The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #4901
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
I suspect they are generating income off the "shipping" too so they probably have no motivation to reduce the number of shipments for us.
I've had good experiences with NECA products shipped in the last couple of years. The outer boxes are large and the actual products are wrapped securely in bubble wrap. It can cost a lot of money to ship non-media mail items, so $15 for UPS or FedEx is not unreasonable to me. Also, I kinda like having the NECA cardboard boxes for future storage, as they are easier to stack than just buying a figure from Target.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #4902
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

You must also remember that as a company who ships thousands of parcels per week and receives product by the pallet-load, they likely have nicely negotiated rates. So while $15 sounds to you and me like what it would reasonably cost to pack a figure well and ship it FedEx, I promise you it actually costs them much lower than that.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #4903
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I think this was my main sticking point. I don't mind having to wait a few weeks longer for the peace of mind of not gambling on these showing up at Target, but it was easier for me to justify when the shipping was spread across two figures or sets (the total only winds up being like $5 higher than what I'd pay in store at that point) versus just Chrome Dome. I'll probably regret not pre-ordering him, but hopefully not.
It would be cool if NECA would add some kind of "Pile of Loot" feature the way that BBTS does, but you know... the logistics of that. They aren't inclined to put in that work.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #4904
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
Stan is 100% fine with repaints.

He sold a special black repaint of the recent Usagi figure on his own store/site.
I've actually got those Dark Horse ones that has a normal Usagi and a "Platinum" Usagi as well. So maybe he's just more protective of Usagi when it comes to the print medium?
Old 09-11-2021, 11:56 PM   #4905
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It would be cool if NECA would add some kind of "Pile of Loot" feature the way that BBTS does, but you know... the logistics of that. They aren't inclined to put in that work.
They are using a Shopify backend with the same template as my store did. It’s a premade site that allows you to process CC payments but doesn’t have the pile Of loot capability. BBTS has a custom and well designed site that allows fur pile of loot which I’m sure cost a lot. Why NECA isn’t willing to put that effort/money in is the real question

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #4906
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
They are using a Shopify backend with the same template as my store did. It’s a premade site that allows you to process CC payments but doesn’t have the pile Of loot capability. BBTS has a custom and well designed site that allows fur pile of loot which I’m sure cost a lot. Why NECA isn’t willing to put that effort/money in is the real question
Really cool post here.

I try to absorb whatever I can from posts like this because I'm on a plateau trying to find the direction and outlet for a dedicated website for my own W1C endeavors.

I have been messing around with a structure from "3-D Cart Stores" but it's really just a barely functional mock-up right now and I want to wipe it clean completely and start from scratch on another platform. And man I thought "Templates" were supposed to make your life easy, but 90% of the templates can't actually be manipulated the way you'd want to. So then you wind up going into the HTML anyway. And you can imagine the mental calories that takes when you are self-taught and sort of residing in "3rd grade HTML" on your own....

Sorry for the aside, but you know... given your post above....

To your point about NECA.... I suppose they don't want to develop it because they aren't primarily a retailer. They are a manufacturer dabbling in online retailing, so I guess there's that.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #4907
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Really cool post here.

I try to absorb whatever I can from posts like this because I'm on a plateau trying to find the direction and outlet for a dedicated website for my own W1C endeavors.

I have been messing around with a structure from "3-D Cart Stores" but it's really just a barely functional mock-up right now and I want to wipe it clean completely and start from scratch on another platform. And man I thought "Templates" were supposed to make your life easy, but 90% of the templates can't actually be manipulated the way you'd want to. So then you wind up going into the HTML anyway. And you can imagine the mental calories that takes when you are self-taught and sort of residing in "3rd grade HTML" on your own....

Sorry for the aside, but you know... given your post above....

To your point about NECA.... I suppose they don't want to develop it because they aren't primarily a retailer. They are a manufacturer dabbling in online retailing, so I guess there's that.
I’m an IT guy myself but really running a business is a ton of work to do web design too. That’s why I used Shopify. I imagine their store is just ran by one of their employees. It’s funny they make the same mistakes I used to like new listings not being in the right section, or 1per customer limit hasn’t kicked in yet, etc-for what they have they do it well. They just need a full time web guy.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:04 PM   #4908
King Kahn
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
The answer is that except for maybe 12 days or so a year, especially sdcc exclusives, the site works just fine for them and no need to invest in anything more robust.

At the end of the day they are a retailer supplier, not an online retailer like bbts. They sell TO retailers for the mostly 99% of their stuff.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #4909
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
The answer is that except for maybe 12 days or so a year, especially sdcc exclusives, the site works just fine for them and no need to invest in anything more robust.

At the end of the day they are a retailer supplier, not an online retailer like bbts. They sell TO retailers for the mostly 99% of their stuff.

Thats only true for some things. They literally are moving over 100 SKUs with THOUSANDS of sales per SKU. They have the infrastructure for everything to ship, pack, and handle orders, but they are making things harder on themselves by not updating their backend. They dont just sell to retailers.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #4910
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

There is a lot more to having a Pile of Loot than just simply having a website that can keep track of it.

That website has to have behind it a solid integration into whatever their ERP system of choice is, dealing with all of the logistics of inventory, distribution, etc. To make sure that your loot doesn't actually get picked and shipped to someone else while you are sitting on it, and that they have accurate inventory.
And behind THAT must be robust physical real-world logistics, such as how they plan to manage to keep all that stock across multiple products stored indefinitely until the moment at which you decide to ship it, and how they will make sure it remains easily locatable and ready to go on that day. And even that is an oversimplification.

So...actually when you think about it it's pretty impressive that BBTS does it at all, and not at all surprising that NECA can't be bothered to do so. Just be glad that they're even letting us buy them this way now... One step at a time.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #4911
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
There is a lot more to having a Pile of Loot than just simply having a website that can keep track of it.

That website has to have behind it a solid integration into whatever their ERP system of choice is, dealing with all of the logistics of inventory, distribution, etc. To make sure that your loot doesn't actually get picked and shipped to someone else while you are sitting on it, and that they have accurate inventory.
And behind THAT must be robust physical real-world logistics, such as how they plan to manage to keep all that stock across multiple products stored indefinitely until the moment at which you decide to ship it, and how they will make sure it remains easily locatable and ready to go on that day. And even that is an oversimplification.

So...actually when you think about it it's pretty impressive that BBTS does it at all, and not at all surprising that NECA can't be bothered to do so. Just be glad that they're even letting us buy them this way now... One step at a time.
Not untrue, but it doesn't have to be that complicated. In it's simplest form you could have a pile of loot with a handwritten filing system and some basic warehousing with alphabetic totes. It could be done in computer with 20 year old AS400 systems.

A Pile of Loot function doesn't have to be cutting edge to work at all. It's only record keeping and warehousing.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #4912
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:

For the record…BBTS employee count is less than 50 last I checked (wanted to work there after closing my store) NECA can and SHOULD do better. Don’t apologize for their shortcomings of which there are many.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #4913
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i've got the turtles in time sets in my loot pile since may, i keep waiting for that $250 email bill to pop up.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #4914
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
i've got the turtles in time sets in my loot pile since may, i keep waiting for that $250 email bill to pop up.
There is a timer on Pile of Loot so eventually it's going to ship. And I think you've already paid for the box set - once it's in POL you only pay for tax and shipping....
Old 09-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #4915
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
There is a timer on Pile of Loot so eventually it's going to ship. And I think you've already paid for the box set - once it's in POL you only pay for tax and shipping....
technically their still in preorder but i've been waiting for them to come in but they keep getting pushed back, i expected them to be charged in may but their still waiting.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #4916
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

In case anyone was worried about getting Chromedome from NECA well after it's been available at Target, I got a shipping notification tonight.
vicsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #4917
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
technically their still in preorder but i've been waiting for them to come in but they keep getting pushed back, i expected them to be charged in may but their still waiting.

They dont hit your pile of loot until they arrive and are charged. You then pay $4 per shipment. Pre-orders arent in the loot pile yet. BBTS site has a seperate section for pile of loot and pre-orders.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #4918
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Preorders are not the same as pile of loot. You will be charged when it comes in. You will be charged for shipping and tax when it ships out. They use the shipping address to calculate tax. You have 90 days to ship your item once it arrives. I believe if you fail to ship it in 90 days it goes back into inventory and you get a store credit. But I could be off on that last part since I have never failed to ship my pile in time.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #4919
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Preorders are not the same as pile of loot. You will be charged when it comes in. You will be charged for shipping and tax when it ships out. They use the shipping address to calculate tax. You have 90 days to ship your item once it arrives. I believe if you fail to ship it in 90 days it goes back into inventory and you get a store credit. But I could be off on that last part since I have never failed to ship my pile in time.
They keep pushing it back, I thought i'd be paying it in june, but the only one that ever came in was time Baxter
Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #4920
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsavage View Post
In case anyone was worried about getting Chromedome from NECA well after it's been available at Target, I got a shipping notification tonight.
I did too.... Good for NECA on the quick shipping of this one.