The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Why do most people hate the next mutation?

Well the question is in the title
Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Bad costumes, terrible writing, Venus....

Need I go on?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I personally don't hate it, but I can see why others would. It has horrible writing, bad costume designs, zero characterization, lame villans, all the turtles act like idiots most of the time, and Venus.

(Also, I expect this Next Mutation thread to end up like the others: locked after a few pages)
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Bad costumes, terrible writing, Venus....

Need I go on?
Wow, we typed the exact same thing at the same time! Must be the general consensus.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
ABrown
Banned

I don't hate it, I just don't like it. I found it to be poorly produced, and not every entertaining.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Because it's different.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

As others stated **** Writing Bad production Costumes that make the turtle 3 suits look amazing. Venus and the fact that it was Saban making Turtles like Power Rangers. Next Mutation makes Turtles 3 look like a masterpiece
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I don't hate it, I just don't like it. I found it to be poorly produced, and not every entertaining.
Same here. I actually liked it as a kid, but its flaws are more noticeable as an adult.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]

Like most TMNT productions with a bad reputation (Image, Fred Wolf), people tend to magnify the bad qualities and ignore the good.

I mean, it's definitely bad. And Venus as a concept is creatively bankrupt, but she wasn't that bad of a character most times.

Some better suits and less 3 Stoogisms would have went a LONG way for this series. Oh, and the abuse of stock footage was outrageous.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

The series was way too juvenile and toned down for kids, much more than anything else.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'll watch it purely from a guilty pleasure standpoint, that its badness makes it amusing, but in its entirety it's pretty cringe-worthy. And I don't enjoy cringing over stuff at the Turtles' expense.

Largely I just regard The Next Mutation kind of like one of those moments in life you just don't want to discuss, with this series being one of those moments for our Turtles. (And like anyone who's been around for 30+ years they've racked up at least a few. lol)

Side note - If I could I would get the Turtles' mocap actors aback together and geared up again, somehow luck out in them having never seen the likes of TNM and that old Christmas special, sit them down to watch it together, then render in the Turtles reacting to it with the mocap. God that would be so worth seeing... And the best way to watch this stuff, with the Turtles' own reactions and commentary. LOL (It would be like TMNT watches alternate universe TMNT meets Mystery Science Theater 3000 meets kids/people react to stuff videos. Way wasn't I born rich so I could make it happen...)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I personally liked Venus ok. I liked the magic aspect to her. Other than that, I don't remember much about the show despite the fact I watched the entire thing at the time. I was in high school and set the VCR to tape it. ^^ I think I was neutral on it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

As Jester & I have long said, it would've been a little bit less ridiculed if they hadn't been so trigger happy with the goofy sound effects. The fights were fluffy enough on their own, but hearing a clown horn when someone gets kicked really takes ALL the wind out of it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
As Jester & I have long said, it would've been a little bit less ridiculed if they hadn't been so trigger happy with the goofy sound effects. The fights were fluffy enough on their own, but hearing a clown horn when someone gets kicked really takes ALL the wind out of it.
Agreed. The sound effects were as retarded as hell. It reminded me of the German version of the 1990 movie when they were fighting the foot in April's apartment. Granted, some of the fighting was a bit goofy to begin with but those cartoon sound effects made it totally ridiculous.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It was a bad idea poorly executed.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #16
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

simple

People can't deal with change. It was the first real change to the franchise (tv medium wise) and they couldnt handle it. And a lot of people hate it simply cause others hate it. Bandwagon and whatnot.

A lot of them were also P-O'd it wasnt "dark and gritty"
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 AM   #17
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

I Don't hate it per say, but I do dislike it, I do hate the sound effects though, also lame villains (Bonesteel excluded, he rocked) and I do hate how they made the main characters other then Raph (he's the same hot-head as usually), Leo is just a Raph wannabe, always angry and with a short temper, Don is stupid, lets himself be played like a fiddle by Quease and even when he founds out he still lets him get his way with him, and Mikey... it's like he just doesn't care anymore, he's just there. Then there's Splinter, laughs all the time, talks to himself, he just became senile, and would it kill them to use a male actor inside his costume? Or at least have the girl act more manly, his body language is obviously female, it's scary.

Then there's the Shredder, god he's so bad, did they pick a random guy from the street to play him? Seriously, at least pick someone who at least knows how to act badly, it would be a huge improvement.

Now I'll get some hate from this but I do enjoy Venus, but the poor thing gets it rough, even in the show, the boys treat her like crap, always making fun of her and talk down to her, way to show kids how to treat girls Saban...

All in all, great ideias, really, REALLY poorly execution.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

I haven't seen it in full (and isn't going to for the forseeable future) but the reason seems to be that it's just kind of lame, has some bad ideas and a lack of familiarity.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #19
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I certainly feel if Saban didn't force a "girl Turtle" in as well as toning down the amount of sound effects and maybe fix the costumes, then Next Mutation would be an underrated entry in the franchise.

Of course, it is extremely cheesy, but there's still a vast amount of good ideas in it. You got villains such as Silver, Vam Mi, and Simon Bonesteel who can certainly work, especially with the first two tying into gang wars and mysticism respectively. Also to an extent, I like Venus but I do agree with the general consensus that her addition wasn't entirely the best.

I see why it's considered one of the weakest iterations in TMNT, but it's still fun to poke fun at it in addition to wondering "what if" with the series. Only thing I'm wondering is due to Saban if we can actually see these characters again.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

you're seeing it all wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
I and I do hate how they made the main characters , Don is stupid, lets himself be played like a fiddle by Quease and even when he founds out he still lets him get his way with him,

All in all, great ideias.
Don isn't stupid that just speaks to how smart Quease really is. Take Dragon Ball Z for example. A new villian pops up. Kills Goku. And you're left thinking "oh crap he must be powerful he destroyed Goku"

It's a measuring stick. Don is the smartest person in the franchise but Dr. Quease is so intelligent that HE looks up to him! It just shows how smart Quease really is.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
next mutation