The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #101
j3h
Hench Mutant

Amazon put up a listing for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection Volume 13 (TMNT IDW Collection) HC with a May 25th 2021 release date (for mass market retailers)and Jennika on the cover with a yellow spine that is too similar to the solicited image of vol 12 featuring Old Hob.

Collects issues 90 to 100, the free comic book day issue, Macro series Raph and all of Shredder in Hell.

j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #102
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
Amazon put up a listing for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection Volume 13 (TMNT IDW Collection) HC with a May 25th 2021 release date (for mass market retailers)and Jennika on the cover with a yellow spine that is too similar to the solicited image of vol 12 featuring Old Hob.

Collects issues 90 to 100, the free comic book day issue, Macro series Raph and all of Shredder in Hell.

Sigh. I get wanting to put Jennika on the cover as quickly as they can, but I was really hoping to get Karai instead and save Jennika for Volume 14.

I mean, Karai's been a much bigger presence in IDW TMNT, and Jennika barely did anything until Issue #101 really moved her into the spotlight.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #103
Allio
Foot Elite

Yeah, 14 would have been perfect for her as it would probably have both minis
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #104
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Yeah, 14 would have been perfect for her as it would probably have both minis
It's easiest to compare the covers over on PRH, but yeah it's a pity they didn't wait until volume 14. Actually it's a bit like the Donnie and April covers being swapped around for vols 4 and 5, so it's not without precedent.
Not sure who will be on vol 14 now, but the biggest characters left that I can think of would be Karai, Baxter, Leatherhead or possibly Rat King.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:52 AM   #105
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Nice to see that 13 ends with 100. That makes 14 (or whatever they'll brand it) the PERFECT jumping-on point for me with the hardcovers. (I've been collecting the trades of everything and want to finish out the original 23 volumes, but I was waiting for the ideal opportunity to switch so it's easier to keep track and collect everything. Seems like I was correct in my assumption that the time skip would present that opportunity.)
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #106
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
Nice to see that 13 ends with 100. That makes 14 (or whatever they'll brand it) the PERFECT jumping-on point for me with the hardcovers. (I've been collecting the trades of everything and want to finish out the original 23 volumes, but I was waiting for the ideal opportunity to switch so it's easier to keep track and collect everything. Seems like I was correct in my assumption that the time skip would present that opportunity.)
Yeah, that's basically the reason behind the tpb relaunch too.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #107
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So I've put together a quick color 'swatch' below of each volumes spine and 12 and 13 are very similar so I'm hoping that 12 will possibly be a bit darker like 9 (Slash) ended up or a bit more orange maybe.

2 and 11 are also very close but there's at least a few volumes between them!

Old 09-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #108
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
So I've put together a quick color 'swatch' below of each volumes spine and 12 and 13 are very similar so I'm hoping that 12 will possibly be a bit darker like 9 (Slash) ended up or a bit more orange maybe.

2 and 11 are also very close but there's at least a few volumes between them!

https://i.imgur.com/PXCRhe5.png
I've really grown to loathe the color scheme.

We need some damn cooler colors in there. Literally cooler, opposite of warm. We need some more blues and greens. Maybe a brown, maybe a black. Throw in another red for Karai.

Getting a mite sick of all this "50 shades of puke yellow"
Old 09-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #109
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also given this ends with issue 100, this is a good place to stop if you don't care about the Mutant Town storyline.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #110
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've really grown to loathe the color scheme.

We need some damn cooler colors in there. Literally cooler, opposite of warm. We need some more blues and greens. Maybe a brown, maybe a black. Throw in another red for Karai.

Getting a mite sick of all this "50 shades of puke yellow"
Yeah I agree; of the characters I mentioned earlier I had imagined something like: Karai - dark red, Baxter - indigo/ dark purple/ violet, Leatherhead - green, Rat King - brown.

I can't think of any other characters who's key color would be a shade of green or blue.

Here's the current line up in order:

Deffo a bit weaker towards the end.

Last edited by hypered1; 09-08-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #111
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So I've been trying to work out the likely arrangement of issues for Volumes 14 and 15 which should bring us up to the ten year mark and I came up with the following:

I've included 12 and 13 for reference and the blocks of color are the known story arcs.
I think the second or third ordering are the most likely and they also could be tweaked if #120 or #125 end up being double sized like #75 or #100.
The 2nd Jennika miniseries could also move around a bit as it won't end until around April when #116 will probably release so Jen2 may even be set after that.
I'll have another look at this some time after Vol.13 releases and we'll have a better idea of the last few issues running up to August's anniversary and (presumable) release of issue #120.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #112
datactingguy
Mouser

[Didn't read high enough, reposted info my bad]
datactingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #113
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Link for Volume 13 on Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mut...9858733&sr=8-4
Old 09-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #114
datactingguy
Mouser

I have to say it is a little weird to have Jen on the cover of 13 when she could easily be on the next collection where she'll most likely have her two minis. Seems like it's jumping the gun slightly.
datactingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #115
TurtlePower96
Mouser

Been meaning to pick up the collections for a while now, and I finally have Volume 1 coming in on Thursday from Amazon.

Hoping to grab Volume 2 as well, but that seems to be the hardest one to get ahold of currently.

Are any of the volumes currently out of print?
TurtlePower96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #116
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower96 View Post
Been meaning to pick up the collections for a while now, and I finally have Volume 1 coming in on Thursday from Amazon.

Hoping to grab Volume 2 as well, but that seems to be the hardest one to get ahold of currently.

Are any of the volumes currently out of print?
I seem to remember Volume 4 being mentioned as scarce a page or two back...
Old 09-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #117
TurtlePower96
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I seem to remember Volume 4 being mentioned as scarce a page or two back...
Good to know. I'll have to grab that one soon then.
My goal is to grab at least 2 a month, but we'll see. I'd like to have them all by the time Volume 13 releases.
TurtlePower96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #118
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

The artwork on the covers of these IDW collections are superb. Probably my favorite designs and depictions of the turtles and their allies and enemies. So much character behind the drawings.

But I wonder, why did Duncan’s style change so much? I’ve seen like 3 or 4 very distinct styles from him. Is there any article that goes through this? I’m just curious. I wish he drew the turtles in the main issues more like how they look in the collections covers compared to how they started to look like from issue 5 or 6 till 11 or so. Those egg heads. Haha.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #119
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
The artwork on the covers of these IDW collections are superb. Probably my favorite designs and depictions of the turtles and their allies and enemies. So much character behind the drawings.

But I wonder, why did Duncan’s style change so much? I’ve seen like 3 or 4 very distinct styles from him. Is there any article that goes through this? I’m just curious. I wish he drew the turtles in the main issues more like how they look in the collections covers compared to how they started to look like from issue 5 or 6 till 11 or so. Those egg heads. Haha.
I don't think there's any big secret or anything, it's just naturally evolved over the past 9 years; Duncan did the art for most of the first 12 issues (a few pages were drawn by others like Mateus Santolouco for example) in 2011-12 and the first hardback released in 2015 and there's a bit of a difference even there.
Ultimately all artist's styles change a bit over time as they improve or become more comfortable with doing things a certain way.

Last edited by hypered1; 10-06-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #120
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So I've just received my copy of Volume 11 and few curious things of note about it;
firstly the Donatello Macro is included as the last issue in the volume.
It also includes the following back-up stories: Triceratots (U16-17), Mutagen Maintenance (U18 ), Woody's Invasion (U21), Dangerous Waters (U22) and Nobody Cares (U23).
The back cover and the volume's credit page both state that Universe 23 is included but only the back-up (see above) is present. (U23 & 24 will be in the next volume).
Also notably the KoR prelude has been added as the first four pages of #81 and does not have separate cover pages.
The Donatello Macro issue also does not have a back cover page, although considering the book is already a bulky 392 pages I'd say that's understandable.
Finally the bookmark ribbon is oddly a golden colour similar the ribbon in Volume 9 (Slash)

Last edited by hypered1; 10-13-2020 at 09:05 AM.