The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Your opinions and taste in TMNT nowadays compared to many years ago?

Most of us here are in our 20s-30s and have been fans of the TMNT property since we were kids. So I'm sure we all have changed some of our opinions and preferences throughout the years.

In my case:

Fred Wolf series: When I was a very young kid, this seemed like the greatest thing ever. Or at least the greatest cartoon ever. As I got in my teens I quickly began noticing its flaws. As an adult, I still have some nostalgia for it but no longer praise it and, in fact, wish the property one day finally moves on from it.

2k3 series: Shredder as an Utrom was something that took me a while to accept. But I eventually did. It fit the series quite well, tbh. And the older I get, the more I like this version and it's honestly the best TMNT version overall out there, imo. It has its flaws, sure, but it's a pretty solid cartoon series.

TMNT III: I don't think it's THAT bad anymore. Give me this over any of the Bay turds ANY DAY.

Michelangelo: When I was 5-6 years old and first watched TMNT he was my favourite. I loved the way he talked and loved his energy in the FW toon. I'm pretty sure I learned the word "dude" from him. But then Raph and Don became my faves as I got closer to my teens, and I kinda can't stand Mikey nowadays. Haven't liked him since like 2004, in fact. It's like he's become a symbolic example of the worst aspects of TMNT. He's a character meant to be liked by 10 year old kids and below.

The Next Mutation: I used to strongly resent this show and blame it for basically killing the original TMNT fad. Not to mention Venus de Milo, but nowadays the show is so irrelevant and unknown by most people that there's no point in hating it and what it represents anymore. Sure I don't care about Venus or the show, but honestly, the TMNT fad was already on a quick decline from 1993 on, and we can't hold this show responsible for killing it since it came out in 1997 already. I mean, it didn't help reviving the franchise, but the fad ending was a matter of time.

I find the Bay Turtles to have done A LOT more irreversible damage to the property... boy who'd think back in the late 90s/early 2000s that one day there'd be something Turtles related that would make TMNT III and The Next Mutation not look so bad in comparison?! History has been rather kind to both those elements, I must say.

In general: TMNT just isn't really my number one thing anymore. By it's mostly just a piece of my childhood and teenage years at this point. And I don't get excited for anything TMNT related anymore, really. Most of the stuff out there just doesn't appeal me. Tried watching a few Nick episodes and couldn't get into it. And Michael Bay almost single-handedly killed my passion for the Turtles. I feel like the standards have become too low at this point and a point of no return. After the 2k3 series I assumed more mature content was here to stay, but instead they tried to recreate the Turtlemania fad from the late 80s/early 90s, which was a good decision money-wise, but doesn't appeal me much.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

While the FW series wasn't my first, It has been my absolute favourite ever since I got to know it, no doubt.
I find the show super entertaining, and I think good arguements can be made for the show doing things much better than any other tmnt incarnations (such as having great comedy, a kickass soundtrack and delivering some fantastic voice performances).

2k3 was one of my favourite versions (and one of my introductions to tmnt), but I have come to appreciate Fast Forward more over the years while my opinion of Back to the Sewers and Season 5 has declined.

I enjoyed all 3 of the original films despite the 2nd and 3rd films coming off as much inferior to the original, but I've come to appreciate those two after the Micheal Bay films, which I've come to dislike more with time (the only things from those films which I kind of feel like re-watching every now and then, are the scenes with Bebop and Rocksteady from OOTS).

My opinion on the Nick series is what it has always been since the beginning, just a fantastic show overall.

I loved Mirage Volume 1 when I read it first and still enjoy it to this day, but never bothered reading any further.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
While the FW series wasn't my first, It has been my absolute favourite ever since I got to know it, no doubt.
I find the show super entertaining, and I think good arguements can be made for the show doing things much better than any other tmnt incarnations (such as having great comedy, a kickass soundtrack and delivering some fantastic voice performances).

2k3 was one of my favourite versions (and one of my introductions to tmnt), but I have come to appreciate Fast Forward more over the years while my opinion of Back to the Sewers and Season 5 has declined.

I enjoyed all 3 of the original films despite the 2nd and 3rd films coming off as much inferior to the original, but I've come to appreciate those two after the Micheal Bay films, which I've come to dislike more with time (the only things from those films which I kind of feel like re-watching every now and then, are the scenes with Bebop and Rocksteady from OOTS).

My opinion on the Nick series is what it has always been since the beginning, just a fantastic show overall.

I loved Mirage Volume 1 when I read it first and still enjoy it to this day, but never bothered reading any further.
Yes, the OT had great music and one of the greatest theme songs over.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

I don't consider TMNT the greatest ever action-adventure fantasy-science fiction hero and superhero? franchise.

The main-reason I'm a TMNT fan and hung here is because when I was younger, TMNT was easy to catch in Sweden so I got into it and because of that I know most of their incarnations by heart.

Later, I have seen and respect so many other franchises, like DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Masters of the Universe, Power Rangers, Star Trek, Star Wars and Transformers. But most of them aren't what I got into.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 06-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I like the 1987 cartoon just as much as I always have, however I appreciate it for different reasons. I like the puns, references and sarcasm all keeping it mild in humor which is my humor. I don't know if its subconsciously because of the 1987 cartoon or not,but its perfect for my humor preferences after the fact. Also, I have such as adoration for the voice cast their range of talent and close relationship as well as looking at their other work because of this show. I always loved the character set from this series especially the first 8 seasons. So many memorable characters and the best set of character to this day. Sure I still hate Zack and Carter,but when has anyone successfully translated to a human who is a battlefield ally not named Casey Jones? Or successfully succeeded Shredder as the defacto main villain not sharing it(Krang)? Never happened in 35 years and it will not ever. Sorry Dregg and others. Bottom line is even with an open mind and a bad character or episode the Turtlemania period provided the best character roster of any period. Each version may give us one to two characters,but not a couple dozen. In conclusion while i will always praise this period's character set its the voice talent and humor that I appreciate now that I did not pay any attention to then.

I also find myself only somewhat interested in Nick Turtles, I watched the 2012 cartoon and thought it was okay,but I have no interest in going back to rewatch it. Its creativity died killing off Rat King,Shredder, and Splinter and making reference to old characters by name and not the actual characters is insulting to older fans. I could not get past the first episode of Rise of the TMNT, I really wanted to think it was okay like the 2012 cartoon even if not near a favorite, but the humor is not like the 1987 cartoon, the character set is annoying. I am waiting for it to run its course. As much as I couldn't care less about the black and white comics and always considered myself an other media mega fan. Well, IDW is the best thing to happen to TMNT since roughly 2008. Aside from two creative decisions I disagree with I absolutely love it. They take older characters and make them better which Nick failed to do. Its perfect for an adult entering their 30s' who never left the franchise. The kids can have their embarrassing cartoon that drags the characters I love through the mud and hopefully Nick will see that soon enough.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Wesley
Mad Scientist

TMNT is still one of my favourite franchises (though I’ve never read the comics and don’t care much for the newer stuff), but like others, my opinions and taste about it have changed over the years.

Fred Wolf series: Was my fav tv show growing up, but I started noticing more and more of its flaws as I got older. Seasons 1 is still great imo and some other episodes are still fun to watch (a lot of the humour went over my head as a kid), but parts of the series don’t hold up well and it’s no longer my fav.

4Kids series: Used to prefer the 1987 cartoon over this (though I still liked it back in the day), but it’s become my fav TMNT version in the last few years. I started rewatching it recently and it holds up well, much better than the OT, even though it has its own flaws. It’s more fun to watch than I remembered (used to think there wasn’t much humour), as like 1987, a lot of the humour went over my head when I was younger.

1990 movie:
I didn’t like this film when I first watched it in 2016 (it didn’t click with me for some reason), but I went went back and watched it again nearly a year ago and I loved it.

2007 movie: Same with 1990, I didn’t like this film either first time around and loved it when I watched it again. I’m like that with a lot of films.

Leonardo:
He used to be my favourite turtle as a kid. I liked that he was slightly serious but still had fun (saw a bit of myself in him at times), but as an adult, I find him a bit boring (though he’s still my second fav turtle). I prefer Raphael nowadays.

Last edited by Wesley; 06-22-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

80s cartoon: was okay material for me as a kid, though admittedly it was neither something whose plot I fully understood at the time nor my big emotional investment. Hard for me to beat up on it completely, though: as inaccurately horrible as it treated my favorite character, it was a small portion of my childhood, and I do enjoy the music in it as the 80s fanatic I am.

90s movies: seemed barely any less cheezy to me. Then again, I never did watch the second movie: only the first and third (the latter I only saw once)

2003: my favorite incarnation of Leatherhead being in this series is actually not my only reason for enjoying this series the most: it took my learning about how different it was from the 80s cartoon as well to make me willing to give this show a chance (which is ironic because I've heard the argument that it's the most faithful to the original Mirage comics). My big obsession at the time was Invader Zim, and I still prefer dark/edgy things, so, as much I regret looking into this series so late into the game, I don't regret looking into it at all.

2012: not fond of how much family bickering there is, but I guess that's to be expected for teenagers, in retrospect. I am a bit surprised as well seeing the Utroms being forgotten about over Kraang, so, needless to say, it surprises me in a good way that LH, now having been raised by evil aliens, still has a heart left, a pleasant contast to what I fear is the case in the IDW comics...all that in mind, I admit I was not welcoming to the series until its final seasons, especially when it came to the first season, but it's growing on me now.

As for favorite characters, until I learned of Leatherhead's usual character (as in, other than the 80s cartoon), my favorite character was who still is my favorite turtle were it not for Rise: Donatello. His technical skills aside, I feel I could compare to his earlier iterations personally wise.

Last edited by 80gmrp; 06-23-2019 at 08:28 AM.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
pferreira
Mad Scientist

My feelings to TMNT over the years haven't changed much. I find some of the childish episodes of the FW TMNT series more childish as an adult but thankfully those are few and far between. I have noticed more how enjoyable the humour is as an adult. I guess also I've taken more interest in the animation quality of each episode. I guess I'm the wrong person to ask but my views on TMNT as an adult haven't really changed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It's interesting. I'm interested to know considering your introduction to TMNT was the 2003 cartoon series how you came to appreciate the 80s series so much?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote