Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) 42 60.00%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) 19 27.14%
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (201 6 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #21
Sumac
Banned

2003 series.
I don't care how close it was to the original comic books, because, I haven't read them, but the characters and their development, pacing and story arcs have been some of the best I've seen in any animated shows I've ever watched.

Yes, by the end of its run it had suffered due to "kiddification", but first 4 seasons were one of the best stuff I've ever seen.

1987 show is good for what it was intended to be - kiddy show with great and fun characters marketing toys, but I can't put it higher than 2003, since its story was rather...mediocre.

Even though I love 87 show and it was my childhood I still like it and 03 equally, but I give my due where it's due. When it comes to characters and story 2003 show blows competition away. Oh, and it gave us Turtles Forever!!

I haven't watched 2012 show to the end, since its' drop in quality in the beginning of the season 3. I can stomach only so many parodies of good movies at once. After this, show have lost me and I've stopped caring about it altogether. Not that I cared about very much after somewhat disappointing second season.

I haven't watched anything from Rise of TMNT. I watched its trailer and I can say, it's not "my" thing at all.

P.S.
I think the last option in the poll should be fixed - it displays smiley face instead of a number.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #22
Wesley
Mad Scientist

@Sumac I agree with you about ‘03 and ‘87.

Unpopular opinion: ‘03 is way better than Batman: TAS which doesn’t hold up well for me. Or maybe I’m just not a big Batman fan.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #23
M.A.C.O.
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post

P.S.
I think the last option in the poll should be fixed - it displays smiley face instead of a number.
Yes, I noticed after I made the poll. A number "8" next to a right parentheses ")" makes a "cool emoji" face. Once polls are made, you can't edit them. So, that's a bummer. But everyone knows when Rise of TMNT came out.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
As much as I loved both 87 and 03, the Nick 2012 one just seems to have something for everyone, and the fact they used so many former VAs from other series or movies cements it. It tops the list for creativiy, nostalgia, call-back characters and plots, and humor. As well as being darker and more daring in many ways.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

Canceled out by "April and Casey are kids now Just Because" and "Vast acres of real estate given to April/Don shipping".

All of that was extremely pointless and why I gave up on 2012 relatively early. I HAVE given random episodes a chance several times since then and it just really ain't for me. I groan and roll my eyes even more than at the FW cartoon, which I never even thought was possible. Could I just be catching random "bad" episodes? Maybe, but I doubt it. I never even made it to the movie parody stuff, which is where it seems most people lost interest.

I sat down for the pilot with great enthusiasm, and thought it was pretty good, but a few episodes in and I was already getting annoyed with it. Too many choices I didn't agree with, and no patience to sit around waiting for it to get better (and given the discussions I've read and the episodes I have seen, it doesn't seem like the things I didn't like were ever improved at all, rather given increasingly more focus).

So it definitely didn't have "something for everyone" because it had absolutely zero for me. I guess I can say, the art style was alright. Given that I'm no fan of CG animation, that's actually a pretty big compliment. I don't think it's a bad show, but it never impressed me and I have very little desire to ever see it again.

Was it poorly-done? No (although there's definitely things I think they shouldn't have done). Did it entertain me? No.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's hard for me to say, I like the first 3 almost equally for completely different reasons. But as an actual series obviously the 2003 is the best written in terms of action/storytelling, etc. 2012 was also very strong through most of it, with very few complaints aside from a few fillers and such.

I love the original cartoon for the nostalgia/cheesy/sci-fi 80's plots of it all, but if you didn't grow up with it I can understand why some wouldn't care for it. The original cartoon was basically a "you had to be there" kind of thing. Although I'd still argue the very best episodes of the original cartoon are great even for people who never saw it before.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

I think if the entire 80s cartoon was the same as the first five episodes, this would be a much different conversation.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:21 AM   #28
pferreira
Foot Elite

Yeah obviously I go with the 1987 series. It grabbed my imagination and no other TMNT so far has managed to bring a style and imagination in an animation aesthetic I like. The other shows are either derivative attempts at aping some parts of the FW series or just don't hold the same appeal as the 1987 cartoon series which is fun and enjoyable. The FW series along with The Real Ghostbusters is my favourite cartoon of all time so of course I'd go with the original series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think if the entire 80s cartoon was the same as the first five episodes, this would be a much different conversation.
Good point, indeed...

It'd have been remembered as an underrated gem from the 80s and would have a cult following nowadays... and thus there'd probably be no other TMNT cartoons.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #30
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yep. Season 1 was great, even though it had its own flaws. It has the most rewatch value. If the whole series was like that, it would be better remembered.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
only the Kirby episode is good.
So, the Kirby episode is the only episode you like?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #32
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Canceled out by "April and Casey are kids now Just Because" and "Vast acres of real estate given to April/Don shipping".

All of that was extremely pointless and why I gave up on 2012 relatively early. I HAVE given random episodes a chance several times since then and it just really ain't for me. I groan and roll my eyes even more than at the FW cartoon, which I never even thought was possible. Could I just be catching random "bad" episodes? Maybe, but I doubt it. I never even made it to the movie parody stuff, which is where it seems most people lost interest.

I sat down for the pilot with great enthusiasm, and thought it was pretty good, but a few episodes in and I was already getting annoyed with it. Too many choices I didn't agree with, and no patience to sit around waiting for it to get better (and given the discussions I've read and the episodes I have seen, it doesn't seem like the things I didn't like were ever improved at all, rather given increasingly more focus).

So it definitely didn't have "something for everyone" because it had absolutely zero for me. I guess I can say, the art style was alright. Given that I'm no fan of CG animation, that's actually a pretty big compliment. I don't think it's a bad show, but it never impressed me and I have very little desire to ever see it again.

Was it poorly-done? No (although there's definitely things I think they shouldn't have done). Did it entertain me? No.

I think you got caught up in the hype on the shipping- there really wasn't much of it after the first 1 1/2 seasons. In fact, after Casey was introduced, the focus seemed really to switch more toward their friendly rivalry, which ended up feeling more like the original movie, especially once they get to Northhampton. Those were some of the most fun episodes, especially the Speed Demon one when they built the roadster- reminded me of the scene when they were fixing the old truck in the movie. Others that stick out as great were the Big Trouble parody, and the final Shredderbattle arc, the future episodes (with no Casey or April in sight), and the Usagi and monster arcs. (And this is just me, but I found the Ice Cream Kitty music video hilarious!)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #33
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Yep. Season 1 was great, even though it had its own flaws. It has the most rewatch value. If the whole series was like that, it would be better remembered.
Why not at least make season 2 like that? Turtlemania didn't truly begin until 1989. By 1988, parents hadn't began to complain that much over too much violence in TMNT.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #34
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Why not at least make season 2 like that? Turtlemania didn't truly begin until 1989. By 1988, parents hadn't began to complain that much over too much violence in TMNT.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a fad in 1989. The first ever live-action movie pushed the fad into a phenomenon in 1990. Turtlemania was a 1990 event.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #35
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a fad in 1989. The first ever live-action movie pushed the fad into a phenomenon in 1990. Turtlemania was a 1990 event.
Bu season 3 (1989) had the most seasons.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #36
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Bu season 3 (1989) had the most seasons.
Season 3 (1989) had the most episodes of the syndicated series, but the Fred Wolf show was moved to the CBS Saturday morning lineup in the fall of 1990. Moviegoers who saw the 1990 flick made it a point to watch the weekday series shortly before and after the movie was in theaters.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-07-2019 at 10:35 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 AM   #37
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Very well-done background music as well as an amazing theme song.
Here's how I tank theme songs

1. Next Mutation (even if I don't like hiphop and rap otherwise)

2. 4 Kids (seasons 1-5)

3. Fred Wolf (seasons 8-10)

4. Fred Wolf (seasons 1-7)

4. Rise of the TMNT

5. Nickelodeon

6. Back to the Sewer and Fast Forward (I haven't heard them many times, would skip when watching it over the Youtube)

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-08-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #38
newfan
Mad Scientist

I've not heard Mutation's theme song.
Of the other show theme songs, Nick again as fav for me. (Actually I wouldn't mind the end credits as a ring tone).
Of the others, only one I didn't like and would fast forward, was fast forward. Preferred 4kids main seasons theme (and series)
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #39
Overlord

Next Mutation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Of the other show theme songs, Nick again as fav for me. (Actually I wouldn't mind the end credits as a ring tone).
Of the others, only one I didn't like and would fast forward, was fast forward. Preferred 4kids main seasons theme (and series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4F-nlT8IwI
Old 01-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #40
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Here's how I tank theme songs

1. Next Mutation

2. 4 Kids

3. Fred Wolf

4. Rise of the TMNT

5. Nickelodeon
Have you heard the Next Mutation Netflix theme? Also, how would you rank the Red Sky, Fast Forward, Back to the sewers and tales of the tmnt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Of the other show theme songs, Nick again as fav for me. (Actually I
wouldn't mind the end credits as a ring tone).
I'm not the biggest fan of the Fast Forward theme, but I like it better than the Back to the Sewers theme. I admittedly like the part of the theme where the turtles themselves speak.

"Get outta my way!"

"It's so not yesterday!"

"It's the only way to play!"

"I guess we're here to stay!"

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote