The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

tmnt 117 preview and discussion

here's a preview of tomorrows issue. http://majorspoilers.com/2021/06/08/...7/#prettyPhoto

love mikey's "star", i would've thought they would have tried to at least clean up jennikas hole.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hm, is that really it? The big battle of the bands story they've been building up for the last numbers of issues and it's over in 3 pages? Maybe I'm speaking too soon and Bebop/Rocksteady will turn around.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
here's a preview of tomorrows issue. http://majorspoilers.com/2021/06/08/...7/#prettyPhoto

love mikey's "star", i would've thought they would have tried to at least clean up jennikas hole.
Here's the panels from that preview.

Spoiler:

Old 06-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #4
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I've been so distracted by the overall state of the comic and the disbelief that a battle of the bands was a focus for 10+ issues that I completely forgot the inherent flaw of the entire thing: A comic book is a print medium. There's no audio or video. Music requires audio, and a performance requires both. There's no way to actually do a battle of the bands justice in a comic book, because there's no way to actually depict music. It's why whenever original songs show up in comics, it's always slightly annoying because I have no idea how it's supposed to sound in my head, and thus I don't know how to "sing" it. At least in a show or a movie, the payoff is that you actually get to see the battle of the bands. You get to hear the music that they've created, and you get camera shots and a dynamic peformance. Here? 3 pages of still images and everyone telling you that the music is fantastic, which of course we can't verify because we have no way of hearing it! And to top it all off, it looks like we're not even going to see the other performance anyways! Not only does it end in the most anticlimactic fashion possible, but if those pages are an indication, it's not even a real "battle of the bands!" And even if it was, the same problem that music in comics runs into occurs. If that was the payoff, then this was an even bigger waste of time than before. At least now it's over and the plot may finally be able to get back on track, and we can finally get out of the city ghetto for a bit.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

But it's so different and unexpected and subverts expectations!

If you could go back in time and tell your 7-year old self that THIS would be the main plotline in the only ongoing TMNT media to exist in the year 2021 - essentially carrying the flag for the entire brand - they'd never believe you. Young You would think that Older You was a lunatic!

It. Subverts. Expectations.

I mean, just because it's like ordering a pizza only to have the delivery guy show up, slap you in the face with a frozen carp and tell you you're lucky to get anything at all, and that you should be GLAD that what you got wasn't at all like what you asked for or wanted... that doesn't mean it's not "brilliant".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #6
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

That's the same line of thinking behind more than half of the crap that comes out these days. Especially the sequel trilogy. I think that one pisses me off the most. It would be nice if people would stop trying to reinvent the wheel or reinflate an already popped tire. Just make good stories!
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:59 AM   #7
Allio
Foot Elite

You guys should have seen the one show that started as a gang war where territories were decided by break dancing and how it became fan-favorite in it’s franchise.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:49 AM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hm, is that really it? The big battle of the bands story they've been building up for the last numbers of issues and it's over in 3 pages? Maybe I'm speaking too soon and Bebop/Rocksteady will turn around.
The whole build-up to this was utter crap, what made you think the payoff would be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

If you could go back in time and tell your 7-year old self that THIS would be the main plotline in the only ongoing TMNT media to exist in the year 2021 - essentially carrying the flag for the entire brand - they'd never believe you. Young You would think that Older You was a lunatic!

I mean, just because it's like ordering a pizza only to have the delivery guy show up, slap you in the face with a frozen carp and tell you you're lucky to get anything at all, and that you should be GLAD that what you got wasn't at all like what you asked for or wanted... that doesn't mean it's not "brilliant".
As praised on Twitter. And nowhere else.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:04 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think the general idea -- or the boon -- of a concert in a comic book is that your mind and own tastes can fill out what is being played as opposed to being "told" or hearing what's being played on the page, which you might not like. Because comics aren't quite like the movies, where you'd have the screenwriter write the story and then you'd have 10 separate guys working out the songs for the big dance number at the end. You certainly wouldn't expect the screenwriter to be coming up with the music.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-09-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

I wonder if derbys frills puff up automatically if he's agitated or if it's volentary. I'm also wondering what the goth bats story is.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
I wonder if derbys frills puff up automatically if he's agitated or if it's volentary. I'm also wondering what the goth bats story is.
I wonder where are the Ninja Turtles in their own comic.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
I wonder where are the Ninja Turtles in their own comic.
At the very least it's an easy version of where's waldo/wally.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Eh. 7 year old me might not care since I wasn't into comics then, but I think 15 year old me who was a seasoned comic reader would believe it, and scoff at how comics have gone downhill.

My God, though, this sounds so awful. All that build up for...this? Really?

I know, "like whatever you want" but the pay-off for this is so pointless and meh that I don't understand what the fans of this run are getting out of it.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #14
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
"like whatever you want"
That's the contextual equivalent of "You wouldn't know her, she's from Canada".
Old 06-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I guess when it comes to the questionable task of communicating music into the comic book medium, Archie Adventures did it about as well as anyone could hope:

Spoiler:

Thanks, Enscripture!

One would think in today's day and age, the comic might include a QR code that opens up a weblink to play some commissioned jingle.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Oh, man, I think I see where this is going... Kitsune is gonna be offed by RK to further motivate Saki to become the Turtles' mentor in a sort of mirror to Splinter and Tang Shen's backstory, isn't she? Even after everything she's done, the possibility saddens me, seeing the life they've made for themselves.

And not gonna lie, Saki being able to straight-up (pun intended) fly is COOL AS F*CK!

Koya, girl... You couldn't even cut it against Leo every single time. Maybe calm down in front of the Psycho Safari Twins.

Is it me or was there a sixth Turtle with a white bandana in the group shot of the future, in the top left corner?

All in all, quite a decent issue after the whole battle of the bands silliness wrapped up. Let's hopefully try to steer clear of that stuff in the future.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Score one for love and acceptance... or something.
Spoiler:

What the heck kind of book is it?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #18
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
What the heck kind of book is it?
Not the kind that brought us all together as fans, that's for damn sure.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

It's funny how the hated book gets all the discussion, despite there being previews for The Last Ronin on twitter every few days.

Far be it for me to regulate what people want to discuss, and I know there's a general truth to there being more discussion around hated things, but I'm still amused. Sue me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Now that I read it, it's a pretty decent epilogue issue. The whole battle of bands thing fizzled out fast. But I like that Karai has a truce with the Turtles again (make it last this time), and we see more of Saki/Kitsune.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote