The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Make sure to watch Season 5 in production order, not the order it aired on TV.

Fishface and all of Shredder's henchmen appear in Season 5's opening arc. I loved Rat King's final episode as it was an adaption of City at War from Mirage. Seeing Wingnut/Screwloose debut in this show as Batman parodies and then as villains were cool too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #42
Vegita-San
Emperor

you're picking out alot of things wrong with this show. and it's nice to see some others bring them up.

lots of things where brought up for no reason at all, and ignored later on. like suddenly loyal shredder henchmen and shredder getting taken out RIDICULOUSLY easy...and then somehow being mortally and close to death wounded later.

it was VERY hard to take the entire show seriously with crap like this going on all the time.

I think that's why I liked the space arc best. it just tried to focus on fun adventure and didn't try to be heavy, because the heavy stuff NEVER paid off.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post

lots of things where brought up for no reason at all, and ignored later on. like suddenly loyal shredder henchmen and shredder getting taken out RIDICULOUSLY easy...and then somehow being mortally and close to death wounded later.
Just because you don't remember how the episodes played out doesn't mean there was anything wrong. Shredder was never taken out easily by the Turtles, and in his mutated form he obviously could not move as agile as he was a human and use all his ninjitsu moves. Lastly, Leo literally cuts off his head, he never beats him down beyond that.

Lastly beyond Baxter, all of his henchmen were always loyal to him. Baxter probably just liked that he got to work in a lab and experiment with mutagen all the time.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:18 AM   #44
newfan
Mad Scientist

I always thought Tiger Claw was the most loyal, Bradford and Fishface feared him, even though remaining loyal, I got the impression that there was less fear and more respect from Tiger Claw. Baxter was forced to be there and didn't want his mutation but it seems somewhere along the way he had a change of heart.

Only season 5 is tales, it is a different design, from what I remember reading, the 4 seasons was the main story the writers wanted to tell and then they wanted to explore fun tales for the last season. The tales are grouped in arcs of mostly 3, some 4 eps, this actually worked well with Nicks terrible scheduling, at least you see a whole tale before waiting months for more eps.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #45
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Tales of the TMNT is such a great name for a show, too bad it was wasted on a one season sutitle.

The new intro sucks but I'm glad it finally got a totally new intro, it's something TMNT shows have to do.

Tatsu was brought back? So awesome, I remember people here in the drome speculated and was the firm believe that Mirage didn't own the character, guess that's wrong. Too bad they killed him off, after making Tiger Claw into a chump last season they should've let him be the new head of the foot.

So Bradford was killed last season? I had no idea, haha.

Zombie Shredder was not a great idea, it lessened the last season since here he wasn't even a threat.

Bringing hothead was cool but making him a demon? ugh. He should've looked somewhat like a dragon at least.

I forgot to mention before that I loved the Stallone mobster, too bad they killed him here, but goes to show this show had plenty of awesome characters were not used enough so there was no excuse for the show not to be more diverse.

I forgot his name but I did really like the italian mobster and that he had an OT like gimmick, he also should've been used more.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #46
newfan
Mad Scientist

I missed the song from the intro

Tatsu was a good character but short lived, I didn't like HOW hard he was for all turtles and co to fight together, given that Leo defeated Shredder just previously. Very entertaining fight scenes though. I liked it.

Tiger Claw went to great lengths to bring back Shredder rather than run the foot himself which is why I thought him very loyal, course he left when that failed, I guess he just didn't want to lead it.

I thought we'd get more from Zombie Shredder given the build up but he was a puppet, getting his will back a little at the end. It seemed too soon after they just defeated him to use him again also, I guess it was just putting an end that the enemy/old foot story (for the rest of them)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

Season 5 is split into arcs, so make sure to watch each arc from each other. Rahzar dies...twice. He's the only Shredder henchmen to kick the bucket. Probably makes sense since Chris Bradford was the most loyal to Shredder.

Tiger Claw declared a truce with the Turtles and they let Fishface go. Since they were the two new villain mutants created for this show and major characters, I can see why the Nick writers didn't want to kill them off.

I loved the mobsters in general. The Turtles must always face mobsters/gangsters in every incarnation. I love it when they fight organized crime. And yes seeing Tatsu was great even if he was a one-ep character.

I actually liked it that zombie Shredder wasn't a huge threat. Seeing Shredder brought back after they just killed him off would have been repetitive, so this was like some demonized half-dead version of the character. It reminded me of the Ninja Tribunal arc from Season 5 of the 4kids series where the Foot were reuniting his helmet, heart and gauntlet just like this series to revive a demon Shredder.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #48
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Bradford already died or is that a spoiler of him dying again? don't tell me, i'll find out soon enough.

I'm watching in production order as Cubed suggested

I finished watching the monster ar and man did it suck, I went in with an open mind but really f-ck the writers and their boners for horror sh-t, what could've been an amazing 4 episode Renet arc we got instead more god-damn horror tributes, and four episodes of them. Dracula for godsake, vampries are no strangers to TMNT but even the OT found Dracula too silly to actually exist in their universe his appearance there was a quick tv character brought to life. I doubt te writers will ever read this but f-ck you and your horror hard-ons.

The origin episode was quite nice and I think when I watch this show I will make this "episode 0" and watch it first, since it gives us what was missing in the first episode, though I guess it causes some continuity problems with Splinter knowing the Kraang exist and having the turtles know about the kraang even if not by name.

I also watched the newtrilizer/lord dregg episodes. Man I forgot we hadn't seen the newtrilizer for a while, he was an awesome character and needed more appearances. It was nice seeing Lord Dregg again, since I hated him going out like a chump and this invasion even if the episodes were just ok, they gave Dregg the final battle he deserved. Sadly newtrilizer died, he needed to survive.

I hate that the tv show this is just another star trek parody, I liked to see leo geek out again since that was missing since S1 but I did enjoy the different shows being parodied.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

I liked the first monster ep in Egypt because I loved the Mummy and the final ep was good too. The middle two eps could have been condensed into one episode. Basically should have been 3 eps instead of 4. Also vampires have always existed in TMNT since Mirage Volume 1.

Both Dregg and Newtralizer died when the ship exploded. It's also the last appearance of Bishop in the series, and I think it was a great send-off for them. It was a great little mini-arc of Dregg invading the Earth like in the original toon and Newtralizer finally getting a much needed return.

The origin ep is great, it was written by Kevin Eastman too.

You're almost done with the show now sdp, only a few more arcs.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #50
newfan
Mad Scientist

I think as already pointed out, if the writers hadn't been horror happy already this arc would have meant more. I did think it was a fun arc idea and liked the Van Helsing look but I don't think it needed 4 episodes, especially with little to spare in the last season.

I liked Star Trek the next Generation coming in, going back to Leo's favourite show in season 1 but I can see the desire to keep going with yet another show.

I'm glad you created this thread btw, I missed most the 2012 discussion as I joined later, course my posts aren't as insightful as others with limited knowledge of all other incarnations
I didn't stop and realise just how much horror infused the show was until others discussed it, I mean, sure I saw it but I didn't stop and realise the extent, still doesn't put me off the show though

Last edited by newfan; 11-06-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #51
Vegita-San
Emperor

It does for me. by the time we get to the shows only halloween episode, I'm sick to death of horror stuff already. when it should have been fun and goofy.

I'm hoping the next iteration has all it's ducks in a row and is a little more fun, a littler more adventurish, and doesn't try to be something bigger than it's parts. but i doubt it.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #52
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I kind of liked that the foot soldiers became robots but at the same time i didn't want all the foot to be robots.
Not all Foot soldiers were robots.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #53
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I finally finished watching the show.

The second crossover episode was a disappointment, not bad but didn't leave me super hyped like the original crossover did. I go into detail in the crossover thread since that thread was still active and my comments felt better suited there than here.

The Usagi arc was a bit boring, I wanted to love it but meh, it wasn't bad either but it felt so dull. I did like that it felt as a Usaji / TMNT crossover and not TMNT/Usaji crossover if that makes any sense. Not only were the turtles in Usaji's world but also it was a plot of Usaji and not the TMNT they were dealing with.

Finally the road warrior arc was so awesome, easily one of my favorites in the show. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic futures and it was all well done. I gotta find that talkback as well to see other's opinion because as much as I love the episodes, I don't like that this apocalyptic future is the actual future of these turtles, it's bittersweet and I prefer my ultra happy ending in my TMNT cartoons. Maybe I can think of it as an alternate universe the turtles travel to eventually or something.

The zombie shredder arc definitely had more of a finale feel, even with the "wait I want to look at the sky a little more". I think there's a thread discussing which is the series finale, I'll go read that one later as well. Only reason zombie shredder can't be the final episode is they pretty much reference it in the universal monsters arc that they've battled "demons & zombies" so while not explicit they haven't done either of those things before that arc.

I'll post my thoughts on the overall series a little later, I gotta go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Not all Foot soldiers were robots.
It sure seemed like there were no more human foot later on, unless you mean Karai's red foot ninjas in which case you're right but I was referring to Shredder's.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought the Usagi eps, especially the first and last episodes, were great. They really captured the Usagi feel and universe well. The riding on the horses, the snow cat scenes on the snowy mountain, all the fights with Jei, etc.

Also make sure to watch the Ice Cream Kitty music video, its a 2 minute video and you can find it on youtube. It's a hilarious sendoff to the Nick TMNT era if you haven't seen it.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #55
newfan
Mad Scientist

There were a lot of comments on the Apocalypse arc in the thread and a lot of arguing over it being an AU in the season 5 thread.

Agreed on End times arc, made slightly bigger too.

Last edited by newfan; 11-06-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #56
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Some final thoughts, I wanted to post these before but after monday I was super busy and I"ll be fairly busy for the rest of the week, so looks like I finished just in time as I'd only be able to watch about one episode (normal speed) per day.

I realized how both Kraang and non-super Shredder were defeated in a lackluster way. I mean yeah they were defeated but I never expected those to be their final defeats, especially the Kraang since they had been defeated similarly before and the Triceratons were the main focus.

Overall I enjoyed the series as I mentioned, many of the problems I had before I stopped watching after season 2 were no longer big problems though I did find plenty of new ones. April/Karai were just characters that I never liked in the show, the horror stuff as you guys know by now also sucked, a few of their changes I was not a fan.

Overall I would rate it as my least favorite after 2k3 and the OT, but that doesn't mean I think it sucks or that 2k3/OT are flawless, those two shows have plenty of annoying things to me, I just have more problems with the Nick show. Still an awesome cartoon and worthy of the TMNT name.

I still want to discuss the final episode but I'll do that in the main thread, man what a bittersweet ending, not one that I wanted for the show but whatever.

I'm also not done with this thread, when I have time, hopefully tomorrow I'll watch the 2007 movie and try to fit it in continuity with the show, I don't think it should be too difficult besides obviously some events having to have occurred off-screen before then but whatever I'll do my best to shoehorn it in.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well as you know, Splinter is alive in the 2007 movie and shorter than the Turtles, so I imagine that would be rather hard?

Nick has my favorite version of Karai thus far, not counting the original Mirage one. I wish the snake mutation never happened but personality and story wise she was the best.

Also did you watch the Ice Cream Kitty music video yet? Made by Nick themselves using the shows graphics and Greg Cipes singing it as Mikey?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #58
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I did watch the Ice Cream Kitty music video and it was awesome, a nice way to say good bye to the series. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Yeah I was thinking about how to fit it in, obviously Splinter would have to come back to life but as we saw in Season 5 it's very well possible. Kinda sucky this has to happen off-screen but whatever.

April not using her psychic powers well hopefully she lost them or we just don't see her using them, easy as that.

Karai not being mutated? Well maybe she finally de-mutated or she just didn't mutate since she could obviously control it in the show.

Karai wasn't really "bad" in the movie, she had her job, her hinting at Shredder's return well we don't know what may have gone on.

For the most part everything else fits perfectly, the turtles are older and yet have the same personalities, Splinter is now old etc.

The Nick show actually referenced the movie, in one episode Raph mentions "Remember Leo when you talked me out of becoming a vigilante called the Nightwatcher". So, I guess to make it fit, we have to think that without Leo he finally became the Nightwatcher and we can assume Leo just forgot about that whole incident or at least the name.

I haven't watched that movie in many years so maybe there's more inconsistencies but those are the ones I remember.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well the Turtles and April/Casey are all older in the movie, Turtles look around 18 and April/Casey/Karai are adults. As said Splinter would have to come back to life somehow...and get shorter.

Karai also has an accent in the movie whereas her Nick voice actor does not. Also the voice of Shredder from the Nick show also voiced the main stone General in the 4th movie, so you'll be hearing Shredder's voice come out of one of the main villains in the movie.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #60
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah I picked up KMR's voice right away in that movie. (2007)

Karai would have an accent, seen as I assume she's been in Japan all of her life until she moves to New York (that may not be her story in Nick though) but I liked her with this accent. I also didn't care for the mutation being permanent but at least she still got to transform into herself and wasn't permanently a snake, I would have hated that. Was that (besides them being mutant happy) to show how Shredders rage for Splinter was destroying himself and those he loved? just like him being burned in the first place, killing Shen and then of course becoming Super Shredder at the end.

My view on the end has already been expressed, I feel similar to you enjoyment wise, SDP, as in it was very good as an episode/arc but as their ending, no.

Last edited by newfan; 11-08-2017 at 11:38 PM.