The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #641
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Looks like John Constantine got the Rebirth Treatment . Was in a comic shop today and found DC Rebirth The Hellblazer. Its up to Issue 3

hope its as good as the 80's Vertigo one is

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 11-15-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #642
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Getting REALLY sick of Tom King.

He promises me a story arc with one of my favorite antagonists, and then they barely feature at all.

"Night of the Monster Men"... all monsters, practically no Hugo Strange. Three pages at most? And the story is terrible.

"I Am Suicide"... all WTF, practically no Bane. And the story is terrible.

Not really sure why I should even bother with this title anymore.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #643
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, I'm close to dropping King's Batman entirely.

Nightwing#9 was the most fun I've had with that title yet, but then, I only stopped boycotting it this week because Superman was in it. Nice to see him be the reason Dick opts to go to Bludhaven (apparently, in a fresh retcon, he thinks he's never been there before)

Jon and Damian got a couple of cute moments together in Superman.

I was more interested in what they're setting up for Lois going up against Ivy in Trinity than I am in the trinity being subjected to the White Mercy.

Cyborg is fun, but the art just caved in on itself
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #644
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post

Nightwing#9 was the most fun I've had with that title yet, but then, I only stopped boycotting it this week because Superman was in it. Nice to see him be the reason Dick opts to go to Bludhaven (apparently, in a fresh retcon, he thinks he's never been there before)

Jon and Damian got a couple of cute moments together in Superman.

I was more interested in what they're setting up for Lois going up against Ivy in Trinity than I am in the trinity being subjected to the White Mercy.

Cyborg is fun, but the art just caved in on itself
Curious, what do you have against the current Nightwing title? I've enjoyed it alright, though nothing has ever come close to topping the original Nightwing run in Bludhaven with Blockbuster. At least he's back in a mask and not running around playing James Bond. That was a weird time.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #645
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Getting REALLY sick of Tom King.

He promises me a story arc with one of my favorite antagonists, and then they barely feature at all.

"Night of the Monster Men"... all monsters, practically no Hugo Strange. Three pages at most? And the story is terrible.

"I Am Suicide"... all WTF, practically no Bane. And the story is terrible.

Not really sure why I should even bother with this title anymore.
Quote:
i just don't think Tom King is a good fit for Batman. feels like he was just thrown on the title for no other reason than him being the flavor of the month star writer.
i haven't enjoyed one thing he's written for the character since he started.
i like what he's done with Catwoman even less.

the conclusion to the Super Sons prequel in Superman #11 felt a bit rushed, but it was still fun.
i really thought it was going to go for more than just two issues.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:15 AM   #646
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Curious, what do you have against the current Nightwing title?
The Dick/Babs drama annoys me, it has ever since they got married in Convergence and then they just conveniently forgot because of Flashpoint and are back to will they/won't they, and Babs character has taken so many steps backwards I've practically written her off as nothing more than a clone.

I want Dick to grow up at last, Babs too, and until they do I'm not touching either of their books.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #647
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i just don't think Tom King is a good fit for Batman. feels like he was just thrown on the title for no other reason than him being the flavor of the month star writer.
i haven't enjoyed one thing he's written for the character since he started.
i like what he's done with Catwoman even less.
And we thought New52 Catwoman was bad. With that lady writer who was on crack... don't even remember her name; I blocked it out of my mind.

Quote:
The Dick/Babs drama annoys me, it has ever since they got married in Convergence and then they just conveniently forgot because of Flashpoint and are back to will they/won't they, and Babs character has taken so many steps backwards I've practically written her off as nothing more than a clone.

I want Dick to grow up at last, Babs too, and until they do I'm not touching either of their books.
Babs hasn't been in a book since Gail Simone left. You can't tell me HipsterBabs is Barbara Gordon.

HipsterBabs is, I'm pretty sure, THE worst character direction in all the New 52.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #648
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
And we thought New52 Catwoman was bad. With that lady writer who was on crack... don't even remember her name; I blocked it out of my mind.
you can say that again! Catwoman's ONLY good arc in the entire New 52 was the first 6 issues by Judd Winick and Guillem March.
everything since was pretty much crud. i did NOT like that whole crime boss story either.

Ann Nocenti. i actually bought all those terrible issues.
a fools hope that it'd actually improve! YUP, i definitely have dain bramage!!
Old 11-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #649
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

Babs hasn't been in a book since Gail Simone left. You can't tell me HipsterBabs is Barbara Gordon.

HipsterBabs is, I'm pretty sure, THE worst character direction in all the New 52.
Hey,at the very least Barbara Gordon IS Batgirl! The main factor is right. Also, Gail Simone started off wonderfully,but after 15 issues it got dark and creepy and Babs didn't seem like Babs. The early 70s' backup in Detective Comics it echoed disappeared almost immediately.

CKD, if you do read any of those Hugo Strange story arcs I gave you post your thoughts in my pre-crisis Batman thread. Myconius and I at the very least are interested.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #650
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Hey,at the very least Barbara Gordon IS Batgirl! The main factor is right. Also, Gail Simone started off wonderfully,but after 15 issues it got dark and creepy and Babs didn't seem like Babs. The early 70s' backup in Detective Comics it echoed disappeared almost immediately.

CKD, if you do read any of those Hugo Strange story arcs I gave you post your thoughts in my pre-crisis Batman thread. Myconius and I at the very least are interested.
Only if you and Myconius go chime in on "Batman villains redeemed."

I will be reading those arcs over Thanksgiving week while editing my novel.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #651
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

Link me up and I will.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #652
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:

Batman villains redeemed?

what's that? is sounds interesting enough.

Quote:
Strange Apparitions remains my favorite Hugo Strange story ever done.
i did mildly enjoy the legends of the dark knight story 'Prey'.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #653
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

read The Hellblazer rebirth issue 1. Pretty solid Lots of nods to the Vertigo Era Constantine. The artwork makes John kind of resemble the Matt Ryan John from TV. Only thing that sucks is No cursing in the comic. The swear words are changed to Pentagrams. Its a teen rated Comic let John Swear.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #654
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Hey,at the very least Barbara Gordon IS Batgirl! The main factor is right.
When I got into comics, Babs wasn't Batgirl, she was Oracle, and should have stayed that way.

New Superman, Aquaman, and Batgirl are in the red

http://www.newsarama.com/31730-on-th...your-help.html

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-18-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #655
myconius
Abby Normal

as much as i love Killing Joke, it should have never been allowed to be cannon.

it totally contradicts the intended "KILLING JOKE" of Joker finally pushing Batman too far and Batman silencing his laughter in the final panels.

that theory seemed so absurd when i first heard it.

but it's really the only way that ending makes ANY sense!

otherwise why else would Batman be laughing with the Joker at the end?
Old 11-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #656
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Redeemed Villains in Batman:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56861

I dunno, the Joker doesn't make ANY sense when you think about it. He killed Jason, crippled Babs, killed Sarah Essen, drove Harleen insane (debatable, I realize), and has the highest bodycount in all of Gotham City (if not the entire DC universe). Of anyone, Batman should have killed him long ago.

So the ending of "Killing Joke" doesn't have to make any sense for me, because I know nothing about the Joker makes sense.

I guess you can explain it away as the fact that Batman is truly as insane as the Joker, except he's on the side of "good" (debatable). The same way that Batman knows he really belongs inside Arkham Asylum, with the Joker, Harvey, and the rest of the inmates (Serious House on a Serious Earth).
Old 11-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #657
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Redeemed Villains in Batman:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56861

I dunno, the Joker doesn't make ANY sense when you think about it. He killed Jason, crippled Babs, killed Sarah Essen, drove Harleen insane (debatable, I realize), and has the highest bodycount in all of Gotham City (if not the entire DC universe). Of anyone, Batman should have killed him long ago.

So the ending of "Killing Joke" doesn't have to make any sense for me, because I know nothing about the Joker makes sense.

I guess you can explain it away as the fact that Batman is truly as insane as the Joker, except he's on the side of "good" (debatable). The same way that Batman knows he really belongs inside Arkham Asylum, with the Joker, Harvey, and the rest of the inmates (Serious House on a Serious Earth).
but the thing about The Killing Joke is it was never even supposed to be cannon in the first place.

so it's not even worth trying to make sense of it.

someone after the fact decided to make it canon just from the Cash Cow aspect of it.

profitability over creativity.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #658
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
but the thing about The Killing Joke is it was never even supposed to be cannon in the first place.

so it's not even worth trying to make sense of it.

someone after the fact decided to make it canon just from the Cash Cow aspect of it.

profitability over creativity.
Well, it WAS a good story. And DC did very good things with Barbara after the story, so I'm fine with them retroactively making it canon. (Even if it was a bit "women in fridges.")
Old 11-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #659
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Well, it WAS a good story. And DC did very good things with Barbara after the story, so I'm fine with them retroactively making it canon. (Even if it was a bit "women in fridges.")
Killing Joke was an AWESOME story!
but forcing it into continuity diminished it's impact i think?

i wasn't a fan of them turning Barbara into Oracle.
many writers just wrote her as a grumpy shrew.

in a lot of the recent stories right before flashpoint, there really wasn't anything new they could have done with her character that wasn't already done.

Gail Simone took her into the best direction she could have with the "miracle recovery" story-line.
it's just that it eventually became TOO grim with her thinking she killed her brother and her father wanting to arrest her alter ego.
then her father shooting her boyfriend's (wheeverhewas?)
Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #660
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Killing Joke was an AWESOME story!
but forcing it into continuity diminished it's impact i think?

i wasn't a fan of them turning Barbara into Oracle.
many writers just wrote her as a grumpy shrew.

in a lot of the recent stories right before flashpoint, there really wasn't anything new they could have done with her character that wasn't already done.

Gail Simone took her into the best direction she could have with the "miracle recovery" story-line.
it's just that it eventually became TOO grim with her thinking she killed her brother and her father wanting to arrest her alter ego.
then her father shooting her boyfriend's (wheeverhewas?)
So many cool storylines came out of Babs' crippling, though.

#1. She became Oracle
#2. She formed the Birds of Prey
#3. Batgirl became a legacy identity, leading to Helena, Cassandra, and Stephanie

Gail Simone COULD have told some good stories, but they were mostly pretty gruesome and dark. I think that's a bad fit for Batgirl. And I HATE that DC made James Gordon Jr a villain (thanks a lot, Snyder). None of those storylines appeals to me OR were handled well. (Gordon vows revenge on Batgirl for killing a KNOWN killer? Please.)

Also, if DC had to give Babs her legs back, I wish that had been the first storyline and not something pretty much just handwaved and left unsaid. It happened, but it wasn't important enough to show us? I think that would have made an amazing first story arc.

PLUS, the New 52 was incredibly sexist when it came to the Batman supporting cast. ALL four Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian) survived to have all of their history more or less kept intact, but three of the four Batgirls were completely retconned out of existence and then brought back years later, with ALL of their histories erased? Helena, Cass, and Stephanie ALL deserved better.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman