The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Will Tupper's "Practical Jokes" (Michelangelo backup comic)

Written by "Tales of the TMNT" writer Will Tupper this Mikey backup was sold and set to be published by Mirage as a backup in Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2 but never saw print. The plan is to include this into the Image TMNT finisher in one of the issues.

It's illustrated by Donna "GreenWillow" Omo and lettered by Adam O. Pruett, who is also lettering the main Image finisher.

I hope you enjoy.

You can download a .PDF of it in HQ here.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-10-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

That was really great. A bummer Mirage didn't print it, but still a wonderful insight into Mikey. Outside of a few one-shots like "The Burning Man", Image's Volume 3 was the only time I cared for Mikey because the whole struggling novelist angle really gave him something deeper to latch onto. I always appreciate it when that side of him is revisited in any fashion.

It shows that there's an intelligence behind his goofishness that helps flesh him out from "mascot" to a well-rounded character you can identify with and appreciate.

Looking forward to seeing this in the Image finale!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

F*cking excellent. It really bums me out that Will never had the nerve to pitch a full story. His work is friggin' amazing. It always has such depth and feels so right for the turtles, kinda like he'd always been writing for them. He reminds me of Murphy but with less preach & more point.

Oh! & Donna's art is great too!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

This is great. Thanks for sharing!

-ms
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

That was glorious!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It always bothered me, personally, that Will got Leo, Raph, and Don backups in print... but we never got to see his Mike backup. Even to the very end of Tales Vol. 2 I think there was this lingering hope that we would -- after all, the Mike backup was sold -- and that one day, poof, it would appear in the back of a random issues of Tales, but it never quite did.

Put all of these together, you literally get like a new Michael Dooney "Challenges" graphic novel.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-31-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
willtupper
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Andrew: I just Emailed you my thanks, but will gladly say it here again. Deep gratitude to you for helping give my little series of Turtle stories a proper conclusion. Although FWIW, it was a Casey back-up, and not Splinter, that sold and made it into print. Splinter was going to be my next project .

DrSpengler: Thank you, dude. I kind of always saw Mikey as a "goofy revolutionary," changing the world quietly by making people happy .

plastroncafe: Thanks!

Master Splinter: Thank you!

Powder: Much thanks for your kind words, brother. I just never had the stones to pitch a full-length story. In the back of my mind I had kind of planned for that a little later, after I had told back-ups for all the major characters. So it goes, I suppose.

Donna totally knocked the art out of the park, didn't she? It turned out better than I could have ever imagined .
willtupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
Donna totally knocked the art out of the park, didn't she? It turned out better than I could have ever imagined .
Yeah! "GreenWillow" rocks some great pencils and inks!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Let's be honest, though... that bottle of "Old Lawson" on the shelf scares the hell out of me.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Venom
Space Knight

Spoken like the true Michelangelo. This little story falls perfectly in line with how I always felt about Mike. Thanks, Will, for tapping into the essence of Michelangelo and bringing forth this tiny nugget of insight;

too bad few will see it, lest it see true print form, but even then the world at large would probably refuse to accept Mike as he truly is. His comedic facade has been so good that he's practically shot himself in the foot in regards to people taking him *gasp* seriously.

Oh, and I got a kick out of the dancing cowboys in page 4, panel 6!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant

Thanks you guys for the positive comments!

Will, thank you so much. That really means a lot to me.

Venom, I totally agree with your and with Will's take on Mikey. I've always seen him as the classic "Family Mascot": the kid who makes a joke or a pratfall when things get too tense and the family desperately needs a distraction from the grim realities they deal with.

Given how "tense" these guys lives can be, playing the light-hearted, air-head, goofball has got to be pretty much a full-time job. Mikey does his job very well. He's even got half the fans fooled.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Aw, I like that a Lot. the 'Family Mascot' role is just the perfect way to describe Mike..
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm going to assume in the original version of this comic, the Turtles obviously didn't look like they did in Image, right?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
Buffy
Mad Scientist

Cool little backup comic! Mike always brings a smile to my face.

Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm going to assume in the original version of this comic, the Turtles obviously didn't look like they did in Image, right?
The script doesn't say what era the Turtles in the present are or physical appearance is on page 6. But no, of course Will and Murphy/Mirage didn't ever intend for this to be in the Vol. 3 era. That it is now is only on his blessing, which he gave graciously.

I would venture, though, that Mike being in that particular point in time gives the joke/story that much more depth given their state of being then.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #17
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I would venture, though, that Mike being in that particular point in time gives the joke/story that much more depth given their state of being then.
True that! I'm glad this became part of the Volume 3 era because it was Mike's shining spot in the entire Turtles' saga, so plunking this story right along there when the guys have been through hell and uncertain of many things in their lives is perfect!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

This was an awesome little read. I've always thought of Mikey as this, as the guy who makes the jokes so that it's not always just death and combat around them. He's not an idiot, he just chooses to act like one sometimes because the others can't. To see a story reflect as such, I love it.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
discordiatookie
facehugger

Yet another awesome Will Tupper story. Hard to believe that its the same crazy maniac that kicks around these here forums, making us all laugh our faces off with his mental topics. But yeah, that was brilliant. Great art also - for some reason, reminds me a bit on the dream like quality of Zulli's work. Brilliant job, GW!

I gotta ask - who be this Adam O. Pruett fella? He a regular in here, or is ha an actual letterer? Or even both? Anyhoo, I like the cut of his jib.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #20
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Very nice story, and the art is very charismatic.

And I agree that the story works a LOT better taking place during the volume 3 days.
Although it begs the question: would Mike still be the man (turtle) with the jokes if he had lost an arm, or an eye, or half his body?
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote