The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Tourists

What do you think about them? Some people genuinely hate tourists, it seems. I personally don't have a problem with tourists per se. We're all tourists at some point or another, so it seems nonsensical to hate tourists. Tourism does bring some bad things along as well, but it's not the tourists' fault. and ofc it brings positive things such as money.

I can tell you however that the tourism industry is kind of a bad industry to work in. It releis on a lot of seasonal badly paid jobs. I've heard many stories about 18-21 year olds doing unpaid internships at hotels and such just so the owners could save money they'd otherwise spend on paychecks for a few months.

Now as for rude tourists... haven't really met any tbh. Most of them just mind their own business really. I never really see any misbehaving.

What about you? Thoughts on tourists as a whole?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

As someone who used to live in New York, the only tourists that I took issue with were the inconsiderate ones who have no environmental awareness. By that, I mean doing stuff like standing in the middle of the street without concern for the flow of foot traffic, getting in people's way for the sake of picture taking, walking in the path of moving cars, etc. Otherwise, they're fine. They've got every right to visit, take pictures, ask questions, just don't be a selfish obstruction. That goes for anyone anywhere, though, not just tourists.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
As someone who used to live in New York, the only tourists that I took issue with were the inconsiderate ones who have no environmental awareness. By that, I mean doing stuff like standing in the middle of the street without concern for the flow of foot traffic, getting in people's way for the sake of picture taking, walking in the path of moving cars, etc. Otherwise, they're fine. They've got every right to visit, take pictures, ask questions, just don't be a selfish obstruction. That goes for anyone anywhere, though, not just tourists.
I miss life before selfie sticks.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
Roseangelo
Emperor

I live in a small tourist town and the only real issue is navigating around them. Traffic can get clogged on the weekends, especially in the summer, and even moreso if there is a specific event in town. Also, because it is a tourist town, parking in all of the popular tourist areas is heavily regulated, so you have to be a bit savvy to know where to find all the free parking (and even then there's still probably a time limit). And especially in the last two years, playing Pokemon GO regularly has required navigating around all the tourists and becoming very savvy about parking.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:17 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I live in a small tourist town and the only real issue is navigating around them. Traffic can get clogged on the weekends, especially in the summer, and even moreso if there is a specific event in town. Also, because it is a tourist town, parking in all of the popular tourist areas is heavily regulated, so you have to be a bit savvy to know where to find all the free parking (and even then there's still probably a time limit). And especially in the last two years, playing Pokemon GO regularly has required navigating around all the tourists and becoming very savvy about parking.
Tourists here clog u buses and the metro at times. that can be frustrating, yes. It can be a torture to ride a train during rush hour with all the locals coming back from work plus tourists.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I love tourists.
I think it's really awesome that people want to spend their off time in a city that I love so much. And it serves to remind me exactly how great the place I live is.

They are way less of a headache then the fresh batch of students we get every September, who are just oblivious and do things like keep their backpacks on their back while riding the bus.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I love tourists.
I think it's really awesome that people want to spend their off time in a city that I love so much. And it serves to remind me exactly how great the place I live is.

They are way less of a headache then the fresh batch of students we get every September, who are just oblivious and do things like keep their backpacks on their back while riding the bus.
They probably read about it and want to see it for themselves. They might like it or not. Doesn't affect me one way or the other. I didn't build anything where I live.

Lots of not so great places seem to have a lot of tourism, btw. It's not just great and wealthy places. And you only truly know how "great" a place is if you happen to live there. When you visit a place you mostly see the good parts.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Never had issue with them. Although I guess it probably helps that we're not exactly a tourist area. The beach areas get more of it, but I don't live in that end of the state. Other than that, this state couldn't figure out a way to draw tourists if it tried, outside of maybe history buffs. We rely more on the "tax free shopping" draw than tourism. I guess you could call it retail tourism? lol

Being a small state, our equivalent is more just dealing with a lot of people/vehicles from neighboring and nearby states...all the time. No issue with them other than the bad drivers I want to tell to go home.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Never had issue with them. Although I guess it probably helps that we're not exactly a tourist area. The beach areas get more of it, but I don't live in that end of the state. Other than that, this state couldn't figure out a way to draw tourists if it tried, outside of maybe history buffs. We rely more on the "tax free shopping" draw than tourism. I guess you could call it retail tourism? lol

Being a small state, our equivalent is more just dealing with a lot of people/vehicles from neighboring and nearby states...all the time. No issue with them other than the bad drivers I want to tell to go home.
The worst tourists I've seen where English tourists at beach areas. It's like the lowest common denominator just visits those places. Even the English themselves are embarrassed of those people.