The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 02:33 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Have to agree. "New52" would have had merit if "Brightest Day" hadn't perfectly set the stage for the future of the DCU like 2 months beforehand.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:41 AM   #22
TommyT
Banned

Remember that time I told you all Disney was considering the purchase of DC?

Lol.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:01 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Remember that time I told you all Disney was considering the purchase of DC?
Well... yes, but it's like Apple considering the purchase of Android, or vice versa. The other party has to actually be wanting to sell. And while I can see why WB/AT&T might consider shedding this or that, it's hard to believe anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together would consider selling off freaking Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. But it's very possible in this day and age. Who knows.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:51 AM   #24
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well... yes, but it's like Apple considering the purchase of Android, or vice versa. The other party has to actually be wanting to sell. And while I can see why WB/AT&T might consider shedding this or that, it's hard to believe anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together would consider selling off freaking Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. But it's very possible in this day and age. Who knows.
I didn’t invent the rumour, lol, I heard it.

And yeah, realistically, DC has been an incredible headache, nobody knows what to do with the characters in 2020.

Star Wars was a juggernaut, now? Its a disaster, save for the mandelorian. Nobody wants to touch it. Superman and friends has found themselves in the same boat- its too toxic, and a mis step can be career ending. Too big, too expensive, to fickle a fanbase.

Dc has had more missed than hits, outside of Wonder Woman and Joker, nothing gas been a legitimate success, despite your claims that Suicide Squad did well, the fall out was disastrous.

This is prime time for acquisition.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Who knows how Suicide Squad did. They posted their budget then reshot like half of the movie and "forgot" to update it. Still, must have been enough to warrant a "sort of sequel" and a spinoff (Birds of Box Office failure).
Old 02-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #26
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Who knows how Suicide Squad did. They posted their budget then reshot like half of the movie and "forgot" to update it. Still, must have been enough to warrant a "sort of sequel" and a spinoff (Birds of Box Office failure).
It was the sales if Harley Quinn merch that got everyone’s attention.
That was it, that was all. The popularity of Robbie in the role, was hard to ignore.

The film was a flop, hence the Gunn reboot.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

In light of this Ethan Van Sciver, who had conversations with at a forum I used to visit is following up an earlier discussion about DC layoffs and DC's bleak future. He suggested that if 5G fails, which it will then DC is shutdown as a comics company. I am a traditionalist who rejected the New 52 and would have accepted Barbara paraplegic over the Batman direction I was loving over the New 52 direction. It was darker and hard to recognize in its attempt to be relevant. I preferred the Rebirth concept. The 5G is likened to the New 52. A success of a few months that alienates what you already have in a customer base. Most everything DC has done that I did not like was all Dan Didio. I admit my favorite time at DC after the Bronze Age was 2006 to 2010. Dan Didio was a company executive,but Paul was the head and as soon as Paul was removed the New 52 was developed and Didio moved up to oversee it from behind the scenes. I looked for it to fail and I hope 5G does not happen. However just because of these drastic overalls that I a traditionalist fan who wanted Diduo gone should not be forced to root for an unwanted concept to succeed so the company will not fold. Why can Dan not have been fired years ago and the company continue on in the comic medium without his hair brained schemes.

This is an article on Van Sciver's follow up about previous discussion following Didio being ousted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cosmicb...n-sciver%3famp

Where did Jurgens get this idea? I have only seen negative interactions between him and fans in Charlotte.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedanjur...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Here is more, he was fired for fostering a poor work environment.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ave-dc-comics/

Never cared much for the comics he wrote, but I am like minded with Rob Liefield on this. He also mentioned that the Didiot got a nice severance package.
https://mobile.twitter.com/robertlie...69213361082368

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 02-22-2020 at 08:44 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

Dan Jurgens is nothing if not the ultimate company man, and he also exudes class. Frankly I've never heard him say a negative word about anyone under any circumstances. Maybe he actually gets along with the guy, who knows? Lord knows I've been close with a lot of people who everyone has nothing but negative words for and about; sometimes people are different behind closed doors or to a man, even if they have questionable opinions or make questionable decisions.

Kinda like how it's hip to rip on Eric Bischoff with extreme prejudice, but anyone who's actually hung out with the dude can tell you he's one of the nicest guys around. People with really hard jobs up top in billion-dollar corporations don't always make the most popular decisions, and a lot of times there are reasons for that which you or I may not be privy to.

Not trying to go out of my way to defend DiDio, by any means, but I'm sure a lot of people in the business do get along with him.
---------------

Anyways, this sucks if it ends up turning for the worst. I know comics as a physical medium is inevitably - and sadly - going to die out sooner rather than later no matter what, but if DC ends up dying out for the same reasons WCW did - because the wrong soulless corporation got their hooks into it and just decided to sh*tcan it to cut costs - that would be tragic. Hopefully it won't come to that.
----------------

Regarding DC movie "successes", Aquaman made over a billion, I think that was pretty successful. That one might actually get a sequel that's not sh*tty, and not even Wonder Woman is gonna be able to say that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:05 AM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Didio is being allowed to finish his Metal Men series at the company

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...-metal-men-12/

Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson, the granddaughter of DC's founder, is not happy with Didio's sacking

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ler-nicholson/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:10 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Dan Jurgens is nothing if not the ultimate company man, and he also exudes class.
I've met him many times. I love that guy.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:21 AM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

This is one of those "I want to see if I can skin you, then eat you, in a ritual to thereby absorb your spiritual essence and all of your experiences and memories into myself so that we in essence become One Being" kinda situations.

Because he's my favorite comics' creator ever and one of the few people in the industry I'd probably mark out over. Sadly, haven't had a chance to meet him yet. So I'm quite jealous.

I do have a copy of Superman #82 signed by him, though, but I didn't meet him, my Dad bought it someplace.

I did however meet Romeo Tanghal about 6 months after Kyle Rayner's run on Green Lantern started, though. True story, he and my Dad both had massive heart attacks around the same time and were roommates in the hospital. My Dad told him I was a fan so he asked me to bring him some books to sign, which I still have. He also did some sketches of Superman and Green Lantern on some of those paper placemats they give you. I still have those, too, but they sadly got a little bit scuffed around the edges during one of our many moves.

Really swell fella. Nice guy. Apparently drawing/inking comics is a lot more stressful than one would think, because apparently his incident was less lifestyle-related and more stress-related, at least based on what he said at the time. Anyway, that was a great experience.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

Disney isn't going to be the publisher for DC. Not gonna happen - we are so far removed from that scenerio. DC would have to go bankrupt and literally go under amidst a restructuring.

What makes more sense is:
-that DC would go bankrupt
-Investors from Warner Brothers itself would rally and reorganize to buy DC under a new banner from AT&T to save it
-It'd be parsed out as a separate entity under LLC and eventually resume publishing.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Ethan Van Sciver apparently has inside intel that now -- and this isn't necessarily connected to Didio's departure -- if the 5G event fails (where all series end and begin a few years in the future with like a new, black Superman, yet another GL, etc.) then DC Comics itself will be shuttered. In terms of making monthly comics. That'll be that.
Hope not. Getting rid of Didio seems like a good idea... as long as somebody good is brought up to replace him.

Quote:
Huh. Yeah, seems about right. But what happens to 5G now? And if it still breathes, then are the stakes the same? And if 5G dies with him... what then?

Also, while I'm sure he probably pushed it out of a lack of idea and the knowledge that New52 DID (temporarily) spike sales, in history he HATES legacy characters. He made sure and undo all the Wally, Kyle type stuff. Nightwing would be long dead if he'd had his way (for years he had this strange obsession with killing him off).
5G always sounded like a terrible idea. Wouldn't mind seeing it crash and burn.

He hates the legacy characters, which is super frustrating, because they're usually my favorites. Nightwing, Cassandra Cain, etc...
Old 02-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #35
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hope not. Getting rid of Didio seems like a good idea... as long as somebody good is brought up to replace him.

5G always sounded like a terrible idea. Wouldn't mind seeing it crash and burn.

He hates the legacy characters, which is super frustrating, because they're usually my favorites. Nightwing, Cassandra Cain, etc...
This inspired me to make a thread about the blessing and curse of legacy characters. There is a bigger topic here. With 5 G why not let the actual legacy characters embrace it? Characters who are made up on a whim don't work out to take on a legacy. Linda Danvers is better than Jonathan among the many examples where each happens to be Caucasian.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
This inspired me to make a thread about the blessing and curse of legacy characters. There is a bigger topic here. With 5 G why not let the actual legacy characters embrace it? Characters who are made up on a whim don't work out to take on a legacy. Linda Danvers is better than Jonathan among the many examples where each happens to be Caucasian.
5G is not supposed to involve any preexisting legacy characters, but instead create entirely new and "diverse" ones.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #37
AquaParade
Banned

Dick and Damian would have been Batman and Robin for years, if I had it my way. "Return of Bruce Wayne" would have been a big event from the last few years.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #38
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Dick and Damian would have been Batman and Robin for years, if I had it my way. "Return of Bruce Wayne" would have been a big event from the last few years.
Same here. I don't care much for Damien, but it allowed Dick to grow into what it was avoided for him to grow into the true and only successor to Batman while making it his own at the same time.Also, the inverse of the light-hearted/brocading pair. I bought every issue with Dick Grayson under the cowl.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

F*ck Damien Wayne.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #40
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
F*ck Damien Wayne.