The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Vegita-San
Emperor

Do you find there is a war on negativity?

I'm curious...

why do so many people who claim to be positive focus on the people who they think are 'negative' to the point of obsession in some cases?

I tend to not like where alot of things go, and i'm not afraid to speak out about it. cases like star wars. I think there is alot of un originality and feminism starting to invade the franchise, and i'm not afraid to speak up about it. Feigbusters. I was against this thing daring to call itself ghostbusters from day one, and was a huge target against it from the few supporters of the franchise.

The new Corporate direction of turtles. I'm still a fan of the franchise, yet not a fan of 2K12, and Platinum Dunes. this is apparently seen as a bad thing.

Things like the New DC Movies I don't particularly care for due to their violent nature and DC not understanding their own characters.

I always try to not make it personal, try to have well thought out opinions (unless the opposition drives me so crazy i don't care anymore)...and WILL go out of my way to compliment things if i feel that they deserve to be complimented, even in things I don't particularly care for, like the new star wars movies.

Yet, for whatever reason, the so called people who claim to be neutral, and positive, take this as a personal affront and will go out of their way to discredit, attack, or otherwise shame you into coming to their viewpoint.

and they don't realize that this not only doesn't help their cause, it will cause us to stand our ground further and not back down.

So, my fellow entertainment grumps. have you experienced this behavior before? how have you handled it?

with grace and dignity? or did you just get so bored of being called things like a hypocrite, that you finally just said 'to hell with it' and started firing back?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

Wouldn't call ti a "war" per se, but yes lots of people seem to get offended when someone isn't always happily excited about something. Not just movies and games and such but things in general. I think it's because they dont' want to be reminded that there's lots of crappy stuff on this world and some just don't lead happy lives in general or don't like lots of things they like. So they're probably afraid of falling into that "abyss" someday as well, and thus don't want to hear sad stories.

That being said, lots of people whine about just everything without having solid reasons why and that can get annoying.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wouldn't call ti a "war" per se, but yes lots of people seem to get offended when someone isn't always happily excited about something. Not just movies and games and such but things in general. I think it's because they dont' want to be reminded that there's lots of crappy stuff on this world and some just don't lead happy lives in general or don't like lots of things they like. So they're probably afraid of falling into that "abyss" someday as well, and thus don't want to hear sad stories.

That being said, lots of people whine about just everything without having solid reasons why and that can get annoying.
I can see this as a very possible reaction.

That last part is one of the reasons why i used the term 'war on negativity'..
people get so tired of what they see as 'whining' (and in lots of cases, that is exactly what it is) that the go crazy on it.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I dunno about on negativity, but I know around here it's the opposite. Most things get **** on in these forums and when people like TigerClaw come around, he gets shat on for simply liking stuff. It's kind of sad.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Like Cure, I've seen it both ways. I've been told off for being "too negative" (actually, I just have standards), and I've seen people who are more lax about their entertainment-watching be made fun of for "being a sheep" or whatever. I don't think there's anything wrong either way, so long as you can actually articulate why you like/dislike something.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Like Cure, I've seen it both ways. I've been told off for being "too negative" (actually, I just have standards), and I've seen people who are more lax about their entertainment-watching be made fun of for "being a sheep" or whatever. I don't think there's anything wrong either way, so long as you can actually articulate why you like/dislike something.
Yeah just be rational and put forth reasonable arguments to like/dislike something.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
Vegita-San
Emperor

Yeah.

I can see the sheep argument though.

but, in that case, I usually find it's people who actually WORK or want to work in hollywood, that are too afraid of annoying their bosses or future bosses, to actually want to criticize anything.

there are a few people like that one some forums, that will say, suicide squad is the best movie since captain america. despite 98% of the forum saying it's crap.

in those instances, when they have the same response to just about anything, I don't mind using the 'sheep' argument.

that's a whole other level of psychosis these days. someone who thinks that everything has to be good, and even when you see the damn movie, you can't pre judge it unless you think it's awesome ;o).

in my case, so long as the person can articulate why or why they don't like or dislike something, i generally can have fun talking with them.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Vegita-San
Emperor

and then you have another odd level of reaction.

a person will be totally sane one post, and then, you say something, and it's like a switch is flipped and they go total Social Justice Warrior on you for no reason at all.

I've seen it happen at least three times in the last few years, and i always wonder what makes them go off the deep end.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Like Cure, I've seen it both ways. I've been told off for being "too negative" (actually, I just have standards), and I've seen people who are more lax about their entertainment-watching be made fun of for "being a sheep" or whatever.
A "shill" is what I've seen TigerClaw be called a lot.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Andrew's preferred term is "plant".
Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Andrew's preferred term is "plant".
Oh, I have NO doubt there are plants.

From the Studios who either think stirring up trouble on forums is a good way too promote their product.....

or from studios who insert people into forums for the length the project is in the theater, and then after that time is up, those people simply vanish off the face of the earth. these people usually only post in the topics related to that specific movie or TV show. I've seen it happen before ;o).

Also, usually the people you can prove work in hollywood are also the ones who tend to be combative to the point of insulting when you disagree with them about a certain hollywood movie
Old 04-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
A "shill" is what I've seen TigerClaw be called a lot.
The problem with the way things are today is that people so strongly "identify" with the things they like that they can't concede that it isn't absolutely perfect and take it personal when someone criticizes it. I'm a die hard Steelers fan and am a member of a prominent Steelers board online and there are some there that act like if you're critical of any aspect of the team then you must not be a "real fan". That's stupid in the extreme. A person's very presence at an online forum should signal that they probably actually like the thing they are there to talk about. The same thing exists here and everywhere else. I personally don't like the new TMNT movies. Some people do. Big flipping deal. The bottom line is that we ALL love TMNT in one form or another. I'm 35 and actually lived through the true Turtle phenomenon back in the day and so obviously I have a strong nostalgic attachment to that series but can totally see why people who weren't there for it might think the 03 version is better. Doesn't make them stupid or me stupid. I personally think the Nick version has been the best version of all the shows. I personally think the original film is better than the new films. Some don't. So what? People just really need to learn to understand the world doesn't always agree with them. The problem with the internet is that it is used as this perpetual echo chamber.

True story that makes my point: This just happened to me yesterday. I work at UPS and was riding with a supervisor yesterday who happens to be black. Good dude. Hilarious. Love being around him. So I was bragging on my little boy's memory. He's 6 and almost has the first 16 Presidents memorized, knows how many amendments are in the Constitution, who wrote the Declaration of Independence, who is called the "Father of the Constitution", who shot Lincoln, where Lincoln was shot, where Lincoln died, and who shot Booth. So then he says "well does he know who shot MLK"? and I said "I don't think we've ever talked about MLK before actually". Then I started talking about how MLK had been wiretapped and spied on and how I'm curious if those tapes actually exist and will ever come out. This is widely talked about among historians. I also talked about how they accused him of plagiarism in the I Have A Dream Speech. Well then he acts like none of those things ever happened and I was like "I'm not saying I BELIEVE that he was a womanizer or whatever but just that there is a lot of speculation that he was" and then even said "Jefferson gets credit for The Pursuit of Happiness but John Locke was the originator of that thought". Well he just gets like totally triggered and is like "I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE! PEOPLE JUST WANNA TEAR DOWN A GREAT MAN!" and I'm just totally in shock that a simple conversation has escalated in to something so volatile. Then it occurred to me that some people are just simply unable to separate the "message" from the "messenger". They can't see that a man like MLK or Thomas Jefferson or whoever might have some things about them that aren't all that great but in the end the "ideas" of these men are what we should revere and realize that ALL people are far from perfect. The same principle goes for TMNT fandom and all the rest. Just my two cents.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Is there anything there isn't a "war on" these days? Humanity has lost sight of what is and isn't worth being taken so seriously. It's like people treat everything in the same vein as politics and fundamentalist religion. Like the fate of society is going to be destroyed by people who don't share a view or opinion.

Omg, you don't like a thing I like? This is a personal judgement and I'm offended!

Omg, you like a thing I don't and support its existence? Traitor! Horrible human being.

Not that there shouldn't be both criticism and praise, it's how the world self-corrects (sooner or later), but people need to stop thinking that a difference of opinion negates their own just because someone else showed up and was allowed to speak. Seems like that happens and then someone else has to talk louder just to have the final say, as if actually matters to the argument.

"Feminism starting to invade"? What's that even supposed to mean. There is a "no girls allowed" sign? Esp on everything fun. Why. In my perspective, the whole concept of redoing things like Ghostbusters isn't dumb because it was women put into the roles... its dumb because women can't get cool/fun original films like that in the first place. Films that aren't a "chick flick," and that men are going to like just as much because it's is a good, fun film, not because someone's boobs were put on display. (I did like the variety between the women, in terms of personalities, in that Ghostbusters.)

That kind of subject kind of is worth the argument to a point though. That isn't just on the level of liking or hating a PD movie for the movie and film makers itself... that's supporting doors being closed to a whole demographic for really lame reasons.

Plants... I don't know why they even bother. It's a pretty lousy attempt at marketing and a waste of time because you aren't going to change people's opinions. Even if someone is simply on a forum of their own accord because they happen to be a fan of a franchise already... I can understand wanting to defend something you are a part of and yourself worked hard on, but the arguments just can't be worth having most of the time.

edit: I can understand many of us being a little touchy about longtime beloved things like TMNT. Few probably want to see it do poorly based on some company's stupid ideas, and then they and others turn around and decide, for the wrong self-awareness-lacking reasons, that it is no longer a money maker and decide to put the franchise away. Hating something and wanting better for it or choosing to love anything with its name on it probably both have the same goal in the end, but via different priorities.

I don't want to see them go 'extinct' in my lifetime... I'd rather some version of them still be up to something when I'm old and about done for. Wish they'd make it to 100 (imagine that!) and be here to see it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

This might be a valid conversation if you weren't legitimately trolling the Nick section lately...

But yeah, it goes both ways.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #15
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I'm curious...

why do so many people who claim to be positive focus on the people who they think are 'negative' to the point of obsession in some cases?

I tend to not like where alot of things go, and i'm not afraid to speak out about it. cases like star wars. I think there is alot of un originality and feminism starting to invade the franchise, and i'm not afraid to speak up about it. Feigbusters. I was against this thing daring to call itself ghostbusters from day one, and was a huge target against it from the few supporters of the franchise.

The new Corporate direction of turtles. I'm still a fan of the franchise, yet not a fan of 2K12, and Platinum Dunes. this is apparently seen as a bad thing.

Things like the New DC Movies I don't particularly care for due to their violent nature and DC not understanding their own characters.

I always try to not make it personal, try to have well thought out opinions (unless the opposition drives me so crazy i don't care anymore)...and WILL go out of my way to compliment things if i feel that they deserve to be complimented, even in things I don't particularly care for, like the new star wars movies.

Yet, for whatever reason, the so called people who claim to be neutral, and positive, take this as a personal affront and will go out of their way to discredit, attack, or otherwise shame you into coming to their viewpoint.

and they don't realize that this not only doesn't help their cause, it will cause us to stand our ground further and not back down.

So, my fellow entertainment grumps. have you experienced this behavior before? how have you handled it?

with grace and dignity? or did you just get so bored of being called things like a hypocrite, that you finally just said 'to hell with it' and started firing back?
You're talking about the folks who love the stuff even if its horrible because they think supporting crap movies/toons/toys or whatever will keep their brand of fandom going....

Those people are insufferable. I'm a fan of Turtles, Superman/DC but I want a HIGHER quality product. Supporting less than stellar outings means getting more less than stellar outings...

Bring the hate. Lol
Old 04-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It's funny when people complain they're criticized for being too negative or just giving thier opinions...there's a reason.

You really do not see "positive" posts claiming so-and-so is absolutely wonderful but a lot of "negative" posts DO claim so-and-so is absolutely awful.

Hyperbole is rarely if ever in the positive sense. Nobody gives exaggerated praise. It's just not a thing.

Naysayers will always be more vocal.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The problem is the hivemind of the internet, doesn't matter if it's negative or positive.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Threads like these are why we need CyberCubed.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #19
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It's funny when people complain they're criticized for being too negative or just giving thier opinions...there's a reason.

You really do not see "positive" posts claiming so-and-so is absolutely wonderful but a lot of "negative" posts DO claim so-and-so is absolutely awful.
actually, in some places you do ;o).

even with movies that have no redeeming value, most do just to appear smug, or positive for the sake of being positive.

whether they really feel that way or not is another question entirely...

and maybe the reason 'negative' people do more often is cause we are tired of being labled 'haters'. it's such a dismissive term used by people who don't want to try and prove their point.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #20
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Threads like these are why we need CyberCubed.
there are more than enough people like him to replace him. it really helps keep the peace when you get called a hypocrite, for example ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
You're talking about the folks who love the stuff even if its horrible because they think supporting crap movies/toons/toys or whatever will keep their brand of fandom going....

Those people are insufferable. I'm a fan of Turtles, Superman/DC but I want a HIGHER quality product. Supporting less than stellar outings means getting more less than stellar outings...

Bring the hate. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The problem is the hivemind of the internet, doesn't matter if it's negative or positive.

yep. or the people that feel misguided in supporting something, because they think it's for the good of the franchise.
andthen take it as a personal insult if you dare to dislike it, even in an intelligent way.
Closed Thread