The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

They have treatments for some types of cancer, it's just really rough; chemo and radiation are both extremely brutal on the body.

I figure cancer has been around much longer than people think, it's just that now we have official scientific diagnoses (and sometimes cures) for it.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #22
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
They have treatments for some types of cancer, it's just really rough; chemo and radiation are both extremely brutal on the body.

I figure cancer has been around much longer than people think, it's just that now we have official scientific diagnoses (and sometimes cures) for it.
I wasn't talking chemo or radiation I'm talk straight up cure like stops cancer in its tracks.

But I do agree chemo and radiation are nuts on the body and tough. And I'm sure you're right about it being around for lot longer.

Like so my mom has pancreatic cancer which is a relatively "new" cancer so there aren't as many treatments as there are for other forms of cancer.

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #23
Leogeddon
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

There were no signs of cancer prior to the 1800s, it's a very recent thing and historians and doctors are able to determine what diseases and other health problems humans have faced over time thanks to stories and letters describing everything. I believe it's thanks to the sudden changes in our diets and life styles. We're surrounded by heavy chemicals all the time and we put it all in our bodies on a daily basis, it's more like a chemical reaction within select individuals that causes cancer to occur. All about bad luck for such to occur, as mild as it's put but it's very serious as we all know.

Click me for group discussion!
Leogeddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Sorry to hear about your mother OP.

When I was a kid I remember my grandpa going away for awhile to california. Come to find out years later he had prostate cancer. As a kid to me he never appeared sick so I had no clue I just remember being told he was on vacation in california with my great uncle. He was in remission for fifteen years. In 05 he was diagnosed with colon cancer. The year prior to his diagnosis my dad had passed away so my grandpa moved in which really helped fill the void. He had a sucessful surgery and I was taking him to chemo on a regular basis. He was doing great he hadn't lost his appetite, he hadn't lost much weight, and he didn't feel any pain. A little over a year later he was in remission again and even went back to work until he finally retired. At this point he was eighty years old. Fast forward to May of last year and he went for his regular checkup and the doctor had found that he had liver cancer. At this point my grandpa was ninety and he didn't want anymore done.
He passed away June 2nd 2015 just four days shy of his 91st birthday. We had a great time with him for his last month with us. He was at peace with everything and everyone. It was tough but you have to find a way to keep moving forward. I still have dreams of him but they're good dreams. Dreams of when he was younger and healthy.

I'm not gonna lie I'm crying while typing this. Someday, hopefully soon, in our lifetime cancer will be but a distant memory.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #25
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother OP.

When I was a kid I remember my grandpa going away for awhile to california. Come to find out years later he had prostate cancer. As a kid to me he never appeared sick so I had no clue I just remember being told he was on vacation in california with my great uncle. He was in remission for fifteen years. In 05 he was diagnosed with colon cancer. The year prior to his diagnosis my dad had passed away so my grandpa moved in which really helped fill the void. He had a sucessful surgery and I was taking him to chemo on a regular basis. He was doing great he hadn't lost his appetite, he hadn't lost much weight, and he didn't feel any pain. A little over a year later he was in remission again and even went back to work until he finally retired. At this point he was eighty years old. Fast forward to May of last year and he went for his regular checkup and the doctor had found that he had liver cancer. At this point my grandpa was ninety and he didn't want anymore done.
He passed away June 2nd 2015 just four days shy of his 91st birthday. We had a great time with him for his last month with us. He was at peace with everything and everyone. It was tough but you have to find a way to keep moving forward. I still have dreams of him but they're good dreams. Dreams of when he was younger and healthy.

I'm not gonna lie I'm crying while typing this. Someday, hopefully soon, in our lifetime cancer will be but a distant memory.
I really appreciate your response. It's really hard. Every time some one aske me how my moms doing I can't help but cry. Lol it's getting to the point I feel like over cried more this last year then almost any time my whole life.

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #26
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

That's terrible - sorry to hear it.

They're making advances in treatment all the time, so maybe one day we won't have to worry about cancer. I know a few people who have beaten it in one form or another, so I'm hopeful for the future.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #27
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

I used to believe that there was a giant conspiracy surrounding a cure for cancer but after having worked in and knowing plenty of people that are involved with cancer research I now know there is no such conspiracy! Just about every major pharmaceutical company as well as large private laboratories are dumping billions into cancer cure research. Believe me that it would be worth it to make this "cure" available if it existed! The best we have are treatments that can be effective enough to "cure" some but unfortunately not all. It's sad but that is the truth! I feel so lucky that at age 36 I have never had a relative become afflicted with cancer that resulted in chemo and radiation treatment! We've only had two cases of skin cancer! Anyone who has experienced cancer in some form has my sympathies!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #28
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Sam,

I went through the same thing just a few years ago. My mom had thyroid cancer when I was younger, and then a few years back she had uterine cancer. At the same time, I lost my nephew to an aggressive Neuroblastoma. It's a horrible thing to go through, but the best thing to do is spend as much time with your mom as you can. Don't waste time burying your head in the sand to avoid the situation. You will regret it...

I spent a lot of time crying and angry and hurt and scared. But I stepped back from all the non-essential stuff and spent a lot of time with her. She went through surgery and chemo and recovered, after a year or so... but I never take her for granted. We may squabble from time to time, but I wouldn't miss it for anything.

As for cancer cures, we're of the same opinion as well. It's a shame though, that money is more important than peoples' lives. But money trumps too many things these days.
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #29
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Sam,

I went through the same thing just a few years ago. My mom had thyroid cancer when I was younger, and then a few years back she had uterine cancer. At the same time, I lost my nephew to an aggressive Neuroblastoma. It's a horrible thing to go through, but the best thing to do is spend as much time with your mom as you can. Don't waste time burying your head in the sand to avoid the situation. You will regret it...

I spent a lot of time crying and angry and hurt and scared. But I stepped back from all the non-essential stuff and spent a lot of time with her. She went through surgery and chemo and recovered, after a year or so... but I never take her for granted. We may squabble from time to time, but I wouldn't miss it for anything.

As for cancer cures, we're of the same opinion as well. It's a shame though, that money is more important than peoples' lives. But money trumps too many things these days.
We're leaving next week to spend a week with her and my family. And hopefull continue visits every six weeks. I'm very excited to be going to see her. She's started hospice care yesterday and my dad says they're helping a lot. I'm hoping to spend as much time with her as possible

love you mom...
Quote:
--- @Ceejay
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

What Machias said is spot-on. I really grew closer to my parents and resolved a lot of our issues helping my mom get through treatment.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Like that Martin Shkreli creep in the news right now. Disgusts me that such people even exist.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #32
mrmaczaps
Banned

Cancer does suck. My Gram had had multiple forms of "simple" cancer and beaten it actually a few times, then about a year or so ago now, she just stopped eating very much and not having energy and lots of pain... She just thought "I'm old and I keep busy" and fast forward to mid-May and she winds up in the ER and the drs says they can't find what's wrong and send her home. A month later shes not eating at all, moved to my aunts home and then taken to the ER again only to find out she has cancer in her hip and across everything in her midsection... It finally beat her about 9 days after she turned 88. It's been six months now and it still sucks.

We're kind of stuck with it until we do away with a lot of the chemicals used to cause cancers... I honestly don't think the world will ever eradicate cancer completely though... Sad as that sounds.

Thankfully my brain tumor is (as far as the drs have guessed) not cancerous.... Anywho.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

My cousin-in-law has had it return unfortunately. Woman is still in her 30s, three daughters (the oldest from a prior marriage graduating high school this year, the other two only 9 and 4). She'd already fought breast cancer (that turned out to be some kind of rare cancer rather than regular breast cancer) for some years. She eventually had a double mastectomy. Was fine for a little while, but then either last year or late 2014 they found tumors in her lungs. They weren't sure if she could even handle more treatments, but she got through that and they managed to make the tumors disappear.

She just had an entire body scan done in December and there was no sign of anything. And now only two months later she started having problems and they've found two tumors in her brain. One in the top that they can't take out, and one already the size of a golf ball that's affecting her motor skills and speech that they're going to try to remove. Once again, it's still this same rare thing, some kind of carcinoma.

Life is just so cruel sometimes. She's not much older than I am, I can't even fathom being diagnosed with that at this age and knowing there may be no way out. Because at this point what can they even do? Even if they could somehow remove both tumors, it's clear this thing is just going to keep on coming back. Her mother died years ago of a rare, fast moving cancer in her bladder. I believe she also lost either a grandmother or aunt as well... In their case it strongly sounds like there has to be some kind of genetic factor there. Her poor daughters, likely to lose their mother this young and then have to always keep an eye on themselves as they get a little older. So sad.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm so sorry for all of you guys who are also or have dealt with this horrible disease.

Hang in there, all of you guys... we know where you're coming from.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #35
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

So just got back from spending the week at my moms. She was doing very well. She has six cents stop chemo. But it help give her a lot of energy and relieved a lot of the pain. She also mentioned that she might be reevaluated and she might stop hospice care. But the family doesn't know how likely that is. But it was great to see her and spend time with her and my family

love you mom...
Quote:
--- @Ceejay
Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #36
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Some sad news. Sunday afternoon got a call from my sis, mom wasn't doing well urged me and my wife to come quickly. Left work and head to parents and sisters. Stopped the night due to urging from my father. Woke up next ready to book it the rest of the way. Around ten got a call from my sister mom had passed away peacefully earlier that morning. My sister set the phone next to her body I said final words, before her body was taken(donated to science as she always wanted). Arive hours later. Spending time with family. Loads of emotions

PS I know it might be weird posting but I find this an outlet for my emotion to get it out. I appreciate all the kind words, thoughts.

love you mom...
Quote:
--- @Ceejay
Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by samxsteal View Post
Some sad news. Sunday afternoon got a call from my sis, mom wasn't doing well urged me and my wife to come quickly. Left work and head to parents and sisters. Stopped the night due to urging from my father. Woke up next ready to book it the rest of the way. Around ten got a call from my sister mom had passed away peacefully earlier that morning. My sister set the phone next to her body I said final words, before her body was taken(donated to science as she always wanted). Arive hours later. Spending time with family. Loads of emotions

PS I know it might be weird posting but I find this an outlet for my emotion to get it out. I appreciate all the kind words, thoughts.
Deepest sympathies for your loss.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #38
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

So sorry, Sam. Condolences to you and your family, and sending mental hugs your way.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #39
Jephael
That whack job behind you

The girl in my avatar and profile pic had to have a tumor removed a while back. I asked her about it earlier today since I'm having my own little scare with a tiny little growth up my rectum. I'm thinking about coining the phrase #lumpinmyrump Gonna get it looked at next Thursday, so anybody who considers me a friend here, please keep me in your prayers.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #40
Powder
So tired of this place

So sorry to hear that, Sam. My condolences.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote