The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 AM   #41
newfan
Mad Scientist

Weller just attended a comic on on London, signing robo merch, maybe he would want to do this.

Apparantly they may go with their original idea to the 2nd movie which was where robo was blown up and switched back on years later. Not sure if it will be 25 years but if they did this story would work for returning characters getting an appearance.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Apparantly they may go with their original idea to the 2nd movie which was where robo was blown up and switched back on years later. Not sure if it will be 25 years but if they did this story would work for returning characters getting an appearance.
Maybe, but I'm not sure what returning characters would be worth seeing. Including a 70 year-old Lewis just to include Lewis doesn't seem like it would add much. I guess his wife, particularly his now-adult son? One of the strongest things about "Prime Directives" to me was the father-adult son reunion.

Mostly I just want to see RoboCop as a symbol of yore, waking up in a weak, over legislatured future and him just being this relic that's looked down on... yet gets results better than even the modern day RoboCops, or whatever they have.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #43
newfan
Mad Scientist

I get the feeling it may be something like that. So far as Lewis, as we said before, her role would likely be different and smaller. I'd appreciate an inclusion if they could fit her in and it worked, I mean people this age do act still.
I suppose I have to prepare myself for poor robo biting it in this one maybe.
Still, hoping this goes ahead.

Last edited by newfan; 08-14-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I suppose I have to prepare myself for poor robo biting it in this one maybe.
Better that than if we start hearing hubbub about, "The first in a planned trilogy..."
Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #45
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Better that than if we start hearing hubbub about, "The first in a planned trilogy..."
Well he hasn't died yet but if they may do it here, more so if they use Weller? You know to kind of finish it. I don't want to hear planned trilogy either, if the movie did justify a 2nd then all the more Robocop but they really should plan one at a time, As should some others where they have had failures
Old 08-15-2019, 02:33 AM   #46
newfan
Mad Scientist

Blomkamp tweeted that he is off this, said MGM needs or wants to shoot it now and he currently shooting a horror/thriller.

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/st...87748535439360
Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #47
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Blomkamp tweeted that he is off this, said MGM needs or wants to shoot it now and he currently shooting a horror/thriller.

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/st...87748535439360
Considering how long it's been since the last RoboCop movie, who cares if they have to wait another year or two?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My question is, wtf does Blomkamp have blowing up his skirt that's so important that he needs to leave freakin' Robocop Returns?

Something happened and it wasn't a scheduling thing.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #49
newfan
Mad Scientist

It does seem a little abrupt, on the 29th June he posted that the script was being written and when someone asked about the suit (in relation to it being original) he replied something like '1million% original' Also he'd been in talks with Weller too....then this, like 6 weeks later.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #50
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My question is, wtf does Blomkamp have blowing up his skirt that's so important that he needs to leave freakin' Robocop Returns?

Something happened and it wasn't a scheduling thing.
Way easier to believe it was a creative issue. He may have already been feeling discouraged, because I’m pretty sure he wanted Peter Weller to return, but Peter Weller wasn’t interested, if I remember correctly.

I want to see whatever Neil does next. I’m such a huge fan of District 9 and still believe he could pull of something cool.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Way easier to believe it was a creative issue. He may have already been feeling discouraged, because I’m pretty sure he wanted Peter Weller to return, but Peter Weller wasn’t interested, if I remember correctly.
Or maybe he was told "no way" to a hard R rating.

Quote:
I want to see whatever Neil does next. I’m such a huge fan of District 9 and still believe he could pull of something cool.
He's kind of becoming the king of disappointing people, though. First Alien 5, now this?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #52
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah I have seen a couple fans complain about the same thing with him in light of this news.

So far as Weller, I caught a video (not sure where to look for it now) where Weller was saying he wouldn't do anything Robocop unless there is money/payment, otherwise he's done. Obviously there would be for a movie but I don't know if talks progressed any further (amount he'd want and what they could pay etc.)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
So far as Weller, I caught a video (not sure where to look for it now) where Weller was saying he wouldn't do anything Robocop unless there is money/payment, otherwise he's done.
That's a pretty dumb thing to say, for obvious reasons. But he's been complaining about how miserable being in that suit was for decades.

Pretty sure, though...

#1. Of course he'll f***ing do it.

#2. The Robocop suit could probably be made a lot more comfortably now in 2019, plus with better cooling tech, etc..

#3. The actual need for him to spend extended periods of time in the suit is pretty minimal. Alternately, as they really just need his face and voice, the whole movie could be his face mo-capped onto a stunt double's.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #54
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Didn't Robocop have 3 4 and 5 called the prime directives, and than ended the series on a decent tv show?(Yeah I have it on DVD)
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Didn't Robocop have 3 4 and 5 called the prime directives, and than ended the series on a decent tv show?(Yeah I have it on DVD)
Eh... no. There's Robocop 1-3, then the Robocop TV series which I struggled to get through, and then a few years later there was the Robocop: Prime Directives 4 part miniseries which I actually remember liking quite a bit. I don't think Prime Directives is compatible with the TV show because of what happens with his son.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #56
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
It was a separate Canadian (I think) series, which is a not considered to be a proper sequel to the movies. I didn't like it, since RoboCop felt like a background character and focus of the show was on the boring newcomer nonames.

The news about Robo 4 is disappointing. I think, Blowkamp (sic?) could have nailed the town set by the first movie or at least provide some adequate alternative. As long as it wouldn't be grimderp, like Robo 2 or castrated childish trash, like Robo 3 or producer-ridden mess like RoboReboot, it could've been good.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, let's wait and see who they bring in as the new director before we write it off completely. It is a bit disheartening that they want to rush it out, though... if that's even true.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #58
Luke795
Hench Mutant

There were also 2 Robocop cartoons. RoboCop: The Animated Series in 1988 with only 12 episodes and RoboCop: Alpha Commando in 1998 with 40 episodes.
Luke795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 AM   #59
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Arrow video are putting out a brand new 4K restoration of the original movie, both the directors and theatrical cuts will be available on two discs, along with a standard definition version of the international tv cut that contains alternate lines and scenes

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-v...onus-features/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Robocop Returns" has found its director:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/abe-fors...bocop-returns/