 1990 ninja turtles movie, it's funny watching the little rat puppet doing little kicks. As he gets intelligent, I was a bit unsure about that.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #52
ToTheNines
[sic]

A relevant little article: http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-...two-splinters/
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #53
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
So his problem with the pet rat origin is that Splinter would technically not be much older than the Turtles, but what's fine with it is that it explains the lack of ninja focus?... Which was an issue in the show that started the human origin, not the comic. And the problem he has with the human origin, is that the tragedy of it is needlessly excessive? Even though that tends to be an argument in favor of it?

I don't think I've ever heard any of those arguments before, seems oddly reversed from what I'm used to hearing. I suppose I agree with the idea that reincarnation might be the best solution, and guess he has a point about adding a huge tragedy to a show that was essentially a comedy was a bizarre move, but I think I'm gonna have to process the other arguments.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #54
ABrown
Banned

I suppose if I have my pick, I would go with a rat. However, it's a non-issue for me. I find the personality, character design, and voice actor to be far more important as to whether I like said version of Splinter.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #55
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
O
Now see, personally that has never bothered me, the whole "turning humans into animals" thing, as I'd always simply dismissed any largely socialized mentality of humans being some other different thing with the fact that humans are still just one of many existing species, equally vulnerable to it, and the mutagen simply has the ability to change a creature and give them some of the traits of another species. And could in theory include a cross that doesn't even include human...
It's not that I think humans are fundamentally different from other animals. It's that I don't think inanimate ooze would be able to "tell" which creature one had most recently touched.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #56
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It doesn't have to "tell". It just fuses the DNA of the base creature with whatever DNA was left by the last organic/living thing it came in contact with. Which is how Snakeweed(in Nick), Baxter(any mutant version), or even the "Mootagen Monster" (as Mikey dubbed it) from the OT were all created. (The last one simply being a severely mutated "super-cow".) In theory, ANY two(or more) creatures that come in contact with each other could be mutated to a hybrid form. Like the cat/dog mix Indigo suggested, or something more bizarre like a mix of human, lion and scorpion(manticore), or cat and hawk (small griffon?), or any other combination one could think of. The fun part is that with the "last creature in contact", it doesn't even need to be one that is noticable- it could be dog hairs on your clothes counting as "contact"! (And Ice Cream Kitty is easy to explain- ice cream is made from frozen cream, which has lots of bacteria and enzymes from the milk....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #57
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
or something more bizarre like a mix of human, lion and scorpion(manticore)
Manbearpig.

Yeah, at least in my head the best sense I could always make of it is it's just reacting with trace DNA from skin cells or whatnot.

I dunno though, I might have to debate the Ice Cream Kitty thing; she aught to have turned into a cat-cow then, or a cat and...god knows what the bacteria would look like cat sized. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #58
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well she DID melt into a blob during her mutation lol! I kind if take it as a mix of all the ice cream ingredients combining with the cat to make- whatever she is. Flavored, and frozen, of course.

Manbearpig, ROFL!! I could see that. Shredder would probably come up with something like that as a weapon. My best guess is the trace DNA would just get mixed in with the closest equivelant in the base creature's genes, like taking two puzzles and trading pieces of one for the other that fit the general image. (Adding a rat's tail, claws, fur and head shape to a human, or altering the skeketal structure of a turtle to bipedal form.) I've spent a lot of time researching the anatomical logistics of the turtles to see how they "tick" as it were. The biggest difference is the pelvic and shoulder joints. Shift them outside the shell and it's not hard to see how the mutagen would work.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #59
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Check out a playthrough of the first videogame.
No I remember, thanks for mentioning it.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #60
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
It doesn't have to "tell". It just fuses the DNA of the base creature with whatever DNA was left by the last organic/living thing it came in contact with. Which is how Snakeweed(in Nick), Baxter(any mutant version), or even the "Mootagen Monster" (as Mikey dubbed it) from the OT were all created. (The last one simply being a severely mutated "super-cow".) In theory, ANY two(or more) creatures that come in contact with each other could be mutated to a hybrid form. Like the cat/dog mix Indigo suggested, or something more bizarre like a mix of human, lion and scorpion(manticore), or cat and hawk (small griffon?), or any other combination one could think of. The fun part is that with the "last creature in contact", it doesn't even need to be one that is noticable- it could be dog hairs on your clothes counting as "contact"! (And Ice Cream Kitty is easy to explain- ice cream is made from frozen cream, which has lots of bacteria and enzymes from the milk....)
This is how I've always interpreted it as well.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
splinter