The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:09 AM   #4241
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

YAY I knew at some point due to the information we were getting leaked he'd become leader at some point. I can't wait till we get to that character arc, him growing into the leader we know

This character take should be fun than, if that's the case that pretty much means he will get a good focus of the series comparing Leo to those guys.

Don't know why someone's disappointed about that? Raph just not meant for leadership is all, at least you got to see him lead a bit besides those 80s episodes where they wanted to show what a mess they'd be without Leo as the leader irony at its finest
Old 06-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #4242
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Don't know why someone's disappointed about that? Raph just not meant for leadership is all, at least you got to see him lead a bit besides those 80s episodes where they wanted to show what a mess they'd be without Leo as the leader irony at its finest
He can be without his emotional anger issues.
I'm disappointed because I don't want to see another "Raphael is just a big screw up" storyline. I'm tired of that.
I love Leonardo since he's my 2nd and sometimes even number one turtle, but I don't want ANOTHER TV series where Leo is the only turtle to get an arc again.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #4243
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Don't know why someone's disappointed about that? Raph just not meant for leadership is all
I wouldn't say that. It depends on individuals that can work with or relate to him. Like he could lead a team of misfits or maybe the Mighty Mutanimals, if he was interested.

Raph has shown that he can learn to put his temper aside when someone else worse than him goes to far, i.e. Casey. He was assertive in the 2007 film when he wanted to save Leo and his city.

If Wolverine can lead a team, Raph can.

The only reason I'd like to see Leo as the leader in this show is because I'm not fond of what they're doing with him, personally.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #4244
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
He can be without his emotional anger issues.
I'm disappointed because I don't want to see another "Raphael is just a big screw up" storyline. I'm tired of that.
I love Leonardo since he's my 2nd and sometimes even number one turtle, but I don't want ANOTHER TV series where Leo is the only turtle to get an arc again.
There are ways they can have leo be the leader without making Raph a screwup. What if Raph just decides he doesn't want to lead anymore?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #4245
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I wouldn't say that. It depends on individuals that can work with or relate to him. Like he could lead a team of misfits or maybe the Mighty Mutanimals, if he was interested.

Raph has shown that he can learn to put his temper aside when someone else worse than him goes to far, i.e. Casey. He was assertive in the 2007 film when he wanted to save Leo and his city.

If Wolverine can lead a team, Raph can.

The only reason I'd like to see Leo as the leader in this show is because I'm not fond of what they're doing with him, personally.
Holy crap, you just reminded me of that Wolverine and the X Men team series that aired on NickToons TV, I completely forgot about that series. Than there was X Men 3 boy they really screwed Cyclops over. It was like the staff just hated his character or something.

I'm glad there not doing that with Leo, 80s series treated Leo bad I don't need that again. Not saying I like his 180 character turn this series but if he gets major character development that shows him into the character we know and love I'm down for it

Edit;

Whenever Shredder shows up I have a feeling that's when the breaking point of Raph leadership will get, he will realize that maybe it wasn't his thing.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #4246
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
There are ways they can have leo be the leader without making Raph a screwup. What if Raph just decides he doesn't want to lead anymore?
Given how competitive he historically is with Leo? Then they would need to come up with a very good valid reason why Raph would even choose to step down so it doesn't just come across like he got lazy, wimped out, or once again was shown as a screw up.

As much as some Leo fans may be glaring daggers at them over some of these decisions, with Raph also involved in the mix-up... with some of his fans... now there's a landmine if they do reorient the dynamic back to its roots at some point but not in a way that goes smoothly.

Also, those sai will defiantly glow PINK like those tonfa. lol They gotta. It wouldn't be magic mutantland show without it.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #4247
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Here's the run-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Lang

Nickelodeon’s ‘Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Gets Annecy First Look

By:Jamie Lang
June #14th, 2018
Co-executive producers Andy Suriano and Ant Ward were in Annecy for their first time this year to give an in-depth, behind the scenes look at their forthcoming series, “Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.”

Held at the Salle Pierre Lamy, the two showed artwork, explained the development process which led to the series, and even screened a two-minute clip from the show, which will be launched by Nickelodeon this fall.

All of the work on the series is being handled by Nickelodeon in Los Angeles, apart from animation which is being done at Australia’s Flying Bark. “They are killing it!” said Ward.

As one might except from the title, Nickelodeon’s “Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” won’t be picking up where previous iterations of the IP have dropped off, but rather a fresh retelling of the stories behind Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello and Leonardo, with other TMNT staples to feature. Confirmed so far are a Splinter and April O’Neil.

In Nickelodeon’s new series, the turtles and April will be younger, and the brothers are not yet the martial arts masters that fans might expect. April is no longer the red-headed reporter in a yellow trench, but a mixed-race badass that can hold her own with the boys, and the four turtles are now each different species. Splinter is still a rat, but has a look that will likely catch audiences off guard. Based on its reaction, the audience was.

Additionally, slight changes were made to the weapons of choice for the turtles.

As for the villains, fans will be happy to see that an updated and stylized Foot Clan will still be harassing the turtles. But that’s where the bad-guy similarities end. A roster of new villains was unveiled, including the John Cena-voiced Draxum. Others announced were Meat Sweats, Hypno-Potamus, Warren Stone and Albearto.

The new crew of baddies won’t just be fodder for the turtles either.

“With Nick we said these are TMNT like we haven’t seen them before,” Suriano explained, “This is the beginning of their careers, we don’t want them to win. We want them to get their butts kicked once in a while.”

Another step in a different direction will be how New York City is represented in the show. According to Suriano and Ward, this New York City will be modern, bright and with a secret underbelly influenced by the film “Big Trouble in Little China.”

“Modern New York is a melting pot,” Ward said at the presentation, “We thought: ‘Wouldn’t it be great if we found a way to explore that melting pot of mythological creatures and fables of all New York? What if it was also Big Trouble in Little Italy, or Big Trouble in Little India?’”

And just like in “Big Trouble in Little China,” those worlds exist underneath the city. Landscapes with distinct cultural indicators were shown in the presentation, often accompanied by very large heads, which Ward explained are some of Suriano’s favorite features to include in set design.

Also announced was the all-star cast that will voice the series characters: Josh Brener (“Silicon Valley”); Donatello, played by Ben Schwartz (“Parks and Recreation”); Leonardo, Omar Benson Miller (“Ballers”); Raphael, Brandon Mychal Smith (“Dirty Grandpa”); Michelangelo, and Kat Graham (“The Vampire Diaries”). April O’Neil, joined the aforementioned John Cena in the sound booth.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #4248
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Given how competitive he historically is with Leo? Then they would need to come up with a very good valid reason why Raph would even choose to step down so it doesn't just come across like he got lazy, wimped out, or once again was shown as a screw up.

As much as some Leo fans may be glaring daggers at them over some of these decisions, with Raph also involved in the mix-up... with some of his fans... now there's a landmine if they do reorient the dynamic back to its roots at some point but not in a way that goes smoothly.

Also, those sai will defiantly glow PINK like those tonfa. lol They gotta. It wouldn't be magic mutantland show without it.
As I read this i thought, what if they do their version of TMNT 10, the first movie, whatever...where it's Raph again who is ambushed and Leo takes the mantle up while Raph heals, or feels he can't lead.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #4249
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

This interested me the most.

Quote:
“With Nick we said these are TMNT like we haven’t seen them before,” Suriano explained, “This is the beginning of their careers, we don’t want them to win. We want them to get their butts kicked once in a while.”
So, expect them to lose, at least occasionally.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #4250
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
As I read this i thought, what if they do their version of TMNT 10, the first movie, whatever...where it's Raph again who is ambushed and Leo takes the mantle up while Raph heals, or feels he can't lead.
That would be totally acceptable but I predict they'll choose a less than desirable scenario.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #4251
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Holy crap, you just reminded me of that Wolverine and the X Men team series that aired on NickToons TV, I completely forgot about that series. Than there was X Men 3 boy they really screwed Cyclops over. It was like the staff just hated his character or something.

I'm glad there not doing that with Leo, 80s series treated Leo bad I don't need that again. Not saying I like his 180 character turn this series but if he gets major character development that shows him into the character we know and love I'm down for it

Edit;

Whenever Shredder shows up I have a feeling that's when the breaking point of Raph leadership will get, he will realize that maybe it wasn't his thing.
I'm all for him becoming leader. It's just how is my issue.

This is why I found no point of making Raphael the leader in the first place. You could have a Leo develop by not being leader yet and have them all work as team, and then later realize that they need one.

After 2 cartoons straight of laziness of depicting Raphael's anger issues as a typical hot head screwup with little to no character arcs, it's just something I don't want to see. Especially in a series I want to watch. But looking at the newest description of him, he's apparently a moron who can't learn from his mistakes.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #4252
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Doesn't the comics provide a good reason for Raphael's anger issues? Mostly because there are only 4 of his kind, they are pretty much shunned by the entire world, they have to always live and hide on the very fringes of society etc. He feels the weight of their situation more acutely than his brothers and that makes him so fiercely protective of them? And that fierce protectiveness comes out as hot blooded anger?

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #4253
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Doesn't the comics provide a good reason for Raphael's anger issues? Mostly because there are only 4 of his kind, they are pretty much shunned by the entire world, they have to always live and hide on the very fringes of society etc. He feels the weight of their situation more acutely than his brothers and that makes him so fiercely protective of them? And that fierce protectiveness comes out as hot blooded anger?
Pretty much. Idk how this usually gets misunderstood with a macho stereotype.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #4254
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Pretty much. Idk how this usually gets misunderstood with a macho stereotype.
unfortunately seeing as how this is a show for children, they'll over simplify things and gravitate towards their basic character traits without any real depth or layers. Kind of sad really. I guess the TMNT shows will forever be stuck in this monotonous rut.

Thank God the comics are still decent.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #4255
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I'm just now watching the 2012 series. I like it. Granted I try my damndest to value shows based on their own merits instead of "how much it makes me feel nostalgic for the old shows."
Add on to that I'm just a shameless turtle fan for life. I'm going to give Rise a chance.

I remember eons ago when Transformers Animated was announced and everyone was ranting about how bad it was going to be. Well I don't know what the consensus was about that show in the TF fandom but it's honestly still my favorite TF show to date. Somewhere in a close neck and neck tie with Beast Wars.

Rise sort of has that "Animated" look to it. I heard the style is loosely inspired by Gorillaz but that's besides the point. I can eventually look past even the jankiest of art styles if the story is good.

Also I'm starting to read more TMNT comics. I'm actually reading City at War right now. There is just too much turtle content for me to catch up with!

^^^^
Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #4256
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Agree that would probably be one of the far better ways to transition it, if they're willing to do what's been done. I've got zero faith however that they'd be smart in that regard and play it safe.

Also don't have as much faith as some do here that they'll effectively pack enough storytelling into those 11 min stories.

How rich could a person be if they were to bet a good sum of money on there being at least one episode that focuses on Mikey and some 11 min problem about pizza... and not much else.

Quote:
You could have a Leo develop by not being leader yet and have them all work as team, and then later realize that they need one.
Exactly, that would be a great way to go about it. Maybe even just let it be a slow progression where their individual talents start showing in different situations, including Leo who starts clearly showing a knack for strategy and keeping a cool head in difficult situations, thus tending to step up like a leader when some moments call for it.

Might also help is brothers accept and respect his knack for it as well, giving them the opportunity to tell him that they need him to step up and take the lead on something when he's feeling reluctant or unsure, because they know he's good at this.

Someday... Another show, another channel.

As for Raph's attitude, well... I also just simply take it as his personalty type imo, not necessarily having to always have a reason. If they were still just pet turtles, you know he'd probably be the biter. lol Still is, with biting words. And fists.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-14-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #4257
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Yeah I agree its likely Raph is just naturally a hot head. But it adds a lot of characterization to showcase 'why' he might be the more violent one. Is it just because he likes violence? Or because he's over compensating due to his and his family's circumstances?

I mean you could take the premise and test it out on all of the brothers. With Leo he might because what he was for a while in the 2k3 series. Domineering and controlling leader.

Donatello might try to solve the problem with science (and inevitably become a bad guy and take over the world)

Mikey I'm not sure about.

^^^^
Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #4258
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Some people may/might not be pleased with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Lang
In Nickelodeon’s new series, the turtles and April will be younger, and the brothers are not yet the martial arts masters that fans might expect. April is no longer the red-headed reporter in a yellow trench, but a mixed-race badass that can hold her own with the boys, and the four turtles are now each different species. Splinter is still a rat, but has a look that will likely catch audiences off guard. Based on its reaction, the audience was.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #4259
CyberCubed
Overlord

That just says the same thing we've known for over a year now.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #4260
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I assume it's just confusion on the writer's part, but since when did April ever wear a "yellow trench."

The idea that they "are not yet the martial arts masters that fans might expect" isn't even new, seeing as how 2012 somewhat started out that way too. (Not to mention many other versions have always still been training to improve, hardly truly masters yet.)

Are they just likewise going to suck at it for a few episodes, or are they this time going to have zero skills to begin with? Making Splinter a super lazy parent if he hadn't been training them at all... like some other article or video or something once already suggested.

Lemmie guess... he doesn't train them until he finds a book on it, after finally noticing the world might not be a safe place for them.

These guys aren't even younger than 2012. If anything they look and feel older. If they wanted younger than they should have made them 10-year-olds.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters