The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #121
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Yeah I understand the sentiment. Once in a blue moon I might still drop the first Iron Man, Winter Soldier or Avengers 1 into the disc tray as background noise.

I'm a little interested in verifiably good 4k transfers, but that's it.
I've rewatch GOTG 1 and 2, or everything in the Captain America sequence of films, but other than that...

You kinda have to be in the mood for Marvel, and I'm finding that I'm not actually in that mood very often. Partly because everything is so damn connected.

It's hard to watch, say, an Iron Man movie without having to watch a ton of Avengers movies, a Captain America movie, and even a fvcking Spiderman movie afterwards. That's like two weeks worth of film right there. And it all kind of blends into one big narrative.

But if I want to watch Batman, that's three nights in a row, not two weeks. And a hell of a lot less forgettable individually.

It's like the difference between IDW and Mirage TMNT. Once a year or two, I'll reread the entire IDW sequence. But if I just want to read a good TMNT story one night? I grab my City at War hardbacks.

Long-form narrative is fascinating, but it's also kind of exhausting.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #122
AquaParade
Banned

Iron Man 3 is a huge mix of good and bad for me. At the end of the day, it's not worth sifting through the bad to get to the good.

I really like the character work at play. The anxiety angle was much-needed after all Tony had been through. Something I felt was lacking with Peter in Far From Home, where they wanted to tell a fun story and succeeded, but Peter should have been pretty screwed up, and that's hard to ignore.

I also thought there were some good action bits. The airplane sequence and the home invasion scenes are pretty cool. The finale didn't do squat for me, but I can say that about too many blockbuster comicbook movies.

On the negative side, the masterful Extremis arc, by Warren Ellis, was terribly adapted here. It's such good material and seeing it adapted badly, hurts.
And The villain was so goofy. Worse, they used that technique of making the villain, like, such a goddamn doofus in the way he acts and speaks, as a motivator for you to hate him. And it works. It's an icky feeling.

Don't love it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #123
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
On another note, I don't know how anyone could call Iron Man 3 great..
Easy.
It's a fan buddy-cop movie with comic book dressing. As for canons, I don't really care about them.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #124
TommyT
Banned

I don't think anybody actually wants this movie, it feels like an afterthought, built on inclusiveness. The character in the comics is cool, and I liked the recent story arc. The MCU version, not so much.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #125
raph27
Mad Scientist

I'll come out in defense of Iron Man 3. Hated it for years, then finally rewatched it on my full MCU rewatch before Infinity War and it softened my feelings on it. Focusing on Tony's anxiety post-Avengers was a great direction to go in, and contrary to the opinion of many I think that it's engaging to see him work out problems without relying on the suits.

Now, I'll admit it has problems. In hindsight, it's obvious that Maya was supposed to be the real big bad before Perlmutter and co. made the switch to Killian, and I think that she would have turned out as a better villain. Plus, the utter lack of any defenses on Tony's house in Malibu always stuck out as off. But overall, it's a solid watch and sure is a hell lot better than Iron Man 2, which is my personal least favorite of the MCU.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #126
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Easy.
It's a fan buddy-cop movie with comic book dressing.
Fair enough with this... sure, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
and contrary to the opinion of many I think that it's engaging to see him work out problems without relying on the suits.
This is something that most hardcore Iron Man fans (like the Advanced Iron guys, for example) tend to see as the beginnings of something that could've been great about the movie. It's very much a Layton & Michelinie approach to the character. I actually don't think I've ever seen a solid argument against this or a complaint about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I don't think anybody actually wants this movie, it feels like an afterthought, built on inclusiveness. The character in the comics is cool, and I liked the recent story arc. The MCU version, not so much.
I've got to admit - the trailer looks more "Winter Soldier" than "Craptain Marvel", and Scarlett/Black Widow is much more compelling and likeable on every level than Brie.

As long as Marvel doesn't start pushing an agenda with this one like they did with Craptain Marvel, I'll pay to see it. But as soon as it becomes an agenda vehicle, I'm out.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #127
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Trailer seems pretty devoid of agenda to me. But it could be buried there or disguised, like "Knives Out"'s marketing did.

Who's even the villain of this movie? Who I thought was the villain is like her dad or something, going by the trailer. Or will it just be the inevitable "they are revealed as evil" thing near the end?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #128
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
I'll come out in defense of Iron Man 3. Hated it for years, then finally rewatched it on my full MCU rewatch before Infinity War and it softened my feelings on it. Focusing on Tony's anxiety post-Avengers was a great direction to go in, and contrary to the opinion of many I think that it's engaging to see him work out problems without relying on the suits.

Now, I'll admit it has problems. In hindsight, it's obvious that Maya was supposed to be the real big bad before Perlmutter and co. made the switch to Killian, and I think that she would have turned out as a better villain. Plus, the utter lack of any defenses on Tony's house in Malibu always stuck out as off. But overall, it's a solid watch and sure is a hell lot better than Iron Man 2, which is my personal least favorite of the MCU.
Hear, hear

100% cosign on that
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #129
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Trailer seems pretty devoid of agenda to me. But it could be buried there or disguised, like "Knives Out"'s marketing did.

Who's even the villain of this movie? Who I thought was the villain is like her dad or something, going by the trailer. Or will it just be the inevitable "they are revealed as evil" thing near the end?
I think Taskmaster was mentioned. But from I understood, he is more of a mercenary rather than 100% villain.

I wonder how they gonna handle his special ability.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #130
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Delayed/Release pushed back because of Corona Virus

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1239961520349446147
Old 03-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #131
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post

Well... since there's not even theaters around to show them right now, it's hardly surprising.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #132
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post

not coming out till Nov. 6, 2020

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...us-1203550173/
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #133
CyberCubed
Overlord

They should have put this on Disney+. Nobody is going to go to a theater in November to see Black Widow and that’s assuming the virus is mostly under control by then and it probably won’t be.

This movie was like 3-4 years overdue anyway. Too late.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #134
Leo656
The Franchise

Dude, enough with this already. These movies cost $200 million and up. They can't make their money back off of f*cking Streaming services, that sh*t brings in pennies compared to theatrical release.

Not everything is about YOU.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #135
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

According to Scarlet, apparently the movie is going to be about Time's Up and the #metoo movement?

Oh, dear...

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...clusive-image/
Old 09-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #136
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Dude, enough with this already. These movies cost $200 million and up. They can't make their money back off of f*cking Streaming services, that sh*t brings in pennies compared to theatrical release.

Not everything is about YOU.
I'm pretty sure he's just going to pirate it, so he doesn't think about that stuff. Good call though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #137
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
According to Scarlet, apparently the movie is going to be about Time's Up and the #metoo movement?

Oh, dear...

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...clusive-image/
Christ can't we just have an awesome action spy thriller in the MCU without all this extra feminist crap.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #138
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wish they'd give this the Mulan and Bill and Ted treatment to streaming so I can watch it already. This is obviously not going to come out in theaters this year at this point unless they go for a limited release so it's probably not going to come for another 6 months.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #139
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wish they'd give this the Mulan and Bill and Ted treatment to streaming so I can watch it already. This is obviously not going to come out in theaters this year at this point unless they go for a limited release so it's probably not going to come for another 6 months.
you basically said this already
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They should have put this on Disney+. Nobody is going to go to a theater in November to see Black Widow and that’s assuming the virus is mostly under control by then and it probably won’t be.

This movie was like 3-4 years overdue anyway. Too late.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #140
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I hope those are just media buzzwords Scarjo is forced to say, as part of 'play along with Woke Marvel or there's the door'. I really don't see how MeToo and such will play into a spy thriller? Are they gonna say Widow's sister had to blow someone to earn her skills and now she wants to go after him years later?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black cuckow, sjw is the new 30