The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #41
pferreira
Foot Elite

Yeah I'm not surprised by this video. I can see why it would upset some. I wonder what Peter Laird thinks of them adding a female Turtle? I did point out in the comments of the video that Turtles has been popular recently, it's not faded in popularity right now anyway. Not a fan of IDW and the sales figures Jeremy shows aren't exactly inspiring. Part of the problem with IDW's TMNT as a comic is that it borrows too much from previous iterations, in this case Venus. I just kind of wish they did more of their own thing.

I remember was it last year (?) I made a thread where I asked what would happen if they created a female Turtle, whether it was being done for SJW purposes and whether fans would end up being seen as mysgnositic for simply not wanting massive changes to the source material. I don't think many chimed in with an answer. I'm sure someone can find the thread if they wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I always have no clue who these random youtube people are and why people care about them. They're no different than someone ranting on a message board, only it's in video form so it reaches more people.

Seriously, today's youtubers are like the old ranting posters on message boards in the early 2000's...only it's a bigger deal due to how mainstream youtube and then social media is compared to confined forums.
They get their message across more easily in visual form rather than people having to read a post. Kind of obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
That's the problem. People listen to these idiots and just take their word for it. Thousands of people. I actually read the comic so I can smell his horse **** through the screen.
Nah, he's correct. IDW is rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
Spoilers, Brie Larson pops up 15 times, Captain Marvel pops up 25 times. I can get not liking the movie but this guy is absolutely obsessed with it. He's like the manifestation of all those neckbeard "anti-SJWs" who are just as bad as the people they are criticizing - actually, no, they are worse. I really don't recommend that anyone else watches that sorry excuse for a video, giving this mong any Ad Revenue in exchange for getting pissed off about dumb **** is not worth it. He's literally got nothing worth saying.
I think all those videos reporting on her rubbish behaviour to be honest is the least she deserves. I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
All TheQuartering videos are based on reading articles about female characters or feministe agenda. He's annonying.
Not all. He calls out corruption by game developers for short changing consumers. If he calls out feminist agendas that's because that's what's popular right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
While it's clear he hasn't been reading the comics, his opinion is surely based purely on the negative reception that IDW has gotten on a lot of its other comics. Being an avid reader of this run of TMNT and someone who (usually) opposes SJW influence in the comics, this comic never struck me as having any of those influences. And if it does, it manages to hide them well and weave them properly into the story.
To be fair I remember Bobby Curnow saying the decision to have a female Turtle was something they felt they had to do. Make of that what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Maybe it would hurt their masculine feels to find a girl cool, so they NEED it to be made super clear to them that "this one is a girl" so they don't accidentally go liking any "girl stuff." Not being sure enough scares them.
The argument Jeremy makes is that artist Sophie Campbell (apparently formly Ross Campbell according to the video) is just recycling her deviant art.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
To be fair I remember Bobby Curnow saying the decision to have a female Turtle was something they felt they had to do. Make of that what you will.
I don't think he said that. Did he say that? If so, why?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
The argument Jeremy makes is that artist Sophie Campbell (apparently formly Ross Campbell according to the video) is just recycling her deviant art.
I fail to see how this is relevant.

And I don't agree with the recycling sentiment either. An artist working on a TMNT comic did some original TMNT artwork on a personal basis that she later used as a starting point when called upon to come up with a professional sketch of a new TMNT character? *gasp* Shocking!

How many different ways and colors can a female ninja turtle be drawn, anyway? It's hardly like doing a background character in Frieza's army for DBZ.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 07-19-2019 at 02:21 PM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #44
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

It hardly matters. Why can't there be a female turtle? And technically its not even a new charactere. It's just Jennika. What rules in this universe prohibit this? Nothing far as I can see. It all comes down to the fans being anal and not liking change. Even if the change is inoffensive (at least not offensive yet).

Its just a text book example of people looking for boogymen in the dark so hard that they start making up shapes out of nothing.

For the sake of argument though I do predict that Jennika won't remain a turtle forever. The IDW team probably saw the failure of Venus as a challenge.

Quote:
Nah, he's correct. IDW is rubbish.
Prove it.

Speaking of change. Its something most fans don't want. Remember when fans were screaming because the Shredder wasn't going to be in Rise? So if nothing else IDW is giving them everything they want but with a new twist.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 07-19-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It hardly matters. Why can't there be a female turtle?
There can be. My question was intended to help get an understanding of why he felt that was something they "had to do." Like, why would they possibly have to do that? On the basis of what, exactly?

But I also don't think he said that.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #46
ChosenOne
Banned

I dig the self-imposed challenge angle. Let's face it, the franchise isn't going anywhere even if this development falls flat (which it won't) since it has already bounced back from much worse. And at some point down the line, someone else would take a crack at incorporating a female turtle into the mythos. Why not let the people whose track record has been spotless and successfully meshed together so many disparate elements of TMNT history have a go at it? If they can't make it work, then quite honestly no one can. And they probably wanted to test themselves and see if they could indeed make it work.

IDW has more than earned their right to try. To hell with the criticisms.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #47
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I wouldn't call IDW's track record spotless. But they are certainly not 'rubbish'. Far from it.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #48
The Deadman
Foot Elite

The Quartering is a guy who constantly cries about SJW-ism in just about everything comic book related. Not sure why anyone takes his criticism seriously.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #49
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
I've already heard from a surprising amount of people whining that I didn't draw Jennika with boobs.
That was part of the criticism with the Next Mutation design so I find it ridiculous that they want boobs now. Honestly, it didn't make sense then and it certainly wouldn't make sense now.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #50
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its funny because no one complained when Alopex didn't have any boobs. Yet they are now complaining that a female mutant turtle doesn't have any.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #51
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its funny because no one complained when Alopex didn't have any boobs. Yet they are now complaining that a female mutant turtle doesn't have any.
Or Koya

It's probably a turtle tiddy thing
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #52
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Oh I’ve definitely seen people complain about Alopex’s design.
I’ve also seen people complain about Jennika wearing pants.
People will complain about anything.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #53
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Found it, maybe I'm misinterpreting?: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...54235&page=147

Post 2932

"I can only speak for myself, but fan reaction isn't something that I ever think about, so folks reactions to Venus in the past isn't anything I worried about.

I can't speak for Tom, but I know he's felt it important to have a female Turtle for a while. I think it's as simple as that!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
And I don't agree with the recycling sentiment either. An artist working on a TMNT comic did some original TMNT artwork on a personal basis that she later used as a starting point when called upon to come up with a professional sketch of a new TMNT character? *gasp* Shocking!
Yeah I get that of course. I think Jeremy is trying to say that it was self-indulgence. To be fair, we've all done that at some point so he's overreacting a little there.

Quote:
It hardly matters. Why can't there be a female turtle? And technically its not even a new charactere. It's just Jennika. What rules in this universe prohibit this? Nothing far as I can see. It all comes down to the fans being anal and not liking change. Even if the change is inoffensive (at least not offensive yet).
I think that's why I started a thread about this a couple of years ago because of these kind of reactions and possible arguments in case it happened.

Quote:
I wouldn't call IDW's track record spotless. But they are certainly not 'rubbish'. Far from it.
Not an IDW TMNT fan. Check the Unpopular Opinions thread on these forums.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #54
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Whether or not Alopex has boobs is entirely dependent on who's drawing her. Sophie drew her without wrappings and no boobs, but Santolouco definitely drew her with them while under wraps. Regardless, she has a pretty feminine figure so I don't think anyone ever mistook her for a boy. Most people who I've shown Koya for the first time assumed they were a guy.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:20 PM   #55
Allio
Foot Elite

Depending on who you ask, some would say that Sophie's (Ross at the time) deign of Alopex in her micro made her clearly furry bait.

I mean I still see some people that prefer her more animalistic design from Raph's micro and Santa's design,to Sophies.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #56
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Depending on who you ask, some would say that Sophie's (Ross at the time) deign of Alopex in her micro made her clearly furry bait.

I mean I still see some people that prefer her more animalistic design from Raph's micro and Santa's design,to Sophies.
I think she looked fine in her micro. It was her Northhampton look that I think made her too cute and attracted the tumblr/furry crowd. Right now I think my favorite look for her is in the two part TMNT Universe where she and Raph infiltrated Null's labs. Santolouco's design is alright but has one major problem, and that's that he draws her (and the turtles) really short, and when they're standing side by side with human characters it looks pretty awkward. I really don't think the animalistic design pre-micro fit her character much. She was too monstrous and looked more like a wolf than a fox. And with there being so many monstrous Foot mutants (literally all of them besides Alopex), it was nice to have at least one who looked like they fit the role of "ninja".
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
That was part of the criticism with the Next Mutation design so I find it ridiculous that they want boobs now. Honestly, it didn't make sense then and it certainly wouldn't make sense now.
Playing devil's advocate but actually it would make sense now, more than in NT:TNM. Now I'm anti-shell boobs entirely and wouldn't want to see them anywhere period (now 4-6 boobs on Alopex, as probably there would be? maybe).. but Jennika is a human becoming turtle, not a turtle becoming a big turtle, which is what happened to the main Turtles in IDW as well as NT:TNM. Could be some latent human DNA doing weird stuff there, no?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #58
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Andrew. No.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #59
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Also can you guys stop using my old name for like 5 minutes?
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #60
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
Also can you guys stop using my old name for like 5 minutes?
I agree with this sentiment, it's incredibly offensive.
Additionally I'd like to see this thread be locked and disposed of; giving any airtime to people like the 'Quartering' and his ilk on youtube, or some of the attitudes I've seen in this thread is nothing but waste of time and energy or to put it another way: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

I'd like to think the members of this forum can be better than that.

BIN THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote