The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #41
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
What I don't get (I mean, I get it in the sense that the story needs to happen, but in-universe) is why they didn't go to someone in a position of leadership on Earth first, instead of just beaming down onto a busy Manhattan street in broad daylight. Why not figure out who our leaders are? Talk to the President, to the UN, I don't know. And speaking of, isn't the EPF accountable to the POTUS? Shouldn't he have been informed about, y'know, the alien ships stationed behind the moon? It's something you don't see everyday, and then the whole thing could've been handled by (relatively) cooler heads.
Another thing is that the Tricertarions should've warned the civilizations of Earth that they are a bunch of peaceful race of aliens(well technically not since they are from our world) and they are coming to Earth. Hell if they studied Earth they would've put their message on the Internet and schedule a meeting with the world leaders

Also I find it strange that everyone in the EPF is okay with this I mean sure almost everybody there must be scared/loyal to Bishop but nobody thought that attacking a bunch of advance aliens was a dangerous idea.

Last edited by PApagreg; 11-15-2017 at 12:28 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #42
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Another thing is that the Tricertarions should've warned the civilizations of Earth that they are a bunch of peaceful race of aliens(well technically not sense they are from our world) and they are coming to Earth. Hell if they studied Earth they would've put their message on the Internet and schedule a meeting with the world leaders

Also I find it strange that everyone in the EPF is okay with this I mean sure almost everybody there must be scared/loyal to Bishop but nobody thought that attacking a bunch of advance aliens was a dangerous idea.
It's still a toss-up on how well that would've gone over. After all, remember that mankind is pretty much this...

Spoiler:

But it definitely would've worked better than letting Bishop and his men host the welcome party. Regarding your second point, I'm sure the guys from Dark Water are at home with their families right now, microwaving some popcorn and sitting back to enjoy the show.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #43
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Part of the issue, I assume, is that the Triceratons are a 'young' race. They have only been self governing for a short time and have never had a home planet. Given that they are a warrior race, designed to fight other people's wars, this move is almost shocking in its passivity. It would have been smarter to pop over to, say, the UN, and given that they landed in New York perhaps that was on their agenda. Just a general scout team, perhaps land in front of the locals and make a good impression before finding the leaders. As I said before, Bishop is honestly the worst possible person they could have had make first contact.

As it is, Bishop's extreme paranoia and lack of compromise may have just doomed millions, perhaps billions to die in a war Earth, frankly, has little chance to actually win.

Splinter's appearance threw me for a complete loop. I really have no idea what he intends to do here. A man out of time, I don't know that he has the background to judge the scale of what the Triceraton threat actually is (Bishop doesn't have that excuse) but it sort of seems like he's saying, "Don't talk to him, talk to me." I could completely see him letting the commander go and have Bishop if they agree to let the Foot run New York and/or if Bishop continues to be a jerk.

The irony of Bishop being saved by a mutant doesn't escape me BTW.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #44
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I do feel a need to suspend my belief on that a little bit.

Even if they were "just soldiers", they probably would have still accompanied the Utroms enough to know what diplomatic negotiations looked like...that is before Quanin hurled diplomacy out the highest window in the tallest tower and f'ed things up for pretty much everyone in Dimension X.

On the other hand, that would have been diplomacy with civilizations that was already exposed to alien visitors and Earth had not been.

I have realized though, that the invasion might just expose the turtles and other mutants to the outside world, so this would really be the force to change everything in their lives.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Very good first issue. I've forgotten but does Mozar exist in the IDW universe? I wish they'd use him but this new female general seems good too.

I suppose we'll also get Bishop's origins in this arc. I mean they can't very well keep showing his cyborg/robotic parts without any explanation much longer, can they?

We know he at least had to be human at first since he has a father. So I guess it's just a case of transporting his mind/brain in new cyborg bodies? In a way it's a nice homage to both the 2k3 and Nick Bishop's. He's not entirely human.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I wouldn't be surprised if Zom just outright replaces Mozar. Likely for bone-dry absence of female Triceratons in TMNT franchise as a whole.

Same with Ma'riell's existence, being the only female Utrom around since Dr. X and a few extras. (And even then, Dr. X was mistaken to be a male for the majority of her time in Image, and no one was corrected until her last appearance. I'm a little surprised Leatherhead never learned to tell the difference)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #47
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I suppose we'll also get Bishop's origins in this arc. I mean they can't very well keep showing his cyborg/robotic parts without any explanation much longer, can they?
i've been hoping we'll see that explained soon. just how does one go about becoming a cyborg?
or was his consciousness placed inside an artificial life-form? this might make more sense since the last body we saw him in got it's face tore off and hands chopped.
how hideous would that be? a slew of endless bodies waiting for him to take them over. sort of like the clones in 'The 6th Day' only cybernetic.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #48
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
It's still a toss-up on how well that would've gone over. After all, remember that mankind is pretty much this...

But it definitely would've worked better than letting Bishop and his men host the welcome party. Regarding your second point, I'm sure the guys from Dark Water are at home with their families right now, microwaving some popcorn and sitting back to enjoy the show.
Break it is legs?
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #49
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Break it is legs?
It's an exaggeration, of course, but the point is that mankind wouldn't react all that well to any strange beings that showed up claiming to be peaceful.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #50
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Well, the people in the street's response to random dinosaurs with guns is understandable but I'm guessing the real life governments would at least be willing to give ET life a chance to speak their case. The real problem, actually, would be various Earth countries scrambling to make an alliance with the aliens against each other. Sort of how any invading force works, from Persia in ancient Greece to Caesar in Gaul to the Mongols...in a whole bunch of places, to Cortez in modern Mexico to the United States against the Native American tribes, one of the first things you do is make alliances with local factions, playing off long term disputes to divide and conquer. The Triceratons seem to think New York equals: Earth as a whole and we are a united faction. Guess they really didn't do any research at all.

Which...makes me think...who appointed Bishop as head of the EDF? Or created the EDF? Was that ever established? Is it a branch of the American government, or NATO, or the UN or some secret shadow government run by the Pantheon members?

I mean...think about it, in a minute Vladimir Putin is going to be sitting in Russia and hear he's just had war declared on his country because some cowboy cyborg in New York he may or may not have known existed botched first contact with some aliens. The first thing China, Britain, Russia, heck, even other parts of the American government would probably do is try to establish independent contact with the Triceratons. Unless Bishop controls the media and portrays earth as the victim of an unprovoked attack, but even then...

...*sigh* I'm probably way overthinking the particulars of space dinosaurs visiting earth am I?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #51
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Man, this issue hits the ground running. Love it!

Really hope the Triceratons make it out okay... would love to see the Turtles team up with the hornheads AGAINST Bishop, not the other way around...
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #52
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Spoiler:
I feel bad for the Triceratons.
Even if they acted a bit naively in the way they first presented themselves to mankind, at least they made the effort.
I imagine any other species in their position would've gone straight to claiming the planet as their own.

And everytime Bishop appears I can't help but want to learn more of his backstory. Like how he got to be the way he is. In some ways, I suppose he's as mysterious as the Pantheon.

Also, I really wasn't expecting Splinter to show up in this arc, so his appearance surprised me. Although, in hindsight since this is a major thing happening, it makes sense.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #53
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Spoiler:
I feel bad for the Triceratons.
Even if they acted a bit naively in the way they first presented themselves to mankind, at least they made the effort.
I imagine any other species in their position would've gone straight to claiming the planet as their own.

And everytime Bishop appears I can't help but want to learn more of his backstory. Like how he got to be the way he is. In some ways, I suppose he's as mysterious as the Pantheon.

Also, I really wasn't expecting Splinter to show up in this arc, so his appearance surprised me. Although, in hindsight since this is a major thing happening, it makes sense.
I confess, while there have been sympathetic aliens in the past, I don't know that I can recall another story which seems to almost be trying to make you root for the invading aliens.

I mean, Splinter shows up at the end and besides 'what?' my main reaction was, "No! Don't save Bishop!"

Seriously, if Bishop is killed right there then we all might have been saved. Getting him out of his position of power might be the only thing saving us from being trounced by the Triceratons.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #54
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
Well, the people in the street's response to random dinosaurs with guns is understandable but I'm guessing the real life governments would at least be willing to give ET life a chance to speak their case. The real problem, actually, would be various Earth countries scrambling to make an alliance with the aliens against each other. Sort of how any invading force works, from Persia in ancient Greece to Caesar in Gaul to the Mongols...in a whole bunch of places, to Cortez in modern Mexico to the United States against the Native American tribes, one of the first things you do is make alliances with local factions, playing off long term disputes to divide and conquer. The Triceratons seem to think New York equals: Earth as a whole and we are a united faction. Guess they really didn't do any research at all.

Which...makes me think...who appointed Bishop as head of the EDF? Or created the EDF? Was that ever established? Is it a branch of the American government, or NATO, or the UN or some secret shadow government run by the Pantheon members?

I mean...think about it, in a minute Vladimir Putin is going to be sitting in Russia and hear he's just had war declared on his country because some cowboy cyborg in New York he may or may not have known existed botched first contact with some aliens. The first thing China, Britain, Russia, heck, even other parts of the American government would probably do is try to establish independent contact with the Triceratons. Unless Bishop controls the media and portrays earth as the victim of an unprovoked attack, but even then...

...*sigh* I'm probably way overthinking the particulars of space dinosaurs visiting earth am I?
Your line of thinking regarding the different countries' reactions to such a situation reminds me of the plot of last year's movie Arrival. You should check it out.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #55
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

“The city belongs to the Foot Clan”. Splinter’s so bad ass
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #56
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"You can have New Jersey! And parts of mainland New York!"
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #57
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
It's an exaggeration, of course, but the point is that mankind wouldn't react all that well to any strange beings that showed up claiming to be peaceful.
I was making fun of its grammatical garbage.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #58
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Bishop you Xenophobic twit you've doomed us all.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 AM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Re-reading this issue, the Turtles only appear in the first 3 pages of this entire issue, and the rest of it is all the Triceratons and Bishop.

Is this the type of issue people mean when they say the Turtles feel like guest stars in their own book?

Great issue, but pretty funny they only appear for like 3 pages. I'm sure they'll get more focus in the next few issues since Splinter is around though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #60
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I was making fun of its grammatical garbage.
Oh, my bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Re-reading this issue, the Turtles only appear in the first 3 pages of this entire issue, and the rest of it is all the Triceratons and Bishop.

Is this the type of issue people mean when they say the Turtles feel like guest stars in their own book?

Great issue, but pretty funny they only appear for like 3 pages. I'm sure they'll get more focus in the next few issues since Splinter is around though.
Well, it's not any worse than #75, where it's not the Turtles who deal with Hakk-R, it's not the Turtles who take down Maligna (though Donnie is the one who makes the suggestion, but one gets the feeling the Fugitoid could've subbed in just as well), and they're sidelined throughout the entire trial itself.

I do have a feeling you're right about the upcoming issues. There's one coming up in Universe that sounds very promising too.