The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #1561
italianice388
Stone Warrior

sounds like that's also when we'll be seeing the next round of ultimates. how awesome would it be if they showed waves 4 AND 5?!

curious, if they unveiled two waves, how many of you would be happy about that? and how many of you would prefer if they kept it to just a single wave?
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #1562
mikey0
Foot Elite

I would be blown away if Brian showed both wave 4 and 5. I have to see Leatherhead right away.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #1563
italianice388
Stone Warrior

agreed! personally, i'd rather have them dump as many on us as soon as possible. i need to see these and get them in my hands!
Old 09-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #1564
mikey0
Foot Elite

So, we won’t see Usagi until next year?
Old 09-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #1565
Chris
Mad Scientist

I would be absolutely amazed if we see 2 waves at next month. I think this is definitely when we’ll see wave 4, but going to a 4 month schedule would put wave 5 in February which is perfect timing for a virtual toy fair reveal. Would be ecstatic if they did though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
So, we won’t see Usagi until next year?
That’s correct. Brian’s confirmed he will be up for pre-order next year so unless he’s in wave 5 and they do a double wave reveal at NYCC (both unlikely) then we won’t see him until next year.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #1566
mikey0
Foot Elite

Teemu, do you know who will be in wave 5?
Old 09-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #1567
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Teemu, do you know who will be in wave 5?
Nope...but I think we have made some pretty good guesses. They won't show wave 5 until February's pre-order
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #1568
Chris
Mad Scientist

Assuming they stick to the wave every 4 months cycle TMNT’s pre-order windows actually line up nicely. February is Toy Fair and October in NYCC. Ok, June doesn’t quite line up with SDCC but that’s cool because they can probably use San Diego for an exclusive and to reveal and large scale stuff like vehicles or playsets.

Here’s some questions for you all.

What variants, either from the vintage line or new, would you like to see? And, whilst they would be toy based rather than screen based, since Brian’s mentioned a gentleman’s agreement with NECA do you think that means Movie Star and Toon Turtles variants are off the table?

Since Super 7 aren’t limited to the vintage line up which new characters would you like to see in this style?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #1569
Leo656
The Franchise

I know it can't happen, but the world needs Ninjara.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #1570
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What variants, either from the vintage line or new, would you like to see?
I'm a broken record at this point, and I'll get this out of the way up front, lol, but I personally would love to see all the original one-off mutants from 91-93 before dipping into variants.

Once those are all out, though, I'd be really cool to see:

-Universal monsters
-Jim Lee
-Super Mutants
-Pizza tossing (that would be so bizarre and weird, I'd love it)
-Warriors of the forgotten sewer, complete with the unreleased knight Mikey
Old 09-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #1571
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
What variants, either from the vintage line or new, would you like to see? And, whilst they would be toy based rather than screen based, since Brian’s mentioned a gentleman’s agreement with NECA do you think that means Movie Star and Toon Turtles variants are off the table?
- Disquised Turtles
- Headdropin’ Turtles (without the feature)
- Mutations unmutated Bebop, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Shredder
- Movie Star Turtles

At the moment, it is hard to tell whether we will see Movie Star and Toon Turtles variants. The Movie Star and Toon Turtles figures were not movie or cartoon accurate (with the exception of the supporting characters). The Target 2-Pack figures are not cartoon accurate either, but they are a little closer to the subject material than the Toon Turtles turtles figures were. I would love to see the Ultimates versions of the 1992 figures with the “real rubbery reptilian feel”. NECA should allow S7 to do Movie Star Turtles. It’s 2020, and NECA sold Super Shredder, Tokka, Rahzar and no SOTO turtles.

Quote:
Since Super 7 aren’t limited to the vintage line up which new characters would you like to see in this style?
The rest of the Mutanimals, I guess.

Sorry shellheads, I do wish this line were for collectors of the original Playmates toyline exclusively. I want to see S7 do an unmasked Casey Jones, bulldog character that Peter Laird designed in ‘87, and Warrior Rahzar.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #1572
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

Sorry shellheads, I do wish this line were for collectors of the original Playmates toyline exclusively.
See, I get it, but I think it's redundant. They have an opportunity here to "fix the mistakes" of the past. If they can produce figures of characters who should have had a figure but never got one, in my opinion that should take precedence before most of the wacky variants nobody liked the first time around. If they get to them later on, fine, but New Characters First would be much better overall.

It's like when Super7 was doing the 5.5-inch "Masters of the Universe" figures based on the Filmation cartoon. They were ostensibly beholden to two principles with the line: Maintain the scale and style of the 1980s toy line, BUT only produce characters who appeared in the Filmation MOTU and She-Ra cartoons. They weren't really supposed to cross into anything the original line did specifically, aside from the scale.

Even so, they deviated from that by producing the 5.5-inch He-Ro and Eldor figures. Those characters never appeared in the cartoons at all, BUT they were supposed to have been released back in '87 in the original line. The fact that they were never made really upset the fans, so when Super7 started doing the 5.5s, they circumvented their own "rule" and produced those figures anyway because they knew fans wanted them so badly. It was more important to give the fans new characters they never got before but always wanted, rather than stick to the "Only Filmation Characters" script. Personally, I'll take He-Ro over Count Marzo, and I think most people feel the same.

Likewise, with this line, sure they're mostly recreating the classic Playmates figures in modern scale and style, BUT, if they went off-script and decided to produce figures based on the Archie comic instead of Star Trek Donnie or whatever, I think most fans would forgive them. Most people would probably be more excited for the first ever action figures of Ninjara or Null or even Stump and Sling, instead of recreations of figures they already didn't buy in 1991.

They have a chance this time around, in theory, to correct the mistakes of omission committed by the original line. I for one would definitely support them in doing so. They could still stay 99% on point with the original series while still producing characters who never had a toy but really deserved one. I don't think anyone would complain about that.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #1573
mikey0
Foot Elite

As long as the Archie and IDW characters fit in with the classic Playmates toys, I do not mind S7 giving fans a Jennika over Hot Spot or Shogun Shoate.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #1574
Leo656
The Franchise

Well yeah, I assumed that it was implicit that the styles and scale would be similar.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:58 AM   #1575
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I know it can't happen, but the world needs Ninjara.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed! When Pixel Dan asked specifically about Archie TMNT Adventures characters Brian said they could do them and I just can’t fathom anyone other than Ninjara being top of that list.

Quote:
At the moment, it is hard to tell whether we will see Movie Star and Toon Turtles variants. The Movie Star and Toon Turtles figures were not movie or cartoon accurate (with the exception of the supporting characters). The Target 2-Pack figures are not cartoon accurate either, but they are a little closer to the subject material than the Toon Turtles turtles figures were. I would love to see the Ultimates versions of the 1992 figures with the “real rubbery reptilian feel”. NECA should allow S7 to do Movie Star Turtles. It’s 2020, and NECA sold Super Shredder, Tokka, Rahzar and no SOTO turtles.
Yeah, I’m definitely not expecting screen accuracy as they’d be toy inspired. I would love S7 to do the Movie Star Turtles as they were my favourite variants as a kid. I just wondered if people thought the gentleman’s agreement between S7 and NECA affected them anyway. Honestly, I think NECA will do SOTO Turtles next year. They’ve repacked the originals probably as much as they can at this point and we know standard SOTO Shredder is coming next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Well yeah, I assumed that it was implicit that the styles and scale would be similar.
This 100%. Let’s say they did Hun, it would be Super 7’s take of what they thought Hun would have looked like in the vintage line not a 2003 or 2012 accurate figure.

Answering my own questions (now it’s not 2:30am and I can put some thought into it).

Variants - I’m expecting to see the original 4 (Leo the Sewer Samurai, Don the Undercover Turtle, Raph the Space Cadet & Mike the Sewer Surfer) based on Brian saying they would do “meaningful variants” and saying look at the ReAction line.

As said above I’d love it if they could do the Movie Stars as they were my favourites as a kid. Honestly I’d take a set of Next Mutation Turtles as I only had half of them when I was younger and whilst the show sucked I thought the figures I had were pretty cool.

I would be all over a set of Archie Future Turtles (and let’s throw in some Chris Allen style heads that could be used on the basic Turtles as a bonus). Not sure S7 would ever go there but Cyborg Don & Shredder Raph would be really cool in vintage style and they’re from the right era. Those are the type of variants I would love to see over the random sports or military Turtles.

On the gentleman’s agreement - I think Super 7 can do figures inspired by the Movie Star & Toon Turtles under their license but won’t as long as NECA is making those lines. For Toon Turtles I think that means they’re pretty much off the table but Movie Star can probably happen when you consider NECA will likely have mined the films as far as they can in the next year or so and at one variant per wave we’ll be into 2022 before Super 7 even finishes offering the original 4 variants for pre-order.

So far as new figures go, whilst I would definitely buy newer characters like Hun, Bishop, Dogpound, Fishface, etc., I would rather Super 7 focused on characters who existed at the time of the vintage line but never got a figure. So I’m thinking Mirage (and maybe Image) comics, Archie Adventures, characters from the OT, etc.

“Missing” Figures
Attila & Rasputin to complete the frogs
Non-Toon versions of Kala & Dask (as well as the Channel 6 crew which also gets round the whole Toon issue)
Standard version of Shoate (instead of Samurai)

Mirage
Karai
Renet
Savanti Romero
All three were around at the time & become mainstays of the franchise since. I’d say Foot Elite as well but I think the Next Mutation figure covers the vintage version of that

Shredder Raph
Cyborg Don
Lady Shredder
Pimiko
Never in a million years do I see these happening but I’d definitely buy them. Maybe they can throw in that Savage Dragon figure Playmates planned but never released around the time of the Jim Lee Turtles.

Archie
Future Turtles
Ninjara
Rest of the Mutanimals
Null
Armaggon

Concept Art
Never going to happen but I would love a set of figures based on the 4th movie Next Mutation concept art Peter Laird shared. Throw in Kirby whilst you’re at it.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:13 AM   #1576
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Mirage
Karai
Renet
Savanti Romero
Splinter
Casey
Zog
Complete Carnage
Radical
Leatherhead... but oversized, like Mumm-Ra
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:19 AM   #1577
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Intergalactic Wrestler Turtles + Stump Arena playset
That would be a child's dream coming true.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #1578
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Splinter
Casey
Zog
Complete Carnage
Radical
Leatherhead... but oversized, like Mumm-Ra
Well I'm thinking these would be Mirage characters done in Vintage style rather than comic accurate so Splinter, Casey and Leatherhead already had vintage style figures but nice shout on Radical, Complete Carnage and Zog
Old 09-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #1579
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Well I'm thinking these would be Mirage characters done in Vintage style rather than comic accurate so Splinter, Casey and Leatherhead already had vintage style figures but nice shout on Radical, Complete Carnage and Zog
Oh yeah... I forgot what thread I was in. I saw "Mirage" and thought "NECA" (despite reference to Super7's Mumm-Ra).
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #1580
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Right. I want to see the Archie, IDW, Image, and Mirage characters done in vintage Playmates style. There should be a lot of detail, wacky weapons, and interesting facial expressions with lots of different colors you do not see on most action figures.